What's a Good Transatlantic PE Fare?

Old Feb 16, 2021, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlat
What's a Good Transatlantic PE Fare?

Looking at CLT-PHL-FCO for much later in the year. Current PE fare is ~$2,500. I've never shopped PE fares, so I'm not sure if that is a COVID low and I should jump on it (assuming I want to pay it in the first place), a normal fare, or if it's on the high side and should wait. Traveling as a party of 6, so a $500 fare difference either way has an impact. Thoughts?
Old Feb 16, 2021, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
$2500 is atrocious for TATL PE. $2000 is horrible for regular economy, for that matter. Good ole CLT fares...

I would look at positioning to another city. For example I plugged a few random dates for the Fall in and you can get JFK-FCO in PE for $1100 ish, slightly higher from MIA, ORD, etc.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 7:47 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
agreed that fare is way to high..not knowing exactly when you are planning to go.. wait a bit.. fares accordingly do go up and down a lot.
what we do is pick a month we would like to travel and just wait for a decent price to book the trip... success so far is about 9/10
Old Feb 16, 2021, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Reposition to JFK and you can get JFK-FCO in business for $1864 roundtrip throughout the summer (with 7-day minimum stay). PE is available from around $1200 roundtrip on non-stop flights ($1100 on connections -- as mentioned above).
dvs7310 and Gig103 like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Feb 16, 2021 at 8:05 am
Old Feb 16, 2021, 8:26 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Gosh those fares seem astronomical. Originating in Europe they are far less expensive!
Old Feb 16, 2021, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlat
Thanks for the feedback. Fares do seem high to me. It kills me, because I had a web special to fly CLT-PHL-FCO over Easter for 35K miles each in coach. That is obviously not happening, and I almost cried when I gave up those seats because they were so cheap. Looking at Christmas/New Year's now with fingers crossed.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 12:03 pm

Omg not even J is that much on some transatlantic routes
Old Feb 16, 2021, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
From the east coast, $2K roundtrip fare in J and $1.2K in PE seem like normal advance purchase rates.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 12:19 pm

Programs: Costco Club
I honestly like AAs regular economy on long haul than PE if it’s the PE with the hard immovable arm rests. I’d much rather have an MCE or just regular coach seat.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Considering the soft product of PE is now gone invariably forever you are paying for a domestic F seat to go transatlantic. That's fine as long as your expectations are in check about what PE gives you now in this cost cutting, I mean Covid, world.
bostontraveler likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
the flights are so empty now that it probably doesn't even justify the cost.
I have seen some incredible deals in business, not on AA but on European carriers for less than that price. TP is particularly aggressive but it depends on the market.
That said, I don't think Europe will be open for non-EU citizens until the end of the summer....
Old Feb 16, 2021, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Don’t book anything yet, the likelihood you’ll be able to travel is low.
aztimm and dw like this.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickRivas
Omg not even J is that much on some transatlantic routes
Yeah, I generally don't need to pay more than ~$2,200 for r/t J to Europe (pre-COVID), although that's originating in the more competitive NYC market. I think I almost did PE for ~$1500 once when I couldn't find reasonable J, but then I must have found something because I still have never flown PE.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by cyberkarl
Looking at CLT-PHL-FCO for much later in the year. Current PE fare is ~$2,500. I've never shopped PE fares, so I'm not sure if that is a COVID low and I should jump on it (assuming I want to pay it in the first place), a normal fare, or if it's on the high side and should wait. Traveling as a party of 6, so a $500 fare difference either way has an impact. Thoughts?
FCO has always had relatively high fares

If you are willing to take a calculated risk, you can book PE to LHR or MAD for a lot less and then just book a separate flight from either city to FCO
Old Feb 19, 2021, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by fly747first
FCO has always had relatively high fares

If you are willing to take a calculated risk, you can book PE to LHR or MAD for a lot less and then just book a separate flight from either city to FCO
Or try Milan (use MIL to get better results). Much more competition. 2h40 on the FrecciaRossa...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.