New Service: PHX-ACV

Old Feb 11, 21, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

New Service: PHX-ACV

https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2021/fe...mmer-american/

New service to Eureka/Arcata starts on June 3. Per the article below:

American will provide the service with a dual-class 70-seat Canadair CRJ-700 regional jet with one daily flight as follows:

Depart PHX 10:25 a.m. - Arrive ACV 12:55 p.m.

Depart ACV 3:25 p.m. - Arrive PHX 5:50 p.m.
N830MH likes this.
Old Feb 11, 21, 4:24 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by raidersfan1 View Post
https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2021/fe...mmer-american/

New service to Eureka/Arcata starts on June 3. Per the article below:

American will provide the service with a dual-class 70-seat Canadair CRJ-700 regional jet with one daily flight as follows:

Depart PHX 10:25 a.m. - Arrive ACV 12:55 p.m.

Depart ACV 3:25 p.m. - Arrive PHX 5:50 p.m.
Didn't expect that. Will UA still be going in there from DEN and SFO?
Old Feb 11, 21, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by ldonnelly View Post
Didn't expect that. Will UA still be going in there from DEN and SFO?
UA goes to LAX not DEN.

With a 2 1/2 lay over, which seems to be quite a long time for a regional, I'm wondering if AA is going to announce LAX also from ACV?

Phoenix is a very popular destination for the folks on the lost coast...
Old Feb 11, 21, 5:36 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
With Phoenix down to two daily Banks, one in the morning and one in the evening, there are several West coast locations where the plane sits for a while before heading back to Phoenix.

Originally Posted by Icecat View Post
UA goes to LAX not DEN.

With a 2 1/2 lay over, which seems to be quite a long time for a regional, I'm wondering if AA is going to announce LAX also from ACV?

Old Feb 11, 21, 6:04 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by Icecat View Post
UA goes to LAX not DEN.

United will be operating ACV-DEN/LAX/SFO in June. DEN-ACV resumes on April 1.

Personally, I was expecting AA to add LAX-ACV before PHX, but I suppose PHX is more reasonable given AA has been decreasing its LAX routes (ended SAN, FAT, etc.)
Old Feb 12, 21, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This is a curious route for AA. I would have hoped to see OAK restored first. I wonder if ACV is for a specific customer?

Long time to spend in a CR-7.
metallo likes this.
Old Feb 12, 21, 8:18 am

Programs: AA - Platinum; 1W Sapphire; HHonors Gold; UA dirt
My guess is that AA is looking at lessons learned from COVID and seeing where it can extend its legs in the leisure market. The mountain west states were very, very popular this past summer. Being from California originally, I can tell you that the Redwood forest region of the state is very popular. I think AA wants to capitalize on leisure travel to that region and ACV is the airport that most ideally serves that region.

I'd be willing to bet that you see increased service to GEG and BOI. And if I wanted to throw in a wild card, I will bet that AA is probably discussing the feasibility of flying to COE and SUN. The Couer d'Alene and Sun Valley regions right now are the "it" regions for those who are well-heeled and want to escape the city.
Old Feb 13, 21, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer View Post
the Redwood forest region of the state is very popular
I could certainly see the appeal if looking to escape PHX in July/August.

But this has traditionally been an isolated area with not much tourist infrastructure. I guess I could see demand increasing with covid and the shutting down of most international travel.
metallo likes this.
Old Feb 13, 21, 11:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
This is a curious route for AA. I would have hoped to see OAK restored first. I wonder if ACV is for a specific customer?

PHX-ACV is 845 miles. Not particularly noteworthy in terms of distance/time. Lots of regional jet routes in the US flown at lengths similar to and longer than that.

AA for example runs CR7s on DEN-LAX, which is 862 miles.
Old Feb 13, 21, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by bse118 View Post
PHX-ACV is 845 miles. Not particularly noteworthy in terms of distance/time. Lots of regional jet routes in the US flown at lengths similar to and longer than that.
It's longer than I would want to spend in one, and suspect I'm not alone. For many connecting pax, UA via SFO is going to be a more attractive option for exactly that reason.
Old Feb 13, 21, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat

AA replaced 737 service between SLC and ORD with CR7 service. 1250 straight line air miles. Between one of the mountain west's fastest growing business centers with the midwest's biggest business center. On a follow up note, AA now flies daily SLC CLT, and sometime twice a day, on a 321.
Old Feb 13, 21, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA CK, AS MVPG75K, BA Silver, accidental DL FO, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, AmEx PLT
Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone View Post
AA replaced 737 service between SLC and ORD with CR7 service. 1250 straight line air miles. Between one of the mountain west's fastest growing business centers with the midwest's biggest business center. On a follow up note, AA now flies daily SLC CLT, and sometime twice a day, on a 321.
I recently noticed ORD-TUS is now on an E175 (clearly preferable to a CR7, but still a decently long flight). Id expect to see more regional jets on these long, thin routes, particularly due to the potential fuel savings and ongoing fallout from COVID-19.
Old Feb 13, 21, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA CK, AS MVPG75K, BA Silver, accidental DL FO, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, AmEx PLT
I could certainly see the appeal if looking to escape PHX in July/August.

But this has traditionally been an isolated area with not much tourist infrastructure. I guess I could see demand increasing with covid and the shutting down of most international travel.
The last time I drove through this area (a few summers ago), I thought the scenery was great and noted all the potential outdoor recreational activities, but I agree... seems like a region not used to dealing with tons of outside tourists. The hotel options alone (or really lack thereof) are a prime example.
Old Feb 13, 21, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
It's longer than I would want to spend in one, and suspect I'm not alone. For many connecting pax, UA via SFO is going to be a more attractive option for exactly that reason.
ACV is a leisure destination, I think you overestimate the amount of leisure travelers who think about aircraft type at all, let alone make decisions based on it. SFO is not a great connection point, geography wise, for most of the country. People are going to take the flight that offers the best schedule and/or price.

UA for example has DEN-ACV loaded as a regular CRJ. That's 1000+ miles.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: