Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines Finds Travelers Not Avoiding the Boeing 737 Max

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Airlines Finds Travelers Not Avoiding the Boeing 737 Max

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2021, 7:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
To each their own, but I am actively seeking Max flights. I feel *more* safe in that plane with all of the updates and improvements, as well as the additional training.

With the deals Boeing is giving on existing Maxes and new ones, I expect carriers to buy many more.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by fotographer
the way I look at it.. any plane can and have crashed... so .. sorry there is nothing you can do.. even a plane with a excellent record will at some point crash
While the Max is now safe, I strongly disagree with this perspective on it. Air travel is as safe as it is because safety is taken so seriously and lessons are learned from every accident. This is not about absolutes. Saying a crash "can" happen is just noting that the probability is more than zero. Safety is all about how small the probability is, because, over time, that translates directly to lives lost. A fatalistic attitude like "when your number's up" ignores relative degrees of risk and does not promote safety.
JDiver and WanderingGent like this.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
While the Max is now safe, I strongly disagree with this perspective on it. Air travel is as safe as it is because safety is taken so seriously and lessons are learned from every accident. This is not about absolutes. Saying a crash "can" happen is just noting that the probability is more than zero. Safety is all about how small the probability is, because, over time, that translates directly to lives lost. A fatalistic attitude like "when your number's up" ignores relative degrees of risk and does not promote safety.
maybe its from myself having watched "air diasters" a lot, .. and also having photographed a lot of planes during various phases of construction...
Old Jan 9, 2021, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Only on FT and Airliners.net you will find people with too much time on their hands obsessing over aircraft type. I will bet that 90% of flyers, including many FFs wouldn't know (or care) about the difference between an A319 and an A380.
There's a surprising number of people that (say they will) refuse to book Ryanair in the future as they are afraid of the 737MAX. Those are "average Joe" types with no aviation interest at all.

Personally, I`ll trust AA pilots to have a level of training that'll enable them to fly the MAX safely even with its design flaws. Besides, I have no choice (except switching carriers) as the Airbus fleet doesn't accept AVIH animals.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 5:04 pm

While not a Max, more bad press for Boeing today with the crash of an old 737-500 in Indonesia.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019
While not a Max, more bad press for Boeing today with the crash of an old 737-500 in Indonesia.
IMO, not AA or even Max related so I am not sure what you’re getting at.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
IMO, not AA or even Max related so I am not sure what you’re getting at.
Just Boeing/737/aviation-related news. Mods can feel free to move/delete/whatever.
cbourl likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 8:53 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019
We know nothing other than a plane crashed. Not sure how that would reflect poorly on Boeing.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
More likely to reflect on the Indonesian commercial aviation industry which has a not so assuring past.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 6:32 am

Puzzled why Southwest is so slow to return their boatload of MAX's to service until Spring? AA is currently flying seven or eight a day now and increasing daily. Of the three US MAX flyers I'd have thought Southwest would be returning them to service before anyone else anywhere.
cesco.g likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bhomburg
There's a surprising number of people that (say they will) refuse to book Ryanair in the future as they are afraid of the 737MAX. Those are "average Joe" types with no aviation interest at all.
Then BA will be 200 GBP and Ryanair £40 and they'll fly Ryanair again.
JDiver, jcatman and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 5:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
This is the aviation version of, "that's it, I'm leaving WhatsApp!"
Old Jan 12, 2021, 3:32 pm

I’ve had a few flights on the Max recently and seemed good!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.