Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2021: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Old Jan 18, 2021, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the archived 2021 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

FOR THE 2022 THREAD, SEE HERE: link

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.
Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Important links:

Link to American Airlines Conditions of Carriage

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions

NOTE: See below for links to the archived older threads.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:
Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2020 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.

2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2021: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Old Nov 6, 2021, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I know we can now change most flights without a change fee. I see an offer to upgrade to business class (a week after booking). It says non-refundable. If I need to change my flight again, does that business upgrade carry over to another flight? Or is it lost?
Old Nov 7, 2021, 10:08 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I can only find conflicting information when I check:

I am flying from Boston to Phoenix (and onwards to Las Vegas with a 32 minute connection) tomorrow. Having just convinced myself that the connection will be fine, I am more concerned about the Boston to Phoenix flight. I am in Main Cabin Extra (not First). What food can I expect onboard, if any?

I only have LoungeKey access, so that supposedly gets me $28 off a meal at Stephanie's in Boston, but according to the website this is also closed. What are my options for not going hungry?
Old Nov 7, 2021, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Mulder00

I am flying from Boston to Phoenix (and onwards to Las Vegas with a 32 minute connection) tomorrow. Having just convinced myself that the connection will be fine, I am more concerned about the Boston to Phoenix flight. I am in Main Cabin Extra (not First). What food can I expect onboard, if any?

I only have LoungeKey access, so that supposedly gets me $28 off a meal at Stephanie's in Boston, but according to the website this is also closed. What are my options for not going hungry?
I am not that familiar with BOS thus I would ask another poster to answer the second part but for the first part on a TCON from BOS to PHX in MCE, you could only enjoy Biscoff's, pretzels and soft drinks. No other food item would be available onboard.
Mulder00 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Mulder00

I just flew this last week, and we landed literally an hour early. Then got stock waiting for ground crew for a 45mins. There's no food on board, except for some small snacks. Why don't you just buy a premade sandwich at the grocery store the day before? If you're feeling very lazy.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
If I become British Airways silver (primarily by way of flying AA and crediting to BA but I do have a RT flight -4 segments total- booked in June) would I be granted access to the AA lounges on a purely USA domestic flight? The OneWorld benefits page suggests NO if using my Aadvantage number, but doesn't clarify otherwise.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
If I become British Airways silver (primarily by way of flying AA and crediting to BA but I do have a RT flight -4 segments total- booked in June) would I be granted access to the AA lounges on a purely USA domestic flight? The OneWorld benefits page suggests NO if using my Aadvantage number, but doesn't clarify otherwise.
The answer is, "Yes."

From the Admirals Club "access" section on aa.com:

"Non-AAdvantage oneworld EmeraldSM and SapphireSMIncludes customers on all departing flights marketed and operated by American or a oneworld airline (regardless of cabin)."

(The only exception is AS elites, who get access only under limited circumstances.)
Old Nov 8, 2021, 6:26 am

If there's no C availability and I call to add a SWU to one of my flights. Will I clear the upgrade before the C inventory is released?

I'm wondering if its worth the effort to put an EF notification up, or if I should just call and add the SWU. Plus I'd like to wait to claim my elite choice awards for as long as possible.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 10:31 am
Original Poster

What is proper etiquette for deplaning a doublewide like 777 with 2 aisles? Don't you just do the zipper method and alternate or is that rude and split a family apart?
Old Nov 8, 2021, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Stocktc1
What is proper etiquette for deplaning a doublewide like 777 with 2 aisles? Don't you just do the zipper method and alternate or is that rude and split a family apart?
Zipper unless i notice that people are together then I either let them stay together or step aside on the jet bridge to let them join up if need be.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Stocktc1
I'd like to know why the FA didn't move the peasants aside in J when I was deplaning from F on the 77W
Old Nov 8, 2021, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage
Hi all, not new to flying but I am new to it after a lengthy break during COVID. I have a tight connection this upcoming weekend and want to get off as fast as possible, arriving in Miami on a 772 up front. I know wide bodies usually board/de-plane using door 2L however my last time through MIA on a 777 we boarded using door 1L like it was a narrowbody plane.

Was that a fluke or should I expect door 1L to be used? Looking on the flight tracking websites it seems that this flight seems to arrive into the E concourse at MIA if that makes a difference.

Thank you for your help.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 5:09 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by N984TW
Hi all, not new to flying but I am new to it after a lengthy break during COVID. I have a tight connection this upcoming weekend and want to get off as fast as possible, arriving in Miami on a 772 up front. I know wide bodies usually board/de-plane using door 2L however my last time through MIA on a 777 we boarded using door 1L like it was a narrowbody plane.

Was that a fluke or should I expect door 1L to be used? Looking on the flight tracking websites it seems that this flight seems to arrive into the E concourse at MIA if that makes a difference.

Thank you for your help.
There are two gates at MIA that board/deplane through 1L that I've experienced, D2 and D6. You can even see it on Google Maps satellite view. I've never flown through the E concourse, but it looks like at least E30 is in the same boat, the rest of the gates don't have a widebody in so I can't tell.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 11:12 am
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
Helping a friend...

They booked an AS codeshare flight operated by AA. It was booked through Expedia.
They have a confirmation email from Expedia/AS showing an 027 stock ticket number. They were also given the AA record locator for the flight, and was able to add it to their AAdvantage account so it is visible there.

However, in their AA account, it is showing as "Unknown" and not "Ticketed".
They are trying to change their seats in the AA app and cannot for this reason. They also want to use the AA app for check-in etc, as they are more familiar with the AA app.

1) How can they get the status to "Ticketed"?
2)can they fully use the AA app for an AA-operated codeshare flight? or will they need to use the AS app?

Thanks!
Old Nov 9, 2021, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by S80
There are two gates at MIA that board/deplane through 1L that I've experienced, D2 and D6. You can even see it on Google Maps satellite view. I've never flown through the E concourse, but it looks like at least E30 is in the same boat, the rest of the gates don't have a widebody in so I can't tell.
Thanks for the info.
S80 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 8:39 am

Programs: aadvantage, mileage plus, millemiglia
Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but I couldn't find it. I was just offered by the AA app to pay for an upgrade (ORD-SFO), about 3 weeks before the flight. If I take it, would I also receive the 2x EQMs? Normally this wouldn't matter much to me, but, in this case, it would guarantee that I hit 80k for the year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.