Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DCA is drying up for a week (no alcohol flights to or ex DCA)

Old Jan 8, 21, 9:17 am
Original Poster

American Airlines has suspended alcohol service on flights to and from the Washington, D.C.-area through Thursday night and says it will continue to monitor the situation.
https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/n...-area/2533831/

Will more air marshals be added to flights in and out of DC?
Old Jan 8, 21, 9:24 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Dry January!

With its significant health benefits.

Here's some tips from Good Housekeeping on how to do it:

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/hea...uary-benefits/

I'd join in, but it's already January 8.
cruisr likes this.
Old Jan 8, 21, 9:41 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Great, because a few immature morons can't act like adults, everyone has to suffer.
Old Jan 8, 21, 9:42 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA Plat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
This is why we can't have nice things
Old Jan 8, 21, 9:55 am

Programs: AA CK, AS MVPG75K, BA Silver, accidental DL FO, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, AmEx PLT
Originally Posted by jcatman View Post
Dry January!

I'd join in, but it's already January 8.
This is actually quite popular in the British Isles, and it seems to be gaining more popularity in the U.S. the last few years (just my perception). I'm considering a month off, primarily because my waistline needs it after a long year of being more locked down than usual with COVID.

Originally Posted by bchandler02 View Post
Great, because a few immature morons can't act like adults, everyone has to suffer.
Seeing AA ban alcohol out of D.C. when they're already only serving it in J seems like they're just trying to make a statement, as opposed to any meaningful difference.

Ultimately, they seem to have decided to treat their premium passengers like children. As has been pointed out elsewhere, anyone who really wants to booze will just do it in the airport terminal beforehand (or sneak it onto the plane themselves).
Old Jan 8, 21, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I wonder if Dirks B knows about this. Maybe we need a new "Can't get drunk on a plane" song
jcatman, Spanish and Presguy like this.

Last edited by mvoight; Jan 8, 21 at 10:06 am
Old Jan 8, 21, 11:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium/LTP (+UA Silver), National Exec Elite, mlife Noir
Anyone flying today / can you confirm whether there's booze today?

Not a big deal (glad I routed DCA-CLT-CUN tomorrow instead of via MIA) but would be nice to know if booze is back yet.
Old Jan 8, 21, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
With a name like AA it is a wonder they serve the demon rum anywhere anytime.
Old Jan 8, 21, 1:37 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Based on this video -- inside the secure area at DCA -- I don't think alcohol in F is the problem.

It's weird, I always felt like if a group of passengers started hurling obscenities at another passenger inside an airport there would be some kind of, you know, response. Apparently that's not what would happen.
wrp96 and Spiff like this.
Old Jan 8, 21, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Doesn't DCA require masks?

BTW, I assume all the airport bars, etc. at DCA are still selling alcohol. Is it available in airline (etc.) lounges at DCA?

Also, IIRC it's all DC area airports, not just DCA.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jan 8, 21 at 1:53 pm
Old Jan 8, 21, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by metallo View Post

Seeing AA ban alcohol out of D.C. when they're already only serving it in J seems like they're just trying to make a statement, as opposed to any meaningful difference.

Ultimately, they seem to have decided to treat their premium passengers like children. As has been pointed out elsewhere, anyone who really wants to booze will just do it in the airport terminal beforehand (or sneak it onto the plane themselves).
Not having alcohol for a short period of time seems so minot compared to the events of the last 4 years and last few days. Alcohol fuels the problem although I think the moron motivator could use enough for an unconscious state.

Sneaking it on the plane is just why airlines must treat passengers like children in these situations.
Old Jan 8, 21, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium/LTP (+UA Silver), National Exec Elite, mlife Noir
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Doesn't DCA require masks?
Mask compliance seems about par for the course. (I was surprised to see proper mask wearing at 50-60% even at DEN a few days ago, though admittedly it was by the F9 gates.)

What really surprises me is that DCA doesn't have a better way for Hill folks to get from plane to car. I flew a bunch of flights with Mitch (incidentally) DCA-SDF/vv, and in SDF he was often already on the plane before CK boarding.
Old Jan 8, 21, 2:26 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by platbrownguy View Post
What really surprises me is that DCA doesn't have a better way for Hill folks to get from plane to car. I flew a bunch of flights with Mitch (incidentally) DCA-SDF/vv, and in SDF he was often already on the plane before CK boarding.
I dunno, normally at DCA it's not really an event to see members of Congress. Any given Senator or Representative is just 1 of 535. I guess Mitch (as an example) is slightly more important, but the fact is that heavy personal protection is usually only a thing for people like POTUS/VP who don't fly commercial. I remember going through PreCheck one night (late) at the north pier and wondering why several people were whispering and pointing at an old man. It turned out it was Bernie Sanders, just by himself with his laptop bag, heading for a flight to BTV. He indulged two fans with selfies and then everyone went about their normal business.

The point being, the behavior seen in the video is not the norm.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jan 8, 21, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The Leadership of both houses have Capitol Police security details and thus do not pass through the security checkpoint. As with others with security details, they are typically boarded first after the detail has "swept" the aircraft. Other Members go through the checkpoint just like everyone else. Their sole benefit at DCA is parking in a reserved lot near the terminal.

Substantial increase in the visible law enforcement (and I presume, not visible) law enforcement presence.

As to the liquor. Good on AA. Just not worth the risk.
CLT, platbrownguy and wetrat0 like this.

Last edited by Often1; Jan 8, 21 at 3:24 pm
Old Jan 8, 21, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
The Leadership of both houses have Capitol Police security details and thus do not pass through the security checkpoint. As with others with security details, they are typically boarded first after the detail has "swept" the aircraft. Other Members go through the checkpoint just like everyone else. Their sole benefit at DCA is parking in a reserved lot near the terminal.

Substantial increase in the visible law enforcement (and I presume, not visible) law enforcement presence.

As to the liquor. Good on AA. Just not worth the risk.
That makes sense since there are about 2300 members of the Capitol police and it's not like they have a large area to patrol.
ctbarron likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: