Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New Domestic First Class "Meal" Test out of CLT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2021, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite

View from the Wing is reporting that AA is testing a "Protein" Box as a new domestic J meal out of CLT. Looks like a downgrade from the current Zoe's Kitchen sandwhiches.

See full description and photos here: https://viewfromthewing.com/american...m=BoardingArea
Old Jan 20, 2021, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Not a nutritionist, but this looks horrifying... and also, protein? I see a tiny bit of cheese and maybe a salami but maybe someone else can reply if all these fruits and veggies are supposed to be rich in protein??
Old Jan 20, 2021, 5:06 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National EE, Lots of Stupid CCs&The I Am Crazy Enough To Actually Pay For F
doesnt look bad for a snack service but this is surely not a meal...sorry
Old Jan 20, 2021, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Not a nutritionist, but this looks horrifying... and also, protein? I see a tiny bit of cheese and maybe a salami but maybe someone else can reply if all these fruits and veggies are supposed to be rich in protein??
I posted in the other thread, there's probably 15+ grams of protein among the salami (5g/ounce), cheese (7g/ounce), and hummus (2g/ounce). Better than a bunch of dry snacks and probably not much less than a turkey sandwich.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by bmw745ion19s
doesnt look bad for a snack service but this is surely not a meal...sorry
it’s better than the typical fat/salt bombs on mid cons, would be more than great snack
on a premium transcon. (I’d prefer turkey over salami). But I don’t know what to compare it to, haven’t flown since March. Seems ok for now.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 7:07 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National EE, Lots of Stupid CCs&The I Am Crazy Enough To Actually Pay For F
Originally Posted by beachfan
it’s better than the typical fat/salt bombs on mid cons, would be more than great snack
on a premium transcon. (I’d prefer turkey over salami). But I don’t know what to compare it to, haven’t flown since March. Seems ok for now.

I am thankfully in great shape so I can eat whatever I want and would rather have the pasta entree with salad etc over this any day, I just need a lot of fuel but if this was on a refreshment flight I would love it. Hopefully this is one choice out of several, like the zoes platter option, so everyone has their way.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Looks better than most of the dreck they were serving on a standard domestic pre-pandemic....

...that's not to say it looks good, per se.
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 5:22 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Had this Monday on CLT-PHX. Given the times, it was quite innovative and tasty. 5-6 different small dishes. Took me a while to kill it all & I’m a fast eater. Fresh, tasty, attractively packaged, not messy and comprised of at least 21 different ingredients. Nothing to complain about.
cesco.g, JB OmahAA, TPJ and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
You have to give it to AA for trying to keep catering standards up. As far as "healthy." If thats' what you're after you will never find that kind of food on an airplane.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bse118
Looks better than most of the dreck they were serving on a standard domestic pre-pandemic....

...that's not to say it looks good, per se.
No kidding. That southwestern lasagne or whatever they had for a while was positively ghastly.

Then again, I won't complain too much. At least now one of the options is vegetarian, which means I can eat if I want to. 5+ years ago, it was hit or miss with a lot of chicken-or-beef flights.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 8:42 am

Programs: AAdvantage since 1984; AA PLT - 2MM; WN CP; SPG Gold
Giving the benefit of doubt, the little portion of greens looks like spinach to me, green protein good enough for Popeye!
Old Jan 21, 2021, 9:11 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by JB OmahAA
Giving the benefit of doubt, the little portion of greens looks like spinach to me, green protein good enough for Popeye!
It was spring mix with sundried tomato, feta & pumpkin seeds
Old Jan 21, 2021, 1:11 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Doesn't look horrid. I had like 4 cheese plates on a recent F round trip and it was good too, but repetitive. I would try this over the turkey sandwiches.
Hopefully once things recover, we go back to proper meals in F. As it is, Delta may be worse than this box from reports on that board!
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Looks actually pretty good. Mirrors the Mint product—small portions, but a reasonable number of them. Can see that being replicated on a meal tray, with one of the items offered being hot, or a sandwich, etc. Wish a US carrier would replicate the QF domestic J product, which includes a high quality soup course, poured from a thermal jug from the cart.
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Member, (4MM+) Starwood Preferred, Marriott Rewards, Hertz Gold Plus
This “meal” is an absolute embarrassment to first class passengers.

First Class Passengers don’t want these table scraps in box!

Have been part of several AA onboard meal offering focus groups and First class passengers want a hot meal on their flight!

AA enough of the fake COVID-19 cost cutting excuses, listen to what your customers really want.

Instead of offering the “take it or leave it” types of amenities that Doug Parker and his America West/US Airways low end management team keep coming up with.

AA, you should be embarrassed about offering your top tier members this stuff.
Spiff and JB OmahAA like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.