Search

Strategy on getting my money back

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2021, 8:41 am
mhy
Original Poster

Programs: JGC
Strategy on getting my money back

I've got about $4000 tied up with AA (BA metal) on a London trip that I've been postponing now for more than a year. Each time I opted to postpone hoping travel restrictions would ease up by the time it was time to fly but so far it hasn't happened. I'm tired of postponing and I'd like my money back, if possible.

What is the best strategy here? Do I wait and hope that BA cancels the flights, and ask for a refund once that happens? Or is there any other way? It would really suck to have AA hold on to that much of my money for another year, or even longer...
Old Feb 1, 2021, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by mhy
I've got about $4000 tied up with AA (BA metal) on a London trip that I've been postponing now for more than a year. Each time I opted to postpone hoping travel restrictions would ease up by the time it was time to fly but so far it hasn't happened. I'm tired of postponing and I'd like my money back, if possible.

What is the best strategy here? Do I wait and hope that BA cancels the flights, and ask for a refund once that happens? Or is there any other way? It would really suck to have AA hold on to that much of my money for another year, or even longer...
Essentially yes, wait for a major schedule change or cancellation then call AA and ask for a refund.
SFO777, Often1 and AA100k like this.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 10:02 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
i was in the same boat for one booking i kept postponing and finally decided for a june itinerary i would want the 2900 back and i made the plan to just wait for one of the flights on the itinerary to be cancelled. you have quite a while longer to wait, but BA are regularly going through and hacking away at the schedule so summer flights i'd imagine will start disappearing in april so it will just require a bit more patience before you can get your money back.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 11:19 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
as others have said.. wait for a schedule change/cancelled flight.. it worked for me last year on 4 bookings with AA/BA ... money was back on CC within 10 days even though they
both say 1 billing cycle .. good luck
Old Feb 1, 2021, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
BA are currently cancelling April fligths. It looks like they are doing it on a route by route rather than on a day basis,

OP needs to hope BA cancels their flight so they can get a refund!

AA and BA are operating one a day each until the 27th March and what looks to me like a full schedule from the 28th March (the start of the summer season).

The UK announced its slot rule waiver for Summer 2021 last week. Which is all very well but there needs to be a waiver at the other end so they may be waiting for what the US decides (not sure if it has or not) before cancelling US routes. No good the UK waiving slot use if the US dosen't reciprocate!
Old Feb 1, 2021, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is almost never a reason for a passenger to cancel a ticket until just before scheduled flight time. If the flight is cancelled (or significantly changed), one is entitled to a full refund. If it is not, then cancelling for a credit or postponing to a date certain as the case may be, makes one none the worse for the wear.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Essentially yes, wait for a major schedule change or cancellation then call AA and ask for a refund.
Does that work even if you used a flight credit from a flight you canceled? That is, isn't the refund to the method of payment (a flight credit)?
bosman likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 5:51 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
Does that work even if you used a flight credit from a flight you canceled? That is, isn't the refund to the method of payment (a flight credit)?
This was always my understanding, too.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Otherwise, I would keep using to book a later flight, until it finally canceled or changed > 4 hours
Old Feb 3, 2021, 11:19 am
mhy
Original Poster

Thanks all, I'll wait until (hopefully) they're canceled. Looks like I'll be waiting until April-ish at least (my booking is for June)
Old Feb 8, 2021, 1:36 pm
mhy
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Aw shucks. I just realized that my booking is with a flight credit because I had to cancel the first one (stupid of me, I know).

So they get to hold on to my $4,000 until I'm able to travel? That could be like a year away!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.