Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 77W / 777-300ER upgrade strategy RT MIA-LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2021, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite

Hey folks,

Was hoping to solicit advice on the best strategy to get an EXP, his wife and two kids (16 and 10) into business RT MIA - LAX on the 77W. I’m paying cash for both legs for all of us and I have 4 SWUs.

The flights are in March, on Saturdays (both), and are super cheap with dozens of J seats available at present.

Is the play to book the wife and kid 1 into main cabin, use SWUs to upgrade them, and just waitlist myself (EXP) and kid 2?

it looks like if I gamble and lose on the waitlist upgrade, we also lose out on the flagship lounge at MIA (in that only 2 of us could enter, the ones upgraded with SWUs).

However, if we gamble and win on the waitlist, we all get flagship lounge, and I would have the same thing working for the return LAX-MIA (wife and kid 1 upgraded with SWUs, myself and kid 2 waitlisted)

Hopefully this isn’t too convoluted, I figure if anyone can set me straight it’s the awesome FT community. Thanks.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 1:59 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by Hot Pocket
we also lose out on the flagship lounge at MIA (in that only 2 of us could enter, the ones upgraded with SWUs).
Flagship lounges are currently not open, nor are they expected to be in the near future.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
Ooof. As a lowly AC member who usually has basic domestic routings, I had assumed they had reopened along the same schedule as the ACs. Thanks for the data point.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Yea, basically 0% chance you will find yourself in a Flagship lounge in March. Still should have a nice time in the air though! Make sure to at least select PE seats for the two awaiting upgrade so "worst case" you have a nice recliner.

You could also SWU two on the outbound and the other two for the return so everyone has at least one guaranteed leg up front? Although I understand if you want to make sure the wife is up front the whole time no matter what.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Incidentially, are 500 milers doable on those flights?
Old Feb 16, 2021, 1:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Yes
Old Feb 16, 2021, 1:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Yes -- and the flights are so cheap that I'm speculatively buying a few in Y, to fly if they clear into J on 500-milers. We're talking a whopping $28.00 each way (or 1,820 Amex MR points after the 35% rebate) on Amex Travel... a few bucks more on AA.com... and this is not Basic Economy.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 7:04 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Yes -- and the flights are so cheap that I'm speculatively buying a few in Y, to fly if they clear into J on 500-milers. We're talking a whopping $28.00 each way (or 1,820 Amex MR points after the 35% rebate) on Amex Travel... a few bucks more on AA.com... and this is not Basic Economy.
I have been doing weekly RTs from ORD-LAX on the 777 for the past 2 months, and what I have found is that many ExPlats are also doing it and getting upgraded. While the back of the plane has not been full, and I (as a plat) am able to get PE seating at the time of booking, the front is full, and I suspect that it is full because of EXP and Platpros getting the UG along with non-revs.

I did pay stickers for one UG flight, but in truth, for a 3+ hour flight, is the lie-flat seat worth the 4 stickers, especially given that the total service is a pass with the drink cart (I don't drink so that makes no difference to me, but I think there was no alcohol on the cart anyway), and what can be tactfully said is a "meh" sandwich or some other less than appetizing "repast ).

The recliner seat I pay for is equivalent to any F seat on other AA planes. I have been comfortable in it and bringing my own meal is far better than the one doled out on the plane.

My suggestion. Save the money, get the PE seats and if you get an UG (very likely), give it to the wife and you sit with the kids in PE.

Aah, the future dividends you will receive
Old Feb 16, 2021, 2:56 pm

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
There is an irops on March 4th only. 77W on the LAX-DFW-LAX. Non flagship so it’s 60 domestic first seats you need to be quick and snag a flagship suite. I think there’s only 1 seat left in row 1 each direction.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 10:02 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
I’m on MIALAX often. I just usually buy the J seat. It’s a tough upgrade to clear, even during COVID and even with a massive J cabin.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Depends on the time of year. I took the MIA-LAX flight last December and they were selling cash upgrades at the gate.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 5:30 pm

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
Originally Posted by MAH4546
I’m on MIALAX often. I just usually buy the J seat. It’s a tough upgrade to clear, even during COVID and even with a massive J cabin.
It would be better around a major holiday like Easter or the Passover seders. And after thanksgiving but before Christmas.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 8:49 am

Programs: Avios
I am a platinum and I will be taking this flight in May.If I use upgrade stickers ,will I clear before an Concierge/ Executive platinum using a "free upgrade" . I think platinum with stickers can confirm 48 hours before travel??
Old Feb 18, 2021, 9:15 am

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by Tilto007
I am a platinum and I will be taking this flight in May.If I use upgrade stickers ,will I clear before an Concierge/ Executive platinum using a "free upgrade" . I think platinum with stickers can confirm 48 hours before travel??
No, higher status members with complementary upgrades will still clear before stickers. Also don't hold your breath at the 48 hour mark even if space is available. Unless the plane is deserted they will almost certainly make you wait til a lot closer to the flight even if your upgrade does clear. Good luck though!
Tilto007 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 10:08 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by HiAperture
No, higher status members with complementary upgrades will still clear before stickers. Also don't hold your breath at the 48 hour mark even if space is available. Unless the plane is deserted they will almost certainly make you wait til a lot closer to the flight even if your upgrade does clear. Good luck though!
Yes to the above on timing of the UG.

On my one experience using my stickers, I waited until hours before the flight to get the UG and there were only 2 available seats in the J section. Neither were particularly prime locations either. This was a flight that was half empty in the back, too.

This is another reason why I was less than thrilled to use stickers to UG this flight. Other than a lie flat seat on a 3+ hour morning flight with no other service (in essence), the benefit over the PE domestic F type seat just wasn't worth the additional stickers, IMO.

OTOH, for a EXP or Platpro, who cares. It's a free UG if you get it.
Tilto007 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.