Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA award / reroute due to partner itinerary changes?

Old Jan 28, 21, 11:41 am
Original Poster

So I have flown with AA on the usual route xxx-DFW-LHR-VIE. I am a resident in Vienna but as you may know there is a landing ban from the UK, at least until Feb but likely to be extended, I think.
I am desperate to use my AA miles that have been collecting dust.
my flight will originate from MEX and currently, for March 3 I see a good reward itinerary: MEX-DFW-LHR-VIE ...this is all to be redeemed in J class:

There are other Oneworld limited options such as Iberia MEX-MAD-VIE but no J availability at all until mid-march (even though J class is pretty much empty) which is after my planned date to return. There is also BA but either with a 22-hour layover in London or a mess to go from LHR to MAD and stay overnight there..plus BAs high surcharges so no.

It is worth noting that if searching a regular $ flight, it gives you the option to do MEX-DFW-FRA-VIE (below)....the fra-vie leg being on OS. I know weird but it's available for $. However, because of the OS flight, it is not available with miles if not I would have taken that for sure.

I am totally fine with AA's MEX-VIE option, but my question is, let's say the landing ban continues and the LHR-VIE part of my flight can't happen...would it be possible or even likely for them to reroute me:

on the MEX-DFW-FRA-VIE flight even though I booked with miles and not $?
or
the Iberia MEX-MAD-VIE in J, since J class is empty on those flights but just not available with miles

Or would they automatically only give me the crazy 22 hour or overnight itineraries?

basically, I'm asking that if I redeem a J award flight and they have to reroute me because of the landing ban from the UK, would they consider rerouting me on something that was originally not available with miles (much better options as mentioned above), or does it strictly have to be whatever was available to redeem (crap alternatives)? Not sure if once ticketed they treat a reroute as any ticketed flight no matter how you got it, or if they give you possibilities only depending on if you bought with $ or miles.
Old Jan 28, 21, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by NickRivas View Post
I am totally fine with AA's MEX-VIE option, but my question is, let's say the landing ban continues and the LHR-VIE part of my flight can't happen...would it be possible or even likely for them to reroute me:

on the MEX-DFW-FRA-VIE flight even though I booked with miles and not $?
or
the Iberia MEX-MAD-VIE in J, since J class is empty on those flights but just not available with miles

Or would they automatically only give me the crazy 22 hour or overnight itineraries?

basically, I'm asking that if I redeem a J award flight and they have to reroute me because of the landing ban from the UK, would they consider rerouting me on something that was originally not available with miles (much better options as mentioned above), or does it strictly have to be whatever was available to redeem (crap alternatives)? Not sure if once ticketed they treat a reroute as any ticketed flight no matter how you got it, or if they give you possibilities only depending on if you bought with $ or miles.
On an award ticket, if the LHR-VIE flight gets cancelled in advance, AA will not re-route you via FRA on the FRA-VIE flight as that is on on OS and not a partner.

There is a slim (very slim) chance you could get re-routed on MEX-MAD-VIE on IB. If award availability opens up at the time then it's an easy change. But if award availability doesn't open up, AA can't force IB to open up award space. You could try to have AA work with their liaison to open up space but this will take some time/effort and chances of success are rather slim, although worth a shot if you have time.

As you know the oneworld schedule in VIE is limited, even more so with covid. If the LHR-VIE does get cancelled, you could definitely get AA to re-route you just to FRA on MEX-DFW-FRA, and then buy FRA-VIA separately on your own.

Other than that the options are rather limited, either A) just cancel for a full refund of miles/$$, or B) get rerouted on the crazy MEX-DFW-LHR-MAD-VIE routing or the like, subject to availability.
Old Jan 28, 21, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply!
Old Jan 28, 21, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A single FRA-VIE runs roughly $130 on random days. Perhaps less at some times. Is it worth having AA route you to FRA and then purchasing a separate ticket onwards, leaving enough time to deal with the risks of separate tickets?
Old Jan 28, 21, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
A single FRA-VIE runs roughly $130 on random days. Perhaps less at some times. Is it worth having AA route you to FRA and then purchasing a separate ticket onwards, leaving enough time to deal with the risks of separate tickets?
I looked that up, if that were the only thing I'd be fine...but sadly AA messes with the miles thing. All the other itineraries mentioned with miles are 62.5k....but the MEX-DFW-FRA is 81.5k-85.5k depending on the day. I guess because both flights are with AA, they can mess and charge more for the miles instead of the set award chart amount. So being charged around 20k more miles for a J ticket to FRA then having to check my luggage and back in for the separate OS flight doesn't seem worth it...however, this option might be the "best fo the worst" if all goes wrong and they try to reroute me with crazy overnight layovers in LHR or MAD. In that case I'll just take this since it'll be more worth the 20k extra miles and separate flight versus a crazy 30-40 hour itinerary.
Old Jan 28, 21, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
I looked that up, if that were the only thing I'd be fine...but sadly AA messes with the miles thing. All the other itineraries mentioned with miles are 62.5k....but the MEX-DFW-FRA is 81.5k-85.5k depending on the day. I guess because both flights are with AA, they can mess and charge more for the miles instead of the set award chart amount. So being charged around 20k more miles for a J ticket to FRA then having to check my luggage and back in for the separate OS flight doesn't seem worth it...however, this option might be the "best fo the worst" if all goes wrong and they try to reroute me with crazy overnight layovers in LHR or MAD. In that case I'll just take this since it'll be more worth the 20k extra miles and separate flight versus a crazy 30-40 hour itinerary.
Oh no, if the LHR-VIE gets cancelled, AA will be happy to re-route you on MEX-DFW-FRA for no extra miles due to the cancellation.
Old Jan 28, 21, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
Oh no, if the LHR-VIE gets cancelled, AA will be happy to re-route you on MEX-DFW-FRA for no extra miles due to the cancellation.
Oh if I have to be rerouted yes I'll gladly take the FRA and separate on to VIE with no extra miles then
Old Jan 28, 21, 1:55 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
I'm not sure what flights are currently operating, but AA normally offers flights to MUC from DFW and CLT. At the Munich airport you can take the S-Bahn to the Ostbahnhof (Munich East train station) and change there to a train to Vienna. You can buy one ticket at the airport train station to cover the entire trip. Prices vary, and some options may require a change of trains at Salzburg.
Old Jan 28, 21, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
It should be noted, with partner flights AA only offers the AA flights that would be available at the lower "Saver" miles rate
With AA only flights there are 2 different award categories, that discounted Saver rate and the regular mileage rate. So, while it costs more, there is more availability,
In any case, as noted by someone else, if your partner award is canceled, AA will try to get you where or near where you want to go, even if it has to ignore the its own award availability and book you even if there are no award seats. As noted, it can only control its own availability.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: