Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Are they still supposed to be disinfecting planes?

Old Feb 5, 21, 9:02 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, IC Amb

I had thought AA had advertised that they disinfect each plane before turnaround.

I just boarded a CR7 flight PHX-RDM and the cleaning crew didnít even show up to clean the aircraft.....

is it a different crew that does the disinfecting?
Old Feb 5, 21, 11:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium/LTP (+UA Silver), National Exec Elite, mlife Noir
Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post

lol

I didn't think anyone actually believed they did anything to these planes

I sure don't
Tanic, SkyTeam777, Dave_C and 11 others like this.
Old Feb 5, 21, 11:57 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
I had thought AA had advertised that they disinfect each plane before turnaround.

I just boarded a CR7 flight PHX-RDM and the cleaning crew didnít even show up to clean the aircraft.....

If you are concerned about Covid being spread by dirty seats or windows, you can relax.

I think that we all recognize that fomites do not spread Covid. So, deep cleaning may sound good,....but.......

.. lots of other illness is spread by fomites, so feel free to use the wipe that AA dispenses upon entering the plane to wipe down your seat and tray table. You should also just keep washing your hands and avoid putting them in your eyes or mouth.

You'll have a healthier trip if you do the above
Tanic, dstan, joeyE and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 5, 21, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT GOLD, RC PLAT PREM
Health theatre was all it was at the start of the pandemic just like temperature screening. Companies are now going to start cutting all the ďdisinfectionĒ games so they can save money.

Wash your hand before getting on the plane, donít touch your nose or mouth, and wash your hands after you get off. Longer flights .. depending on your fear level .. wipe down all the spots you will touch and wash hands after eating or drinking.
Tanic, SkyTeam777, tismfu and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 5, 21, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Mainline they are at least doing a perfunctory cleaning between flights, even short flights that used to get no cleaning other than what the FA might do.
Old Feb 5, 21, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
I think that we all recognize that fomites do not spread Covid. So, deep cleaning may sound good,....but.......
This right here has accounted for billions...maybe trillions...of unnecessary spending across the globe. We're so desperate to do something that we invested in completely the wrong areas. All this UV germ-killing nonsense....If we'd just done masks and nothing else (no signs on floors at the supermarket etc...) this thing could have managed so much better while we waited for a vaccine....omg society and leadership is so dumb
Old Feb 5, 21, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
But the boarding alerts from the app say that my plane has been thoroughly disinfected and is ready for boarding! Are you implying that AA would mislead its customers? I'm shocked.

I haven't seen a cleaning crew on a flight during Covid except for the usual group with garbage bags that work between flights at the hubs.
Old Feb 5, 21, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
I do MIA LAX almost every week and the planes often appear dirty so I personally don't buy that AA is really cleaning planes between flights
Old Feb 5, 21, 1:16 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
But, but, but.......Alison Taylor made all of these big promises and reassurances in her stage debut:

Old Feb 5, 21, 4:20 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
They say they do, but you’d be crazy to bet your life on someone else’s word about it. I’d wipe down my own seat area again.
Old Feb 5, 21, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
From a flight last week :
Old Feb 5, 21, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by jcatman View Post
But, but, but.......Alison Taylor made all of these big promises and reassurances in her stage debut:

Clean Commitment | A message from Alison Taylor - YouTube
Taylor cannot be trusted... she also posted pictures of the turkey sandwich online which don't resemble at all what AA is actually serving
Old Feb 5, 21, 5:08 pm

Programs: American Executive Platinum, One World Emerald, IC Royal Ambassador
Just a thought---is it possible the cleaning crews board up the stairs by the jetway from the tarmac and one wouldn't see them in the gate area? I know I've seen the cleaning crews do that before somewhere. Having said that I flew not too long ago and there was clearly coffee spots spilled on the little area between seats (in F) I agree it's prudent to wipe down everything yourself, in addition to handwashing, avoiding touching your face, masking ,etc. Safe travels to everyone.
Old Feb 5, 21, 5:09 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by tismfu View Post
From a flight last week :
Assuming that's not a body fluid, we may have solid evidence that a passenger was actually served a beverage.
Old Feb 5, 21, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold

I just boarded a CR7 flight PHX-RDM and the cleaning crew didn’t even show up to clean the aircraft.....

Like other posters have said, I never believed they would really clean as promised.
I can assure you that if you spend 2 minutes wiping out your own seat, it will be a much deeper cleaning than any cleaning crew could do (isn't it like 2 person crew with 20 minutes to clean ~150 seats or more? that's like 16 seconds per seat??)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: