Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Electric Blankets Banned from use Inflight on AA (Jan 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2021, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite

According to View from the Wing, electric blankets and heating pads are now banned on AA: https://viewfromthewing.com/american...AreaRegulating cabin temperatur for all customers can be challenging. Some customers are now bringing personal electric blankets and heating pads on board the aircraft and using power ports to heat them up for warmth. This is a fire hazard and not allowed. We are adding electric blankets and heating pads to the list of non-approved PEDs in an upcoming revision of the IFM.

A spokesperson told Gary, “They can be carried onboard, but not plugged in due to the potential fire hazard. Effective date is immediately.”
Auto Enthusiast and CO-PLAT like this.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Interesting... I find the temperature on most planes to be perfectly fine UNLESS, I am sitting near the emergency exit/wing, then, FREEZING. And of course I haven't seen a blanket on board this year, I am guessing removed due to COVID even though we all assumed that they were washed in between flights (I hope?!)
Old Jan 15, 2021, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I haven't seen an electric blanket since my mom gave me one as a kid circa 1980. That being said I can see a fire hazard but I didn't think there were enough instances to prompt such a directive
onanisland likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Interesting... I find the temperature on most planes to be perfectly fine UNLESS, I am sitting near the emergency exit/wing, then, FREEZING. And of course I haven't seen a blanket on board this year, I am guessing removed due to COVID even though we all assumed that they were washed in between flights (I hope?!)
I prefer the 77W flights where they still have pillow/blanket kits.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 5:28 pm

Well thank goodness I can still bring my toaster on board!
Old Jan 15, 2021, 6:16 pm

Never even occurred to me that some people would use an electric blanket on board!

Now that I think about it, I could see a heated back pad as compensating for the too-thin, too-firm upholstery of some seat designs.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 7:24 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
This falls under the category of oddball rules that make you think, there must have been an incident.
Redhead, zeer0, lincolnjkc and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No way those power ports are designed for heating elements. Common sense apparently doesn't apply to everyone. So there needs to be a rule.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 7:38 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
You would think it would go without saying that you can’t plug an electric blanket into a low wattage receptacle designed for a phone charger, but I guess not. I imagine this why airplanes historically had proprietary power connections instead of standard AC plugs. First person to plug in a hair dryer probably takes out the whole system.
Redhead likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
No way those power ports are designed for heating elements. Common sense apparently doesn't apply to everyone. So there needs to be a rule.
I'm not sure understanding wattage, voltage, and amperage is that common. I'm not so sure it's commonly understood how electricity works.

So yes there has to be a rule.
roberto99 and BWISkyGuy like this.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
I'm not so sure it's commonly understood how electricity works.
The pilots just need to pedal a bit faster
TommyD2 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 8:49 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by rickg523
I'm not sure understanding wattage, voltage, and amperage is that common. I'm not so sure it's commonly understood how electricity works.

So yes there has to be a rule.

Just add a note on the back of the seat in front that there is a real danger of being electrocuted in an electric blanket at the high altitudes of flight. That should fit right in with their ignorance of electricity
Old Jan 15, 2021, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
Just add a note on the back of the seat in front that there is a real danger of being electrocuted in an electric blanket at the high altitudes of flight. That should fit right in with their ignorance of electricity

​​​​​​
Old Jan 15, 2021, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Sure. But this is where narrow rules of exclusion are idiotic. Whatever numbskull would plug in the electric blanket is now going to bring on a space heater or whatever other equally dangerous thing isn't explicitly prohibited.
TEBraniff likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Sure. But this is where narrow rules of exclusion are idiotic. Whatever numbskull would plug in the electric blanket is now going to bring on a space heater or whatever other equally dangerous thing isn't explicitly prohibited.
Picturing someone carrying a space heater on board actually made me laugh out loud!
donotblink and TEBraniff like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.