Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How is AA handling COVID-19 Testing Req’ for Those Flying to the US eff. 26 Jan 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How is AA handling COVID-19 Testing Req’ for Those Flying to the US eff. 26 Jan 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2021, 3:08 pm
formerly plenTpak
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Travel Alert: COVID-19 Testing Requirements for Passengers Traveling to the US

AA Statement on Mandatory COVID Testing Prior to US Entry

Beginning Jan. 26, the U.S. government will require all passengers two years of age and older traveling to the United States from any international location to test negative for COVID-19 within three calendar days of departure.

At American Airlines, we’re committed to protecting the health and safety of our customers and team members, and this testing requirement will provide yet another layer of protection in the travel journey. We support the implementation of a global program to require COVID-19 testing for travelers to the United States.

American is working closely with U.S. authorities as it implements this new order and, at the same time, taking care of any affected customers by assisting them with rebooking options. Our team is proactively reaching out to customers who may be affected by this order to ensure they know what to expect.

For folks traveling to locations (personally mexico in March) that are not major metropolitan centers, does anyone have ideas on ways to get a at-home test kit to the US in three days? FedEx, UPS, and DHL come to mind - a lot is going to be left to chance...

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 14, 2021 at 11:54 am Reason: Restore original post title
Old Jan 13, 2021, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by DistrictOfColumbia
AA Statement on Mandatory COVID Testing Prior to US Entry

For folks traveling to locations (personally mexico in March) that are not major metropolitan centers, does anyone have ideas on ways to get a at-home test kit to the US in three days? FedEx, UPS, and DHL come to mind - a lot is going to be left to chance...
CDC order says the results must be from a "laboratory test".
Old Jan 13, 2021, 3:22 pm
formerly plenTpak
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AChekhovGun
CDC order says the results must be from a "laboratory test".
Good point - AA has been partnering with Letsgetchecked.com - for remote testing. Seems like they are going to have to get rapid testing at each of the airports they fly to make this work.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 5:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Moderator note:

Please keep this discussion specific to AA.

There is a more general thread on the topic in the Coronavirus forum, where anything that isn't specifically related to AA should go:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...al-travel.html

~moderator
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 8:40 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
nevermind
Old Jan 14, 2021, 8:53 am
formerly plenTpak
Original Poster

There is a lot of specificity to AA. How they plan on operating in international stations and getting pAAssengers tested within three days of flights.

Last edited by DistrictOfColumbia; Jan 14, 2021 at 11:28 am
Old Jan 14, 2021, 9:15 am

As one data point, we are traveling to St Lucia in March. On the hotel website, they now have this posted:
PCR & RAPID ANTIGENE TESTING: If you require a PCR or rapid antigene test for the return journey home, please know that this can be facilitated directly at our resort.

Countries and hotels will need to figure this out (FAST) if they want to capture the limited tourist market which currently exists.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I was in the UK over Christmas scheduled to fly back on 51 on 12/29 when on the 24th the US announced covid test needed for US arrivals from the UK starting 12/28. I immediately changed my flight back to leaving 12/27 and how quickly that flight filled up and how quickly the flight scheduled on 12/29 emptied. FWIW flight 51 left 6 hours late on the first day of covid tests being required for US arrivals from the UK. Glad I dodged that bullet.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 1:17 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
So what happens if you don't have one? Is AA going to handle this like passports/visas and refuse boarding?

A US citizen cannot be refused entry by CBP upon arrival into the US.
onanisland likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bchandler02
So what happens if you don't have one? Is AA going to handle this like passports/visas and refuse boarding?

They (airline staff) are checking COVID test results prior to boarding so you won't even make it to the CBP if you don't have negative test results. I went ahead and cancelled my 3-day weekend trip to PVR I had in a few weeks....not worth the hassle, expense, and uncertainty. My guess is that the passenger #s on those US-Mexico flights (particularly to leisure destination) is about to experience a significant decline and some/all of any additional flights that were added will be cut.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 9:11 pm

The CDC health order specifically allows for those that have recovered from Covid in the previous 90 days. There is a form, "Attachment A" in the order, which attests by the traveler and a physician that they recovered from Covid. I do wonder how this will be implemented and interpreted by the airlines.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by tfjim
The CDC health order specifically allows for those that have recovered from Covid in the previous 90 days. There is a form, "Attachment A" in the order, which attests by the traveler and a physician that they recovered from Covid. I do wonder how this will be implemented and interpreted by the airlines.
Probably with as much scrutiny and rigor as ESAs were policed, unless the airline is actually on the hook for some consequence for letting someone on with a false attestation
jcatman likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 10:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by bchandler02

Likely the way these kinds of things are handled now, where they currently consult IATA TIMATIC and if you don’t meet the destination country’s requirements you’re denied boarding. If you’re denied boarding, you’ll have to get to the border on your own, I’d guess. Maybe try for TIJ and the CBX pedestrian bridge, if you’re in Mexico?
Often1 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 11:21 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
They (airline staff) are checking COVID test results prior to boarding so you won't even make it to the CBP if you don't have negative test results. I went ahead and cancelled my 3-day weekend trip to PVR I had in a few weeks....not worth the hassle, expense, and uncertainty. My guess is that the passenger #s on those US-Mexico flights (particularly to leisure destination) is about to experience a significant decline and some/all of any additional flights that were added will be cut.
Imagine the logistics of time-zone variances that American Airlines will have to monitor and respect for USA passengers making 2-3 day turns into and out of foreign airports

Sounds really squishy and unmanageable for American Airlines. Oh wait, it's a Government mandate. Doug Parker recently secured tons of taxpayer cash. American is getting paid to make this work properly. All good.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 12:12 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by jcatman
Imagine the logistics of time-zone variances that American Airlines will have to monitor and respect for USA passengers making 2-3 day turns into and out of foreign airports

Sounds really squishy and unmanageable for American Airlines. Oh wait, it's a Government mandate. Doug Parker recently secured tons of taxpayer cash. American is getting paid to make this work properly. All good.
I don't understand why time zone is an issue for AA You get to the airport, show test result not older than 3 days, GA clicks Docs ok, boarding pass issued.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.