Using AA Flight Credit online

Old Feb 23, 21, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Using AA Flight Credit online

I went to my wallet on my AA account & picked one of the two "flight credits" that I have. I followed the instructions and clicked on the link to book a new itinerary. In their example there should be an "Add Flight Credit" button when you get to payment. There is none. The AA website is wanting to put the full fare on my credit card and not use any credits. So I'm not going any further with payment.

What am I doing wrong? Is it really not possible to use a "flight credit" on the website and I need to call in to book it and use it?
Old Feb 23, 21, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by BobOscar View Post
I went to my wallet on my AA account & picked one of the two "flight credits" that I have. I followed the instructions and clicked on the link to book a new itinerary. In their example there should be an "Add Flight Credit" button when you get to payment. There is none. The AA website is wanting to put the full fare on my credit card and not use any credits. So I'm not going any further with payment.

What am I doing wrong? Is it really not possible to use a "flight credit" on the website and I need to call in to book it and use it?
Have you clicked on Other Forms of Payment? A few months back I had a flight credit, had to put the flight on hold and call in with the flight credit.
Old Feb 23, 21, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George View Post
Have you clicked on Other Forms of Payment? A few months back I had a flight credit, had to put the flight on hold and call in with the flight credit.
That brings up Travel Voucher, no option for flight credit...
Old Feb 23, 21, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BobOscar View Post
That brings up Travel Voucher, no option for flight credit...
Ok I remember. I had to call in with the flight credit. So just put the flight on hold and call in with the PNR. They will apply the flight credit and take cc information for the balance due.
Old Feb 23, 21, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I believe that the instructions for flight credit are that one must call in.
Old Feb 23, 21, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Ok I remember. I had to call in with the flight credit. So just put the flight on hold and call in with the PNR. They will apply the flight credit and take cc information for the balance due.
Thanks George. Quick call to get the credit applied. On my AA account it just shows the total due for the flights; not broken down by credit and credit card. And for some reason it didn't show up immediately on the AA credit card..I assume she got it right..
Old Feb 23, 21, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Glob-Lite, MLife Gold, Caesar's Diamond+, Delta and Southwest basic this year...
I can't keep up with their definitions of voucher versus flight credit versus trip versus whatever other names they use, but for many of them, you have to call. Southwest has a system for this for many years but the other airlines this is all still fairly new territory and technology.
Old Feb 24, 21, 9:15 am

Programs: American, Spirit, Air Niugini
Next to the "flight credit" it will say "trip credit." Put the same number in the "trip credit" box & it'll let you through.
Old Feb 24, 21, 9:46 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
IME it can be redeemed online but there are some limitations.

I cancelled a trip back in December for four passengers. When I book a new trip with four passengers, the option for redeeming the credit online is not there. But if I book a new trip with 1 or 2 passengers, the option is available. I ended up putting the reservation for 4 on hold and then calling AA to redeem the credit.
Old Feb 24, 21, 1:43 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
OP - You are not doing anything wrong as I have the same experience. Can retrieve the tkt # and see the credit, but upon creating a new reservation there doesn't seem to be any method to apply/pay for it. If I attempt to rebook from the credit reservation it doesn't give me the option to make it a round trip as it was originally a one-way so only prompts me with one-way reservation search criteria.
Old Feb 24, 21, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's a difference between an electronic flight voucher which has a long number and a four digit pin and a flight credit. The latter can be used online, the former requires you to put the reservation on hold and call in to ticket.

Me thinks like gift cards AA will hope (and plans) that a certain percentage of people will forget about the flight credit or not know how to use it and not call in.
jmrp likes this.
Old Feb 24, 21, 3:46 pm

I had a flight credit, which I tried every which way to use online. Simply would not work. Finally called and the agent applied it without any issue. Seemed to me that the new flight was linked to the previous PNR. Bottom line: simply call.
Old Feb 24, 21, 3:56 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Itís hit or miss. Sometimes it doesnít even display the option.

If youíre adverse to calling, Iíve had some success getting their Twitter staff to put it in and queue it for ticketing, Keep in mind these flight credits are really unused tickets, all with potentially different rules.
Old Feb 24, 21, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold,
There's a difference between an electronic flight voucher which has a long number and a four digit pin and a flight credit. The latter can be used online, the former requires you to put the reservation on hold and call in to ticket.

Me thinks like gift cards AA will hope (and plans) that a certain percentage of people will forget about the flight credit or not know how to use it and not call in.
e Vouchers are entered online under "other forms of payment" just put it in as a gift card would be. you can enter up to 8 I think RT
Old Feb 24, 21, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

I think that it is a combination of "breakage" which is built into the valuation of all credits no matter what they are called and the fact that this scheme was created and implemented on very short notice.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: