Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MIA-LAX 772, 773 / 77W Covid-19 Flight Service Differences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MIA-LAX 772, 773 / 77W Covid-19 Flight Service Differences

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2021, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National EE, Lots of Stupid CCs&The I Am Crazy Enough To Actually Pay For F
Lightbulb MIA-LAX 772, 773 / 77W Covid-19 Flight Service Differences

Hello everyone, hope all is well.

I tried searching and looking at the meal thread but having a hard time figuring this out. Flying MIA-LAX, soonest is April.

Of course, they are doing the 777 service several times per day, but now on the W they are raping for the real F seat with flagship first title.

My question: the flight times I like best are on the 200 (domestic first), is the meal the same as business class on the W? If not what is different?

Slightly off topic do they offer paid cash upgrades day of departure to F from J on the W? If so approx how much?

I will only have an hour before hand so I dont mind missing the lounge (if it is even back open then), other than that I don't see anything different.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: At minimum I am planning to pay for domestic F or flagship W. Sorry if unclear above.

Last edited by bmw745ion19s; Jan 20, 2021 at 9:47 pm
Old Jan 20, 2021, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
On MIA --> LAX, the 77W upgrade chances are much better than the 772. Past three days, the 772 has gone out full in F with between 8 and 12 on the upgrade list not clearing. The 77W has gone out with maybe 60% of the premium cabin full.

The meal offered in the 772 was the same menu card as the 77W that I took last month.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I wouldn't bother with F over J. The 77W has a phenomenal J seat with more privacy than F.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 8:37 pm

Ive not taken the 77W F seat, but the 77W J seat was A-OK in my book. For MIA-LAX, its a 5.5 hour flight and a comfy one if you can get in the J cabin ($$$, SWU, miles, or stickers). Mine happend to be stickers and that flight pushed me over to earning 4 more stickers. So, a net cost of one sticker. WINRAR!
Antarius and madmanshoney like this.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Ive not taken the 77W F seat, but the 77W J seat was A-OK in my book. For MIA-LAX, its a 5.5 hour flight and a comfy one if you can get in the J cabin ($$$, SWU, miles, or stickers). Mine happend to be stickers and that flight pushed me over to earning 4 more stickers. So, a net cost of one sticker. WINRAR!
The 77W F seat is the updated version of the old 772 F seat (back when J was angle flat NGBC). It is a decent product but not very private and, IMO, not worth the upgrade from J.

Now, CX F? That's a worthwhile step up from J (same seat as AA's 77W J). Sadly, they do not fly MIA-LAX
MasterPlanner likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
IMO, the F seat is much better than the comparatively cramped J seat.
Without FFD, paid 77W F is not worth it. But using miles, much. more reasonable.
I've seen AAdvantage F seats only 10K more one way. The better seat and extra space are definitely worth the miles or SWU/BE upgrade cert.
jcatman likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National EE, Lots of Stupid CCs&The I Am Crazy Enough To Actually Pay For F
Thank you all for the quick responses. Sorry if I was not clear I am at minimum paying for domestic F, or Flagship J. Looks like it confirmed my educated guesses above that out of MIA they are the same menu. I have flown both the F and J seats before (although a while ago now lol) and the F is nice but not at would probably be the big jump in either cash or miles over the J seat.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by bmw745ion19s
Thank you all for the quick responses. Sorry if I was not clear I am at minimum paying for domestic F, or Flagship J. Looks like it confirmed my educated guesses above that out of MIA they are the same menu. I have flown both the F and J seats before (although a while ago now lol) and the F is nice but not at would probably be the big jump in either cash or miles over the J seat.
Keep in mind you can burn BXP1s (or SWUs) to get from J to F on the 77W. The required "A" availability is much harder to come by now that they've segregated revenue A from upgrade A, but I plan to waitlist BXP1s on an upcoming MIA-LAX RT and see what happens.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by SFO777
IMO, the F seat is much better than the comparatively cramped J seat.
Without FFD, paid 77W F is not worth it.
I agree that the seat is much better. I could not disagree more, though, that whether you are served a fancy TV dinner should be the make-or-break point for upgrading.
madmanshoney likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 7:30 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Blumie
. I could not disagree more, though, that whether you are served a fancy TV dinner should be the make-or-break point for upgrading.
That really made me giggle. You are right - it all seems to be picnic food or Something Stouffer. I am interested about the upgrade A and paid A being separated - that I did not know.
Blumie likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 9:31 am

I'm really moving towards eating well and heartily before the flight (see. i.e., Flagship Lounge; see also Centurion Lounge) and skipping the meals on domestic flights. We are after all talking about a Stouffers meal that has been plated with some garnishes, a mozzarella cheese ball, some balsamic vinegar, and a tube of dressing that you find in your local hospital's cafeteria...
Old Jan 22, 2021, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I agree that the seat is much better. I could not disagree more, though, that whether you are served a fancy TV dinner should be the make-or-break point for upgrading.
Not sure what you "could not disagree more" about as I never referenced inflight meals.
As for whether an upgrade is worth it, in many cases the cost is nominal and essentially free for those of us with lots of miles, SWUs or BXP1s.
jcatman likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 10:08 am

FFD = Flagship First Dining, not the inflight meal.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How far does current schedule (with specific aircraft types) extend? Is is through march?
Looking at possible mar-apr trip but wanna make sure it's on widebody...
Old Jan 22, 2021, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flagship Dining is a step up from a TV dinner. It isn't Michelin star stuff, but it is definitely far more edible than in flight food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.