Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flight Cancel / Cancellation / Cancelled / Delay / Diversion 2021-22 (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024

2021 Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] (consolidated)

With hundreds of annual reports of and queries about delayed, diverted, canceled flights we have established this consolidated thread to prevent these from overwhelming other forum threads.

For assistance and useful resources when your flight is affected, see AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, travel policy, delay, cancel etc. resources (master thread)

● For information on current and recent AA flight delays, check out: AACargo.com

● For information on U.S. Airport Delays, check out: FAA Flight Delay Information

● For information about holds, delays, etc. on airports, flights, historical data check FlightStats.

KVS Availability Tool - read here for further information, with access to WSpan Operational Info.

ExpertFlyer also provides FLIFO / Flight Status Comments for current flights in it's Flight Status section here.

● For "translation" of FLIFO terms, use this page on FlyerGuide.

● For current and forecasted weather delays, use Weather.com Airport Delays

● To see a flight's path within the US radar areas and delay histories, use FlightAware flight tracking. (N.B. Some features require a free signup.)

link to archive of 2020 thread.
link to archive of 2019 thread.
link to archive of 2018 thread.

Print Wikipost

Flight Cancel / Cancellation / Cancelled / Delay / Diversion 2021-22 (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2021, 10:53 am

Programs: Choice Hotels
(update)

​​​​​​MY UA ERJ flight IAH-LFT just went mechanical and we are headed back to the gate to get a new aircraft, already 38 minutes past scheduled departure time.

(End update)

That was my assumption. This was the very rare occasion where I'm up against a hard deadline and was able to negotiate a significantly higher fee for the contract. It figures that in this very rare case where I just had to be there that this would happen. This was also the first time in a long time that no decent alternative offered by AA.

The incoming flight from Dallas that was providing the plane canceled last night. The weather in Dallas was fine yesterday, and the weather in Phoenix was certainly okay. How far back is an airline allowed to go when claiming weather? It's almost like the butterfly effect. It's just sad that with every single DFW-PHX flight booked full and not even selling seats, they couldn't find another aircraft/crew at a major hub. That left a full 737 full of pax with no good options. I was number 17 out of 24 on the upgrade list, so this wasn't just a covid era flight packed with tourists.

Service on United was pretty good this morning. The flight attendants seemed happy to be doing their jobs and being able to provide a full service. I am now sitting in the regional cattle holding pin at IAH where they send out multiple flights from the same gate. It reminds me why I don't like to fly regional flights out of CLT.

I'll send an email to AAdvantage after the trip when I get bored just to see what happens. The agent on the phone explained that I would need to go to prefunds to request a refund for the half of the ticket that I did not end up using.

Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
If you turned down an alternative flight arrangement due to weather and rebooked on another airline probably not.

Last edited by thunderdeacon; Jun 14, 2021 at 11:57 am
Old Jun 14, 2021, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by thunderdeacon
(update)

​​​​​​MY UA ERJ flight IAH-LFT just went mechanical and we are headed back to the gate to get a new aircraft, already 38 minutes past scheduled departure time.

(End update)
Have you checked about flying into New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Lake Charles, or Alexandria and renting a car (if you can find one)?
Old Jun 14, 2021, 10:55 pm

AA would have been able to get me to New Orleans that same day, but it was impossible to get a rental car for less than $100 a day. And, I would have forfeited my really good rental car deal at Lafayette if I would have waited until the next day to arrive. The scarcity and high cost of rental cars has been problematic recently for private contractors like me. It was a bonanza during covid because cars were so cheap. But now it's become much more of a liability. On the bright side, we spent an hour and a half at the gate with maintenance and then we were able to take off. So I did finally get to Lafayette even if it was about 4 hours later then my original plans. I just hate that I had to give $380 to United instead of american. I'm going to get very close to platinum pro this year, and every dollar counts.

Originally Posted by wrp96
Have you checked about flying into New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Lake Charles, or Alexandria and renting a car (if you can find one)?
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 12:48 am

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
AA1389 / 6-13 / DFW-PHX, original 8:08pm-8:35pm. The flight kept getting delayed an hour at a time They kept changing the gate, including to different terminal 2 times (D to C to A). Finally at 10:59 they announced the flight was canceled. I then went to the AA customer service desk which as extremely long and it took around 2 hours to speak to someone. There was no other flights out that night. I was able to book a direct flight for Monday morning on the app while waiting in line. Apparently multiple other AA flights that night had been canceled and I hear a rumor it was caused by an AA system problem.

When I spoke to the manager he said he was not able to get me for a hotel room for the night because the hotel group they partner with was sold out and he was not able to book me at the Element hotel I had found with an available room. He said I could try requesting reimbursement for the hotel later. When I asked for a food a food voucher said he was only able to give me one for $12 and even as a manager the system would not allow him to give more, even though he wanted to. I also asked what caused the delay and after checking the computer he told me me that he was not able to find out why.

AA520 / 6-14 / DFW-PHX / original 9:05am-9:43am / actual 12:25pm-12:40pm. My flight out the next morning was repeatedly delayed from what I was told was a mechanical problem (fuel leak).

