Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA announces major increase in service to mountain West states

Old Feb 12, 2021, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt

From TPG...... The latest update is from American Airlines, which is adding two brand-new destinations to its network. The Fort Worth-based carrier confirmed to TPG that it will be launching its first-ever flights to Eureka, California (ACV) and Idaho Falls, Idaho (IDA) this summer.

American will fly once-daily to Eureka from its Phoenix hub, and twice-daily to Idaho Falls — one route from Dallas/Fort Worth and another from Phoenix.

Additionally.......
Specifically, the carrier is launching new seasonal service from both its Los Angeles (LAX) and Phoenix (PHX) hubs, as follows:
  • Los Angeles (LAX) – Durango, Colorado (DRO)
  • Los Angeles (LAX) – Grand Junction, Colorado (GJT)
  • Los Angeles (LAX) – Missoula, Montana (MSO)
  • Phoenix (PHX) – Bozeman, Montana (BZN)
ronp101 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 12:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Would you please post the link to your source?

I don't think these are all new services. I'm fairly certain that HP and possibly US flew PHX-BZN at some point.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...ifornia-idaho/
Old Feb 13, 2021, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
Would you please post the link to your source?

I don't think these are all new services. I'm fairly certain that HP and possibly US flew PHX-BZN at some point.
I guess TPG is defining "new" as post-merger.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
The post states: "two brand-new destinations" "first-ever flights to Eureka, California (ACV) and Idaho Falls, Idaho (IDA) this summer."

and then "Additionally..."

Originally Posted by aztimm
I'm fairly certain that HP and possibly US flew PHX-BZN at some point.
If doesn't claim Bozeman as one of the two brand-new destinations. Did any of the airlines fly to ACV or IDA?
Old Feb 13, 2021, 10:40 pm

It’s like the third time ACV has had AA-branded service.

WingsWest ran SJC-ACV American Eagle services using Metroliners in the late 80s/early 90s.

Eagle also ran LAX service in the early 2010s.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 3:16 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I don't know if I'd call this a "major increase in service," but new service is always nice.
Spanish, wrp96, steve64 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 6:05 am

Considering the size of these places, it’s probably major for those destinations! Question is whether this is driven by growth there or by changes in vacation patterns (or both). Either way, good news.
Spanish and writerguyfl like this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Given that much of it is very, very seasonal, I'm going to say more of the vacation variety. On the other hand, there is a huge property / housing boom going on in Idaho, Montana and Utah. Californians (who can) are pulling up the stakes and running to the hills and these destinations could become more permanent.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 1:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by CPRich
The post states: "two brand-new destinations" "first-ever flights to Eureka, California (ACV) and Idaho Falls, Idaho (IDA) this summer."

and then "Additionally..."

If doesn't claim Bozeman as one of the two brand-new destinations. Did any of the airlines fly to ACV or IDA?
My post was current with the information posted in the OP as of when I posted. The source wasn't provided, nor was a quote to that source.

I also had posted, "I don't think these are all new services." The OP seemed to infer that they were. Perhaps if people follow the rules with posting, we'd avoid these misunderstandings
Old Feb 15, 2021, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Idaho Falls is not a brand new destination. It had AA mainline service in the past. AA used to have tags from SLC timed for cross-connections i.e. MD-80s routing DFW/ORD - SLC - IDA/JAC.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I love how a few (mostly seasonal) flights is a HUGE expansion. Some of these bloggers really exaggerate the headline. AA, like everyone else including Southwest, is trying to find successful markets in the pandemic times.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by formeraa
I love how a few (mostly seasonal) flights is a HUGE expansion. Some of these bloggers really exaggerate the headline.
And it's sadder still that relatively unimportant content posted on useless blogs credit card pitch sites gets reposted here so often.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.