Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines Finds Travelers Not Avoiding the Boeing 737 Max

Old Jan 6, 21, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Many

The question of whether travelers would board a Boeing 737 Max again has plagued the planemaker and airlines since the jet was first grounded more than 21 months ago.American Airlines put the question to the test when it returned the 737 Max to revenue service on December 29. During the week since, the Fort Worth, Texas-based carrier operated 14 flights with the 737 Max 8 between Miami and New York LaGuardia. Passengers were notified ahead of time that they were on the jet and everyone was given the option to change their travel plans — at no extra cost — to a flight operated by something other than a Max if they preferred.

And what happened?

“We aren’t seeing data to suggest customers don’t want to fly the aircraft,” American spokesperson Sarah Jantz told Skift. In fact, all but one of the flights flown between December 29 and January 4 were more than 90 percent full — an impressive number given the airline’s loads averaged just 65 percent during the first nine months of 2020.

But the fact that American’s first Max flights were full may not tell the whole story. Flights on the first day of service carried numerous officials and aviation fans commonly known as avgeeks. And the days after covered the New Year’s holiday, including some of the busiest for U.S. airlines since the coronavirus pandemic began.

Few people are likely to make a significant change to their travel plans based solely on the type of jet once they are at the airport, Atmosphere Research Group president Henry Harteveldt told Skift. Where people may opt for a non-Max operated flights is during booking, he added.

“The truth is that far fewer people will actively avoid flying on the Max than claim they will do so in a research study,” said Harteveldt.

https://skift.com/2021/01/05/america...s-many-feared/
Old Jan 6, 21, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium/LTP (+UA Silver), National Exec Elite, mlife Noir
Originally Posted by dsftm View Post
In fact, all but one of the flights flown between December 29 and January 4 were more than 90 percent full — an impressive number given the airline’s loads averaged just 65 percent during the first nine months of 2020.
Silly me for seeking logic on the internet, but the relevant comparison would be to the airline's loads between December 29 and January 4, not to its loads during the first nine months of 2020.
cmd320 and FlyEndeavorAir like this.
Old Jan 7, 21, 12:25 am

Programs: Non-Rev, SkyMiles, Global Entry
Most of the general public don't know or care about the aircraft type, they only look at the seat map to see how many rows and where to sit, they might not even know the aircraft type until they read the safety card or the FA says it in the safety demo.
Old Jan 7, 21, 7:00 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir View Post
Most of the general public don't know or care about the aircraft type,...
I think this is pretty much the reason most likely airlines will not experience lower load factor on 737MAX AA's first 737MAX return flight on Dec. 29 MIA-LGA, a reporter interviewed an passenger on a flight. The passenger said she did not know the flight was 737MAX (reporter added later that all passengers were informed in advanced by AA) and she even did not know what 737MAX was about. After she heard the pilot announced about 737MAX before leaving the gate she Googled on her cell phone and found out what 737MAX is about. I think this represents majority of flying public.
NPF, MSP_Monopoly, trooper and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 7, 21, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
the way I look at it.. any plane can and have crashed... so .. sorry there is nothing you can do.. even a plane with a excellent record will at some point crash
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 7, 21, 10:32 am

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Originally Posted by platbrownguy View Post
Silly me for seeking logic on the internet, but the relevant comparison would be to the airline's loads between December 29 and January 4, not to its loads during the first nine months of 2020.
This. Plus, the article reads like sponsored content -- as if AA's PR folks found some low-grade media outlet to run this propaganda piece under the guise of "reporting."
GaryZ likes this.
Old Jan 7, 21, 10:45 am

Programs: AS / UA / DL
I am wondering if the risk profile of anyone flying during a pandemic correlates to the risk profile of all passengers.

I’m not so sure that the people flying today are representative of any airline’s regular passengers.
no1cub17 and TXguy like this.
Old Jan 7, 21, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Not surprising. Most people don't care about aircraft and can't tell a 737 from a 767 from an a320.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 7, 21, 12:23 pm

I would do the same as AA, find any supporting data and try to publish it - even paid like in this case.

One thing is sure for me, I won’t fly on the 737MAX in the next 5 years at least. Won’t book airlines that use it and don’t allow to rebook on non-Max flights.

I have only one life and currently won’t trust Boeing on this. But in general I do not travel at all currently. Down from 100+ flights per year to the absolute minimum and it works fine.
Nicc HK and smartytravel like this.
Old Jan 7, 21, 1:37 pm

After suffering through 2020, the risk of a 1 in a million plane crash hardly seems worthy of a 'meh'.
Old Jan 7, 21, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, MLife Gold, Caesar's Diamond+, Delta and Southwest Basic this year...
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle View Post
A reporter interviewed an passenger on a flight. The passenger said she did not know the flight was 737MAX (reporter added later that all passengers were informed in advanced by AA) and she even did not know what 737MAX was about. After she heard the pilot announced about 737MAX before leaving the gate she Googled on her cell phone and found out what 737MAX is about. I think this represents majority of flying public.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by arles View Post
I am wondering if the risk profile of anyone flying during a pandemic correlates to the risk profile of all passengers.

I’m not so sure that the people flying today are representative of any airline’s regular passengers.
Great Point! Pretty much most of us flying today aren't "scaredy cats" so we are likely to be more tolerant of the Max.
Old Jan 7, 21, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Only on FT and Airliners.net you will find people with too much time on their hands obsessing over aircraft type. I will bet that 90% of flyers, including many FFs wouldn't know (or care) about the difference between an A319 and an A380.
Old Jan 7, 21, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
What does the emergency card in the seat pocket say?
TEBraniff likes this.
Old Jan 7, 21, 8:20 pm

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by estrela View Post
I would do the same as AA, find any supporting data and try to publish it - even paid like in this case.

One thing is sure for me, I won’t fly on the 737MAX in the next 5 years at least. Won’t book airlines that use it and don’t allow to rebook on non-Max flights.

I have only one life and currently won’t trust Boeing on this. But in general I do not travel at all currently. Down from 100+ flights per year to the absolute minimum and it works fine.

Hmm.. certainly do that if it make one feel safe.
I'm fairly certain though, that no Pilots, nor their unions would agree to operate this aircraft if all of MCAS issues had not been addressed to satisfaction.
writerguyfl and JDiver like this.
Old Jan 7, 21, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
I avoid all of AA's 737s as much as possible
cmd320 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: