J award with infant, Swiss vs Etihad

Old Feb 19, 21, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
J award with infant, Swiss vs Etihad

Hi, First time travelling with my wife and our 18 month old daughter.in J from JFK or IAD to Asia. Have two options

1. Use LifeMiles on SWISS out of JFK. Two legs, both operated by A330. Confirmed with Swiss that they will be able to issue an infant ticket on LifeMiles ticket for cash
2. Use AAdvantage miles on Etihad out of JFK or IAD. Two legs, first operated by 787 and second by 777. Confirmed with Etihad that infant ticket can be issued AA Award

Both don't offer bassinets for 18 month old. So have to use car seat or use one of our seats. Have flown Etihad many times, never flown SWISS.
Etihad seems to be a better option due the honeymoon seats in J but they don't become double bed.. Flying nannies are a plus too. However, never flown SWISS and read some great reviews about them, so would love to try it.

Any recommendations/experiences on either one with toddlers? Any pros / cons I need to be aware of?
Old Feb 20, 21, 7:13 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Given that this is the AA forum I doubt you're going to get many extensive reviews or opinions about flying Swiss business class with a child. I would do some reading over in the LH/OS/LX forum.

Only thing I can say is that using AA miles, keep in mind that booking US-Asia via AUH on EY will price as two awards.
Old Feb 20, 21, 1:55 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by seshrama2 View Post
Hi, First time travelling with my wife and our 18 month old daughter.in J from JFK or IAD to Asia. Have two options

1. Use LifeMiles on SWISS out of JFK. Two legs, both operated by A330. Confirmed with Swiss that they will be able to issue an infant ticket on LifeMiles ticket for cash
2. Use AAdvantage miles on Etihad out of JFK or IAD. Two legs, first operated by 787 and second by 777. Confirmed with Etihad that infant ticket can be issued AA Award

Both don't offer bassinets for 18 month old. So have to use car seat or use one of our seats. Have flown Etihad many times, never flown SWISS.
Etihad seems to be a better option due the honeymoon seats in J but they don't become double bed.. Flying nannies are a plus too. However, never flown SWISS and read some great reviews about them, so would love to try it.

Any recommendations/experiences on either one with toddlers? Any pros / cons I need to be aware of?
I have no experience with Etihad, but have been very satisfied with the service on Swiss and find the Zurich airport very convenient for making connections.
Old Feb 20, 21, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Thank you for your responses ! Yeah, EY award prices as two awards, but donít have any other option, AA, JL and CX have no availability.

Looking for information on the seats on EY and any experience from anyone who has travelled with them with a child on lap ?

Will post Swiss question to LX/LH/OS forum

thanks again !
Old Feb 21, 21, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond (Aspire)
never had the little one as a lap child, but have done (and still do) plenty swiss flights since awards used to be easy to come by (MIA-ZRH-VIE being my main award route) - Swiss J beats economy but I do not find it special, I prefer it over LH due to the bigger foot area - but that's about it.

I'd be on EY if given a choice

Search this Thread
Search Engine: