Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting Connundrum JAL or Qatar??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2021, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 8MM Exec,Life Plat, Marriott Amb,Life Titanium, ,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist.
Interesting Connundrum JAL or Qatar??

I need to go from Bangkok-JFK-Bangkok from April to end of May. I have secured round trip on JAL in First class using 220,000 AA miles. I enjoy JAL's food and service and three checked bags however their entertainment is weak imho. Today I noticed that I can purchase a r/t on Qatar Airways in J, for about $3300 round trip from Bangkok.....From Bangkok to Qatar, it is showing a 350 and from Qatar to JFK a 350 with Qsuites (i have never tried). Connection times are FAR better with Qatar and I am sapphire and would earn miles on AA I believe?. That said, I am in J and not First? I am also almost 6'5'' so space is one of my concerns. Thoughts from someone with more experience than me?

Thanks in Advance!
Old Feb 15, 2021, 12:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by NYCtraveler
I need to go from Bangkok-JFK-Bangkok from April to end of May. I have secured round trip on JAL in First class using 220,000 AA miles. I enjoy JAL's food and service and three checked bags however their entertainment is weak imho. Today I noticed that I can purchase a r/t on Qatar Airways in J, for about $3300 round trip from Bangkok.....From Bangkok to Qatar, it is showing a 350 and from Qatar to JFK a 350 with Qsuites (i have never tried). Connection times are FAR better with Qatar and I am sapphire and would earn miles on AA I believe?. That said, I am in J and not First? I am also almost 6'5'' so space is one of my concerns. Thoughts from someone with more experience than me?

Thanks in Advance!
I'm a huge JAL F fan and can't wait to fly it again, but if the QR flights are substantially better timed, that might be the deciding factor for me. A350 Q Suites are a great product, the bed is 6 foot 7 inches long, and there's good privacy with the closing door, etc. QR has (had?) longhaul F on its A380 on very limited routes (I believe we flew it BKK-DOH and DOH-CDG) but most of its planes don't have longhaul F. (I say "longhaul F" because QR refers to regional two-class premium seats as F rather than J, but it's the same product as longhaul J.)

The other thing to consider is what the inflight service on JAL is these days, which I have no idea. QR has been great during Covid (essentially the same as pre-Covid) so if JAL's service is reduced then that could be another factor.

Also if you're equally content to spend the $3300rt to fly QR, then consider that you're only getting an effective 1.5 cents per mile on your 220,000 miles if you spend them on JAL.
NYCtraveler and SFO777 like this.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 4:01 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Havent flown JAL but QR 350 Q-suites is GREAT!!! 3300 is a damn good price!
Old Feb 15, 2021, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 8MM Exec,Life Plat, Marriott Amb,Life Titanium, ,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist.
YES! Its rare to see the fares so low with good equipment......Which leads me to think I should try something "New".....I have done Jal in F at least 10 times and have never seen a Q suite?......perhaps it is time to step out of my comfort zone a bit and try something new and earn some miles Thanks.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 6:46 am

Can you use miles for the QR award? I think it would require 2 awards but still the same 110k as JL F. My preference would be to spend miles vs $ if at all possible.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 7:09 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
QR is the way to go... having done JL F prior... nice but QR is really nice
NYCtraveler and asnovici like this.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 1:07 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Yeah, I flown both. I do think JAL F is absolutely phenomenal and it is one of the things I can't wait to do again.

That being said QR in J and especially in Q-Suites is hard to beat. I have flown both QR "regular" J on the A350-900 and QSuites on the A350 both are a great product.

Because QR doesn't really do 3 cabin, and with the 380s down don't have any long haul F. I think the service in J is closer to what you will find in F on JAL.

Dine on demand, a set of PJs etc.

Just watch out on that cheap J fare as QR has unbundled lounge access for J. As a OW S you will still have a lounge in DOH, but it is no where near as good as the true J lounge.

I think either way you can't really go wrong.
NYCtraveler likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Thank you!

It will be the regular J from BKK to Qatar and then Q suites from Qatar to JFK........I will purchase today. Thank you for everyones help. It's just that First is few and far between these days and I hate to give it up.....alas...I will live to fly another day THANKS ALL! Travel safe!
platbrownguy likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
It will be the regular J from BKK to Qatar and then Q suites from Qatar to JFK........I will purchase today. Thank you for everyones help. It's just that First is few and far between these days and I hate to give it up.....alas...I will live to fly another day THANKS ALL! Travel safe!
Let us know what you think!

Also, it sounds like your connections are short (during which the Al Mourjan lounge is a nice place to kill a few hours...), but if you end up with >6 hours in DOH and want a place to take off the mask, the airside hotel is really very nice (with a great swimming pool, gym, and spa). A little pricey (and QR doesn't pay for it), but we found it to be well worth it on our 2 layovers of ~9 hours each a few months ago. Also, even if you're not a hotel guest, you can pay ~$50 to pop into the pool/gym/shower area; it's right above the main terminal area, airside.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 12:01 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Having done JL F before I wasnt impressed. Its nice but the service was not ideal. In fact I made a complaint to the purser and she just shrugged her shoulders. I am sure it was a one off but I havent had these types of service fails in other non US based airlines F experiences.

I would take QR J for that price. Their J has never failed in my experience.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by asnovici
Having done JL F before I wasnt impressed. Its nice but the service was not ideal. In fact I made a complaint to the purser and she just shrugged her shoulders. I am sure it was a one off but I havent had these types of service fails in other non US based airlines F experiences.

I would take QR J for that price. Their J has never failed in my experience.
JL also likes to keep their aircraft like sauna's. I am unable to sleep because it is so hot.

QR definitely has a better service product. The Q Suites are swanky, but fall short in the same way that most suite products do; the quest to add a door means your feet are basically trapped. I actually prefer QR's 2-2-2- old J class on the 777s. The amount of space is unparalleled.
asnovici likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 12:38 pm

Double check the booking class as if it is “R” then you don’t get all the normal business class benefits - including lounge access. You status should get you access but just make sure you know exactly what your getting as it’s caught a few people out.

enjoy!!
Old Feb 16, 2021, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Hawes7701
Double check the booking class as if it is “R” then you don’t get all the normal business class benefits - including lounge access. You status should get you access but just make sure you know exactly what your getting as it’s caught a few people out.

enjoy!!
Status will not get you access to the Al Mourjan and Al Safwah lounges. There is a OW lounge that you can access, but that's it.
carlosdca likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Has anyone flown on an award business class (U) ticket and know whether they were allowed in the "real" lounge or only the status lounge?
Old Mar 13, 2021, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by estnet
Has anyone flown on an award business class (U) ticket and know whether they were allowed in the "real" lounge or only the status lounge?
Real lounge

Unbundled doesn't apply to AA issued tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.