Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines and DFW Winter Weather (February 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2021, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant

I hate "Sky Is Falling" weather posts, but the forecast next few days in DFW is by North Texas standards awful. There have only been four winters in recorded history where the low has broken zero, but they are promising us next week will be number five.

Having grown up farther north, I understand this will not impress you in Chicago. But we're not really equipped to deal with it here, especially if the freezing rain and snow happen as predicted. (As a former cold state boy, I would say it will be too cold to snow. But not having a meteorology degree or a weather radar my opinion isn't worth much). Check the Weather Channel and book your arrangements accordingly.
wrp96 and Antarius like this.

Last edited by jayer; Feb 12, 2021 at 8:56 pm
Old Feb 12, 2021, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I'm in Tucson scheduled to come back Sunday. I changed my flight to come back tomorrow. I don't trust the weather and DFW to get back Sunday.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 9:23 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by jayer
I hate "Sky Is Falling" weather posts, but the forecast next few days in DFW is by North Texas standards awful. There have only been four winters in recorded history where the low has broken zero, but they are promising us next week will be number five.

Having grown up farther north, I understand this will not impress you in Chicago. But we're not really equipped to deal with it here, especially if the freezing rain and snow happen as predicted. (As a former cold state boy, I would say it will be too cold to snow. But not having a meteorology degree or a weather radar my opinion isn't worth much). Check the Weather Channel and book your arrangements accordingly.
That accident in north Fort Worth on I35W was incredible.

Good luck to all in Dallas. We are talking about moving there (husband is native to Dallas) and the weather this week and next has me saying if I am going to live as a yankee in the south it had better be warmer than DFW!
idainc and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
I'm in Tucson scheduled to come back Sunday. I changed my flight to come back tomorrow. I don't trust the weather and DFW to get back Sunday.
was the change expensive ? No change fee but have to pay last minute fares.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 6:29 am

Programs: AA,UA,AS
No snow or rain yet, but they’re de-icing this morning. Took 45 minutes with no line. Gonna be a long day, glad I’m out early.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 6:48 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Stocktc1
I changed my flight and there was no fare difference to pay. The agent said due to weather travel waiver.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by tismfu
I changed my flight and there was no fare difference to pay. The agent said due to weather travel waiver.
at the airport or over the phone ?
Old Feb 13, 2021, 7:03 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
The worst winter weather delay and airport experience I ever had was when DFW got an inch of snow several years back. When DFW is working well it is fantastic and I don't really worry about it handling a summer storm but winter is definitely a different animal.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 7:39 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Winter storms in Texas are often ice events and that is the most difficult thing to deal with. Several years back an ice storm coated planes and everything else, effectively shutting down the airport for days until temperatures rose enough for the ice to melt. You can't plow ice.

Fortunately this is shaping up to be more of an extreme cold and snow event. It will no doubt slow things down considerably but operations can continue to some extent.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 7:45 am

at the airport or over the phone ?
Via chat on the AA app.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 8:05 am

Programs: AA-EXP

DFW Forecast as of Saturday 10am EST.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 8:27 am

Via chat on the AA app.
Oh, I tried to do "change trip" on the app and it wanted $200 to change to the night before. Oh well. I cancelled ticket. Do you think a rep would handle a cancelled ticket and rebook me to tonight? Probably no.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 8:39 am

Oh, I tried to do "change trip" on the app and it wanted $200 to change to the night before. Oh well. I cancelled ticket. Do you think a rep would handle a cancelled ticket and rebook me to tonight? Probably no.
I didn’t change date of travel. But I also wasn’t able to change the flight myself on the app or website. I do not know what a rep would’ve done, but specifically when I mentioned “I’m willing to pay any fare difference” she responded “there’s a travel waiver notice so the change is without charge.” Who knows- maybe I just got lucky.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 9:28 am

I didn’t change date of travel. But I also wasn’t able to change the flight myself on the app or website. I do not know what a rep would’ve done, but specifically when I mentioned “I’m willing to pay any fare difference” she responded “there’s a travel waiver notice so the change is without charge.” Who knows- maybe I just got lucky.
oh, the 2nd poster in this thread seemed to have been able to: "I'm in Tucson scheduled to come back Sunday. I changed my flight to come back tomorrow. I don't trust the weather and DFW to get back Sunday."
Old Feb 13, 2021, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
No charge and I changed it twice and was upgraded immediately all done via twitter.

Even better my plane today is a 321.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.