Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2021: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2021, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the archived 2021 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

FOR THE 2022 THREAD, SEE HERE: link

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.
Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Important links:

Link to American Airlines Conditions of Carriage

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions

NOTE: See below for links to the archived older threads.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:
Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2020 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.

2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2021: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2021, 3:32 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pinniped
I have an award trip booked for March 2022. Mix of AA and BA metal, redeemed with AA miles.

A few days ago, I logged into my AA account and saw that my trip had been completely rerouted to different flights on all segments. This is normal - I expect it when booking trips 10 months in advance - and I'm happy to accept the changes as-is. However, now I cannot do anything with the itinerary at all. I have not received the normal email you get on a flight change, I cannot change seats online, and I get an error message when I attempt to change the trip online.

The itinerary page says "Your flight changed. Please check back soon to see what changed." Except it has now said that for days, so this isn't part of a normal ticket reissue process where you might see something like that for a few minutes as the ticket processes. And I can already see all of the changed flights - I just can't do anything with them.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I'm not desperate enough to call....yet....but will be in an airport in about a week where I could probably talk to a counter agent if I need to do something to fix a problem.
Originally Posted by Global321
Yes, it happens. Unfortunately, calling is the best way to get it sorted out.
I've now even had this occur when nothing (according to the AC agent) changed. But yep, the best way is to call, but even better if you're in an airport, they can help you even if the itinerary isn't departing that day.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by FT-hss
On a mileage ticket on QR, if a better routing opens up 24hrs before the first flight, is there a risk changing to that one. In other words how late can you change your itinerary if you the agent can get you a confirmed booking change. Have biz PHX-IAH-DOH, looking for PHX-SFO-DOH which might open. Any ideas? Don't want to risk current booking and nice seat selections
If you get a booking change confirmed, how would that risk the current booking since that would be cancelled? I'm missing something here.
FT-hss and Global321 like this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
One other question about my itin: what does this group think about a 50-minute connection at LHR from an AA arrival to a BA intra-Europe departure (LHR-ATH)?

It feels really tight but I'm no longer familiar with what terminals are used for these flights, or whether either flight will use a remote stand. The next departure is almost 5 hours later.

Frankly I'm surprised there's an AA-to-BA MCT at LHR that is as short as 50 minutes. I wouldn't voluntarily book less than 90 minutes, but this is the hand I've been dealt....at least until the schedule changes again.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 11:37 am

Programs: AA EP
where are u coming in from? And what terminal is ATH scheduled to go out of?

One other question about my itin: what does this group think about a 50-minute connection at LHR from an AA arrival to a BA intra-Europe departure (LHR-ATH)?

It feels really tight but I'm no longer familiar with what terminals are used for these flights, or whether either flight will use a remote stand. The next departure is almost 5 hours later.

Frankly I'm surprised there's an AA-to-BA MCT at LHR that is as short as 50 minutes. I wouldn't voluntarily book less than 90 minutes, but this is the hand I've been dealt....at least until the schedule changes again.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
If the AA arrival is from anywhere but JFK, which still arrives at T5, then that is definitely below the MCT for a T3-T5 connection. Even with a JFK arrival, so a T5-T5 connection, I thought the minimum connection time was 60 minutes but maybe I'm wrong on that. If it's already booked, I suspect it's a schedule change that will eventually be caught.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wrp96
If the AA arrival is from anywhere but JFK, which still arrives at T5, then that is definitely below the MCT for a T3-T5 connection. Even with a JFK arrival, so a T5-T5 connection, I thought the minimum connection time was 60 minutes but maybe I'm wrong on that. If it's already booked, I suspect it's a schedule change that will eventually be caught.
The arrival is from DFW, landing at 6:20AM. The LHR-ATH flight departs at 7:10AM.

I wonder if this is why my itin is hanging in what appears to be an error state. When I'm near an AA counter next week, I'll probably just see if I can get the whole thing moved a little later in the day....landing at LHR at 10:15AM and going on to ATH on a 12:50 flight. Time to relax and grab a little lunch in the airport... Not like we have a ton planned for Day 1 in Athens anyway.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
The arrival is from DFW, landing at 6:20AM. The LHR-ATH flight departs at 7:10AM.

