Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Cancelled BA metal flights due to COVID, AA not being flexible with rebooking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2021, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SM

I was scheduled to fly in J from CDG-LHR-SEA-LHR-CDG but three of the four legs were cancelled and I was rebooked onto only the LHR-SEA-LHR legs.

When I called AA to sort everything out, they said that actually I can't fly only LHR-SEA-LHR because it originates in a different country and they can't process it through the system due to the difference in currency. They said that the only option now is routing through Dallas on AA metal which is much longer and leaves at times that don't work for me.

I asked if they could move it up a week and they said that I'd have to pay the fare difference. Should they be offering a free rebooking in this scenario?

They're offering a refund also but as I scored a $1,300 business class roundtrip fare, I'd like to use it!
Old Feb 15, 2021, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
when are you scheduled to fly?.. that might answer why AA is only offering the DFW option
Old Feb 15, 2021, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fotographer
when are you scheduled to fly?.. that might answer why AA is only offering the DFW option
Scheduled for March 12-21. They said I could bump forward or backward a day, but a week would incur the $5,000+ fare difference. Seems like they're being pretty intransigent given this was an involuntary change and I already offered to make the remaining LHR-SEA-LHR legs work on my end.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
At the very least I would try HUCA a few times to see of you can get an agent that will let you change the dates without charging the fare difference.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 7:42 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I would call AA again... sometimes you will get an agent that actually knows enough to help you out..
of course at present you may encounter a longer then usual wait time given the weather across the states..

let us know what happnens
Old Feb 15, 2021, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
At the very least I would try HUCA a few times to see of you can get an agent that will let you change the dates without charging the fare difference.
Big proponent of HUCA, but this time around it's just been frustrating to get different answers from different people.

In your opinion, is it better to ask them to waive the fare difference for the trouble or pretend that I don't know it should be applied?
Old Feb 15, 2021, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by ruby&carlos
Big proponent of HUCA, but this time around it's just been frustrating to get different answers from different people.

In your opinion, is it better to ask them to waive the fare difference for the trouble or pretend that I don't know it should be applied?
Oh definitely play dumb and act like it's your first time calling about the schedule change. I wouldn't even suggest anything, just see what the agent comes up with. If they offer the DFW routing again, say it won't work due to the timing on that day, but it actually would work if you could move the dates up/back by a week to whatever your preferred dates are now. Then just cross your fingers.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 9:28 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
You are entitled to change your impacted departure date by one day in either direction, or, alternatively, receive a refund. That's the policy.

If that works, check schedules and call AA with a specific request. If there is availability in business class on AA/BA and/or OW carriers, they can rebook you--do not need same booking class code inventory.
dw and AAExecPlatFlier like this.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Feb 15, 2021 at 9:31 am Reason: amplification.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

With the BA flights being cancelled, then BA is liable under EC261 to rebook

Under EC261, you are entitled to be rebooked at the earliest opportunity or at a later tine subject to availability

Even in this case, you are entitled only to travel at a later date and not an earlier one - if a later date works, then try contacting BA
Old Feb 16, 2021, 3:33 am

As a data point, when BA cancelled both the Brussels legs on a BRU-LHR-SFO-LHR-BRU trip, I was able to change it to LHR-SFO-LHR and get refunds for both of the Brussels legs!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.