Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines’ new emotional support animal (ESA) policy as of 11 Jan 2021

Old Jan 5, 2021, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The US Department if Transportation (the FAA’s parent agency) announced a new policy banning Emotional Support Animals (ESA) onboard December 2, 2020 (link). American Airlines is expected to change it’s policies to conform to the new USDOT / FAA policy.

For general discussion on the new FAA policy, please see the current thread in TravelBuzz (link)

Link to AA Newsroom article regarding AA new ESA policy.

In part:American Airlines today announced forthcoming changes to its policies and procedures for travel with emotional support animals and service animals, aligning with regulations recently issued by the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT). The new policies and procedures are intended to support customers with disabilities and the service animals that travel with them, as well as the team members who work to keep customers safe...

The DOT’s new rule defines a service animal as a dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of a qualified individual with a disability — a narrower definition than in the past. When the rule goes into effect Jan. 11, American will no longer authorize new travel for animals that do not meet that definition, such as emotional support animals. Existing bookings involving emotional support animals will be honored through Feb. 1, when the airline’s new policies go into effect.

Starting Feb. 1, to ensure accessible travel for individuals with disabilities while protecting the safety and well-being of customers and team members, American will ask customers traveling with service animals to complete a DOT form attesting to the dog’s behavior, training and health. The airline will require this form to be submitted electronically 48 hours in advance of a flight, unless the reservation is booked within 48 hours of travel. A service animal’s authorization will be valid for one year or until the expiration of its vaccinations.

Animals that previously traveled as emotional support animals and no longer qualify as service animals may travel as carry-on pets or as cargo pets, as long as they meet the requirements.

American is reaching out to customers who are expected to be impacted by these changes. The service animal forms, along with additional details about the airline’s new policy, will be available on aa.com in the coming days.
For this new thread, a reminder to all:

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST: This thread is strictly moderated and limited to practical discussion of new AA policies regarding psychiatric and emotional support animals and personal experiences on / relating to AA specifically. This is not the forum to discuss general flying animal issues (e.g. whether or not animals should be permitted in cabins, what constitutes a service animal or an emotional support animal, personal anecdotes about falsely documented ESA, etc.) Please direct those broader discussions to the appropriate forum.

Posts with referrals to sites offering spurious ESA documents, discussion best suited to OMNI, attacks against members or those with ESA / PSA meeting the AA guidelines, among others, will be considered dilatory to this and will be subject to summary deletion.
This thread is purely about practical matters regarding the transport of ESA / PSA animals by American Airlines.

Thanks,

/Moderator

Print Wikipost

American Airlines’ new emotional support animal (ESA) policy as of 11 Jan 2021

Old Jan 25, 2021, 10:59 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by FlyerBurger
Ridiculous.
No, what is ridiculous is that you used applied a category - emotional support - to circumvent the the rules. You further jeopardized people with legitimiate ESA needs.

How about this: find a boarding resort or hire a pet sitter when you travel. Worked for us when my family went to Australia and New Zealand for 3 weeks a couple years ago. Our EBD didn't care...

Your "me me me" behavior is the problem.
LovePrunes and robertablake like this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
So what airlines are suppose to make expensive alterations to a/c to carry pets? Really do I want to pay a higher fare so that you can take along Fido or Fluffy? I remember a time when only people with physical disabilities could travel with pets. What did people do back then? They either paid to board their pets, found someone to look after them or put them in the cargo hold. The fact that an adult needs "an emotional support" animal is beyond me. Again, this rant is not mean't for people that have a true medical condition.
LovePrunes and robertablake like this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
What did you do BEFORE ESA animals were permitted and you had to take snub nose in those forced trips to PR?
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 11:34 am

Programs: UA Explorer card, AA Plat, Copa Plat, IHG Plat,
Either Pay $125 or leave Dog at home

Yeah so about that. People who "abuse" rules because they're just rude, or don't care about others? Bad. I agree.

How about snub nosed breed dog owners who have to fly to places surrounded by water? You see, policies like this need to be thought through. We were already in a horrible situation prior to this ridiculous ruling. Now its been made a law.

What was the situation? Well snub nose breed dogs (frenchies, english bulldogs, pugs, etc) are NOT ALLOWED to fly in baggage area because they overheat and might die. I wont even get into the fact that all-breed dogs die in the hundreds (thousands?) yearly because airlines and tarmac personnel are hardly qualified to care for animals.

But we were already screwed and forced to get "emotional support" certification because we physically were incapable of flying with our pets due to the snub-nose rule. We weren't "abusing" it. We were just stuck in a situation that had no options.

1. They weren't allowed in the baggage area
2. They weren't allowed in the cabin

So we had to get Emotional Support approval.

So you may say "Why MUST you fly with your pet?" Save that for the people mentioned above. The ones who break rules for convenience sake. I am required / forced to relocate to, and live in Puerto Rico multiple times per year. Its an island. There is physically no other way for me to get my one family member there (my english bulldog), than by plane. And to be completely candid, there is no way in hell I would let him out of my sight and trust a bunch of randoms or stuff him in a fricken baggage compartment for 9 hours through 3 airports either.

So what are we supposed to do now? Canoe from Miami?

I called American and they said they still accept emotional support animals. You just have to pay $125. Oh and by the way, he has to fit under the F'ing seat in front of me IN a crate. LOL!! I can't even fit my FEET under the seat. What dog would fit down there, let alone in a crate??? This is a ridiculous, poorly thought out ruling that is going to cause massive problems when people get wind of it.

How about airlines get certified as animal caretakers and be forced by law to have climate controlled sections on planes where animals are cared for at room temperature by a live person? Nahhhh ..... shove them in baggage and let them die in their crates as they sit out in the blistering sun on the runway next to the suitcases (like hundreds do every year).

Ridiculous.

You have a choice pay the $125 or leave the dog at home. Most people are sick of all the ESA people that try and deceive the airlines. I am for sure
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
I am required / forced to relocate to, and live in Puerto Rico multiple times per year. Its an island. There is physically no other way for me to get my one family member there (my english bulldog), than by plane. And to be completely candid, there is no way in hell I would let him out of my sight and trust a bunch of randoms or stuff him in a fricken baggage compartment for 9 hours through 3 airports either.
I hear you.
In my case, I have a llama. She is my family.
What is AA thinking?
Old Jan 25, 2021, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
The DOT rule doesn't require AA to ban ESAs, it just permits AA to do so. I think Southwest still allows ESAs. Fly Southwest. This is precisely the kind of problem that the market can regulate well, and it would be great for folks like me who don't want your dogs in the cabin (unless they're in a crate under the seat and stay there), if an airline like Southwest decided to be the carrier that allowed ESAs.
Actually, Southwest just announced changed to their policy today. No more Emotional Support Animals there, either.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 1:59 pm

Honestly the snub-nose dog owner has a bigger problem than what to do with their dog, and that is they have a job that makes them go to PR so often.

But they are charging 30k a month in biz expenses on their Chase card for Chase points, from a different thread.
That could go to a lot of dog boarding expenses, yielding even MORE points from Chase.

Originally Posted by carlosdca
I hear you.
In my case, I have a llama. She is my family.
What is AA thinking?
but is it the special snub-nose breed of llama? Only they get thru a special loop hole.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.