Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA flight 1 (AA flight numeration protocols, oddities, etc. )

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA flight 1 (AA flight numeration protocols, oddities, etc. )

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2021, 6:37 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
They ain't all exciting.

Jet Blue 1 is JFK-FLL
SW 1 is DAL-HOU
Bradhattan likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 6:46 am

Programs: AA PLT
BA 001 LHR-JFK. Callsign “Speedbird 1”. Enough said.
Nephoi likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 9:01 am

Originally posted by Dallas49er:

Pan American Airways Flight 1 went ( if I can remember) SFO-HND-HKG-BKK-DEL(?)-AMM-FCO(?)-ORY-LHR-JFK-SFO.
In earlier days, PA1 route ended ...-ORY-LHR-IDL-SFO and the aircraft was a B707. Prior to the jet age and the introduction of the 707, the PA1 and PA2 may have existed by big pistons such as the Constellation, although the Super-Constellation required two refuelling stops between London and New York, typically at Shannon and Gander.

I'm not sure that the legs between New York and San |Francisco were flown by PA1 and PA2, as Pan Am had no domestic traffic rights. My memory from 60 years ago may be at fault, however.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 9:06 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by VFR
Ah, this is the kind of trivia that I love.

You can tell a bit about what's important to each airline based on what they assign Flight 1 to.

AA 1 - JFK-LAX
DL 1 - JFK-LHR (for a long time, DL was shut out of LHR based on an agreement that only allowed AA, UA, BA, and VS to fly US-LHR)
UA 1 - SFO-SIN

AA does assign AA 101 to LHR-JFK, so they recognize that as an important flight.

A lot of flight numbers are historical for some reason -- AA is restarting BOS-LHR and using AA 108 for the flight number, which is the same as the flight number the last time they flew that route.
UA 1 was ORD-HNL at one point. I flew it on my first trip to hawaii (2010 I think? Whenever that Icelandic volcano was chocking trans-atlantic travel. My flight to spain was canceled two days before I was suppose to go and so we booked last minute travel package to Hawaii for fairly dirt cheap -- $2,000 for two roundtrip fares+14 nights at the Prince Waikiki where they gave us a full on direct ocean view up high).

SFO-SIN is worthy route to carry the number though. Was supposed to go to Singapore last Fall but that of course didn't happen....
Old Feb 9, 2021, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
CI1 TPE-HNL
KE1 ICN-NRT-HNL

Any other #1 flights to/from HNL (that seems to be a popular destination for flagship #1 flights) that I missed?
Old Feb 9, 2021, 12:14 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
Airlines long have associated specific flight numbers with special routes. Yes, flight 1 was usually the airline's "most important" flight, but this certainly is not universal.

In the 1960s and early 1970s United assigned flight numbers in blocks between certain city pairs. Flight 1-19, for example, were between JFK and LAX, while 20-29 were JFK-SFO. The EWR flights were usually in the 30s, the SEA/PDX transcons were in the 40s, LAX/SFO-IAD in the 50s, and so on. Of course, there were always on-off exceptions. Other routes had their own sequenecs. This was always a lot of fun when a flight served two such city pairs, such as HNL-SFO-IAD (HNL-SFO would ahve been in the 180s, SFO-IAD in the 50s).

Other airlines did the same, but aside from the really prime routes (NYC-LAX) most weren't as structured as UA. You see this even in the movies: in "Airport" the "Golden Argosy", the airline's premier flight, was flight 2 (the return presumably being flight 2 -- it is mentioned in either the book or the movie, I don't remember which, that flight 5 is the return to New York). For a long time DL flight numbers were based on the aircraft type and had practically nothing to do with the actual route of flight. DL, in fact, didn't even slavishly adhere to the custom of even-numbered flights being eastbound and odd-numbered flights being westbound (a practice left over from the heyday of the railroads).

For a long time practically every airline had flight 711 serving LAS, 1492 serving CMH, and 1776 serving either BOS or PHL. It's still a popular practice for Asian flights to be in the 800 series since 8 is considered a lucky number in Asian culture.

I don't know if this is still enforced, but at least in the past two airlines weren't allowed to have the same flight number scheduled at the same airport at the same time. Whichever airline had been using it longer had priority, and some of them were guarded pretty jealously!

Flight numbering is actually a fascinating subset of airline history. There is always something new to be learned!
ronp101 and thunderdeacon like this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dliesse
Airlines long have associated specific flight numbers with special routes. Yes, flight 1 was usually the airline's "most important" flight, but this certainly is not universal.

In the 1960s and early 1970s United assigned flight numbers in blocks between certain city pairs. Flight 1-19, for example, were between JFK and LAX, while 20-29 were JFK-SFO. The EWR flights were usually in the 30s, the SEA/PDX transcons were in the 40s, LAX/SFO-IAD in the 50s, and so on. Of course, there were always on-off exceptions. Other routes had their own sequenecs. This was always a lot of fun when a flight served two such city pairs, such as HNL-SFO-IAD (HNL-SFO would ahve been in the 180s, SFO-IAD in the 50s).