I wonder if this is why my itin is hanging in what appears to be an error state. When I'm near an AA counter next week, I'll probably just see if I can get the whole thing moved a little later in the day....landing at LHR at 10:15AM and going on to ATH on a 12:50 flight.
Yes that's probably why it's hanging in error state. DFW will arrive into T3. ATH will depart T5. That is definitely below the minimum for a T3-T5 connection.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

I wonder if this is why my itin is hanging in what appears to be an error state. When I'm near an AA counter next week, I'll probably just see if I can get the whole thing moved a little later in the day....landing at LHR at 10:15AM and going on to ATH on a 12:50 flight. Time to relax and grab a little lunch in the airport... Not like we have a ton planned for Day 1 in Athens anyway.

For a schedule change like that involving partner carriers and a now-below-MCT connection you need to just call AA.

An airport agent is most likely not going to be willing and/or able to help (not to mention you'd be monopolizing a check-in/gate/AC agent's in person time when there will be others in line who need assistance for same day issues).
Old Sep 29, 2021, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
Yes that's probably why it's hanging in error state. DFW will arrive into T3. ATH will depart T5. That is definitely below the minimum for a T3-T5 connection.
OK thanks, good to know, for T5 I'll aim for a ~2 hour connection time or a little longer.

Originally Posted by JJeffrey

For a schedule change like that involving partner carriers and a now-below-MCT connection you need to just call AA.

An airport agent is most likely not going to be willing and/or able to help (not to mention you'd be monopolizing a check-in/gate/AC agent's in person time when there will be others in line who need assistance for same day issues).
Well, it's MCI where the agents have historically been pretty good (to me, anyway) and have helped with issues in the past. If they're swamped with day-of-travel issues then I'll just try another time. The travel is for March 2022, so nowhere near desperate enough to call them yet. I'm a lowly Gold without immediate no-hold access to AA phone agents. (Hell, reading this forum, it sounds like even EXP's can't always get a phone agent.)
Old Sep 29, 2021, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA - EXP
Hello

I have a credit from a canceled booking of $649. Am I able to book a one way main cabin JFK - LHR for $580 that I can see C upgrade space on EF for and apply the $649 credit to the fare and the $350 co-pay for a miles + co-pay upgrade (pay the co pay balance of $281?).

Thanks !
Old Sep 30, 2021, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by mosfet
Hello

I have a credit from a canceled booking of $649. Am I able to book a one way main cabin JFK - LHR for $580 that I can see C upgrade space on EF for and apply the $649 credit to the fare and the $350 co-pay for a miles + co-pay upgrade (pay the co pay balance of $281?).

Thanks !
Sadly, no.
You may not use Trip Credit for products and / or services sold separate from the fare price or for taxes, fees or charges in connection with AAdvantage® award travel, American Airlines Vacations℠ or any other non-flight products and / or services sold by American.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...vel-credit.jsp
Old Sep 30, 2021, 9:20 pm
FT

<Deleted>
Old Oct 1, 2021, 11:12 am

Programs: United
NEWBIE to AA!

If a ticket is cancelled within 24 hours of purchase does that result in payment at purchase or a voucher?
If a voucher is issued - how soon does the credit hit the account?

Thanks all!
Old Oct 1, 2021, 1:04 pm
FT

Originally Posted by Johhny5Alive
NEWBIE to AA!

If a ticket is cancelled within 24 hours of purchase does that result in payment at purchase or a voucher?
If a voucher is issued - how soon does the credit hit the account?

Thanks all!
Refund back to CC unless you want the trip credit
Old Oct 2, 2021, 5:08 pm

Newbie Question:

In middle of booking a flight from DOH-SEA-MSP and SEA-MSP legs is on Alaska Airlines. I have a 6.5 hours layover in Seattle - This will be Business class ticket booked with miles. Do i get access to Lounge in Seattle Tacoma airport with the International Business class booked with American Airlines miles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.