Other airlines did the same, but aside from the really prime routes (NYC-LAX) most weren't as structured as UA. You see this even in the movies: in "Airport" the "Golden Argosy", the airline's premier flight, was flight 2 (the return presumably being flight 2 -- it is mentioned in either the book or the movie, I don't remember which, that flight 5 is the return to New York). For a long time DL flight numbers were based on the aircraft type and had practically nothing to do with the actual route of flight. DL, in fact, didn't even slavishly adhere to the custom of even-numbered flights being eastbound and odd-numbered flights being westbound (a practice left over from the heyday of the railroads).

For a long time practically every airline had flight 711 serving LAS, 1492 serving CMH, and 1776 serving either BOS or PHL. It's still a popular practice for Asian flights to be in the 800 series since 8 is considered a lucky number in Asian culture.

I don't know if this is still enforced, but at least in the past two airlines weren't allowed to have the same flight number scheduled at the same airport at the same time. Whichever airline had been using it longer had priority, and some of them were guarded pretty jealously!

Flight numbering is actually a fascinating subset of airline history. There is always something new to be learned!
in Europe those blocks are quite more common. i never understood why the westbound flights on JFK-LAX are (from early to late) 171/1/255/3/331/341/306/302/117/300.

For BER-LHR all the BA flights are in the block Ba980-Ba999 for the even numbers to BER and the odd numbers to LHR. The LHR-SOF flights are Ba890 to BA893 and so on. the system is: small numbers are international routes, triple digits are EU routes, four digits in the range of 1000-2000 are domestic and codeshare 8000-9000 is BA cityflyer, inbetween (mostly i know of the 6000s for finnair) are other codeshares....

in the BA forum here on flyertalk we even have a full spreadsheet where we keep track is every flight was flown by us and who flew it first... needless to say that this wasnt our best idea in 2020/2021

LH does the same, AF too (although there are the numbers in steps of 100. FRA-CDG are 1019/1219/1319/1519/1619)..
Old Feb 9, 2021, 12:58 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond, BAEC Gold, AS 75K, VS Gold, AC 50K, WoH Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
It is also pretty common that West/South-bound flights use odd numbers while East/North-bound flights use even numbers (i.e. JAL international, Cathay). I believe it still holds true on AA's intercontinental flights and "legacy" flight numbers (long-used flight numbers like 1/2/3/4/10/28 on LAX-JFK) on domestic/N American routes.

Some other airlines like BA and JAL (on domestic flights only) use odd numbers for flights out of the hub and even numbers for flights into the hub.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir
AA flight 1 was also involved in a fatal accident in 1962 when it was operated by a 707. Unlike other flight numbers retired after fatal accidents they kept this one.
Somewhat related, Eastern continued to designate its late evening JFK-Miami flight as 401 well into the 1980s despite the 1972 L-1011 crash in the Everglades and the numerous ghost stories that arose from the accident.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 1:29 pm

Programs: Aadvantage Platinum, Marriott Gold
Hawaiian Airlines plays along: HA1 always has operated LAX-HNL
Nephoi likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA EP
AA101actually came from TWA LHR acquisition in 1991.

Originally Posted by VFR
Ah, this is the kind of trivia that I love.

You can tell a bit about what's important to each airline based on what they assign Flight 1 to.

AA 1 - JFK-LAX
DL 1 - JFK-LHR (for a long time, DL was shut out of LHR based on an agreement that only allowed AA, UA, BA, and VS to fly US-LHR)
UA 1 - SFO-SIN

AA does assign AA 101 to LHR-JFK, so they recognize that as an important flight.

A lot of flight numbers are historical for some reason -- AA is restarting BOS-LHR and using AA 108 for the flight number, which is the same as the flight number the last time they flew that route.
VFR likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Pan American Airways Flight 1 went ( if I can remember) SFO-HND-HKG-BKK-DEL(?)-AMM-FCO(?)-ORY-LHR-JFK-SFO.

That was truly a wonderful departure announcement in SFO, going through the WHOLE airport.
"Attention please. Pan American Airways announces the departure of Pan Am (Maybe Clipper) Flight 1, now departing for for Tokyo, Hong Kong, Bangkok, BOM, Amman(?), Rome, Paris, London and New York.".
It seemed like the whole terminal would come to a halt.

These places sounded so adventuresome, exotic, romantic, out of reach, insert adjective here, ... . This may be the reason, as a teenager, I wondered if I would ever see ANY of these places. (Spoiler alert: I did, and more!).

Last edited by Dallas49er; Feb 9, 2021 at 6:38 pm
Old Feb 9, 2021, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold,DL SM.UA,HA
TWA1 was LGA-STL-HNL. We flew it on our honeymoon in 1991.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 4:17 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by JFKATC
TWA1 was LGA-STL-HNL. We flew it on our honeymoon in 1991.
Now I thought that TW 1 was JFK-LAX as I have positioned on this and TW5 several times in the Eighties. All TW codes to and fro LHR started with 7 - and if I memory serves LHR - LAX was always TW761 - this then became AA 137. AA135 used to be IAD-LAX. Memory plays tricks but AA used to have one DC10 daily flying LAX - HNL - the outbound was AA31 and the inbound was AA162 for reasons that I never understood.

(Sad fact: I can recall this sort of nonsense with perfect clarity - ask me why I went from the Lounge to the Kitchen this morning might prove more challenging!)
Old Feb 10, 2021, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by econ
Ah, so this is why they removed it from one of the LAX-LHR flights. I used to associate AA108 with that route.
Doesn’t lax get 134/135?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.