So all in all I had a 14 hour and 57 min of delay in getting PHX from the original to the actual arrival time, if my math is right. Going to contact to AA for compensation and reimbursement for the hotel (will post results in compensation thread when this happens).
Old Jun 20, 2021, 8:29 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Looks like the underpowered A-321NEO I'm scheduled to fly PHX-KOA today (AA 663) will have to make a fuel stop at LAX due to high Phoenix temperatures. Really makes one miss the 757.
wrp96, GrumpyYoungMan and mnhusker like this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
AA would have been able to get me to New Orleans that same day, but it was impossible to get a rental car for less than $100 a day. And, I would have forfeited my really good rental car deal at Lafayette if I would have waited until the next day to arrive. The scarcity and high cost of rental cars has been problematic recently for private contractors like me. It was a bonanza during covid because cars were so cheap. But now it's become much more of a liability. On the bright side, we spent an hour and a half at the gate with maintenance and then we were able to take off. So I did finally get to Lafayette even if it was about 4 hours later then my original plans. I just hate that I had to give $380 to United instead of american. I'm going to get very close to platinum pro this year, and every dollar counts.
I remember the days when I could rent cars on weekends for less than the corporate rates available to me. This doesn't help now.
Fortunately, the company I work has good corporate rates and it was very helpful when I went to Hawaii for 2 weeks not too long ago. I also have a private AWD number with Avis for the contracting company I have registered.
The rates there are far cheaper than the public rates I get quoted. You might wan to try that.
seawolf likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 10:59 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
I HATE AA!!! I haven't had a smooth flight in a while now! Another cancelled flight. Again from GSP. And the app only wants to help me get from GSP-DFW, my only option is through Chicago which has it's own weather problems right now, rather than giving me an entirely new option to Los Angeles area. Now I am in the two hour customer service hold, and/or waiting on an email from them. There's a flight to Charlotte in two hours I could take, but I am not going to pack up, say goodbye to my ALS mother (again potentially for the last time), only to be denied at the airport. Sorry, rant over.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 11:23 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
I am not asking for the Wiki but do these AA cancellations due to staffing and not weather count as... force majeure or what? I just got an email from AA saying they can't even find a flight to rebook me on. 7 days of searching online and in the app come up with ZERO results, from GSP-Los Angeles though DFW and I don't know if the app is even looking at other options like CLT. I am so pissed I just want to book a Delta flight and force AA to pay it and also give me the miles and EQD.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 1:20 pm

Is there a way to find out the official cancellation reason for a flight? Does the FAA or other government agency have to approve? AA is claiming my flight cancelled due to weather and not due to staffing, and therefore she cannot stick me on a Delta flight and has to give me a ridiculous option instead, To add insult to injury, I told her I preferred aisle seats but they have none because she isn't allowed to stick me in Economy Plus, as the second leg of the new flight is more than 24 hours out and I am merely gold. I truly feel like a tiny amount of weather is being used as an excuse to cover their real need to cancel my flight (management staffing incompetence).
Old Jun 21, 2021, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Is there a way to find out the official cancellation reason for a flight? Does the FAA or other government agency have to approve? AA is claiming my flight cancelled due to weather and not due to staffing, and therefore she cannot stick me on a Delta flight and has to give me a ridiculous option instead, To add insult to injury, I told her I preferred aisle seats but they have none because she isn't allowed to stick me in Economy Plus, as the second leg of the new flight is more than 24 hours out and I am merely gold. I truly feel like a tiny amount of weather is being used as an excuse to cover their real need to cancel my flight (management staffing incompetence).
If AA can at all attribute a delay to weather, even down the line like crew availability they're going to. You are pretty much at their mercy. If you're a GOLD AA won't do a thing other than send you a useless form letter.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 2:36 pm

I did a little searching, and I was able to find a nice corporate account for Enterprise that appears to be quite a bit cheaper than normal rates. Next to nothing rental cars helped my bottom line tremendously during covid.

Originally Posted by mvoight
I remember the days when I could rent cars on weekends for less than the corporate rates available to me. This doesn't help now.
Fortunately, the company I work has good corporate rates and it was very helpful when I went to Hawaii for 2 weeks not too long ago. I also have a private AWD number with Avis for the contracting company I have registered.
The rates there are far cheaper than the public rates I get quoted. You might wan to try that.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 2:44 pm

Most of the flights were full before AA started canceling all these flights due to staffing. It will be interesting to see how much they attempt to blame cancellations on weather as opposed to their own inability to staff their scheduled flights. Unfortunately, it appears that if any of us are on one of the cancelled flights, there are not going to be any good alternatives. I have a lot of flying coming up this summer, and these anecdotes make me nervous.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
I HATE AA!!!
As do I.
I haven't had a smooth flight in a while now! Another cancelled flight. Again from GSP. And the app only wants to help me get from GSP-DFW, my only option is through Chicago which has it's own weather problems right now, rather than giving me an entirely new option to Los Angeles area. Now I am in the two hour customer service hold, and/or waiting on an email from them. There's a flight to Charlotte in two hours I could take, but I am not going to pack up, say goodbye to my ALS mother (again potentially for the last time), only to be denied at the airport. Sorry, rant over.
Sounds like business as usual at AA.

Though certainly any close-in cancellation today is far more likely to be a legitimate WX delay than AA crew shortage. With some fudge factor for OSO, diversions, holds causing longer block times, etc. on day of departure the crew shortage cancellations will be made several days/weeks before departure.

DFW was subject to a ground stop for a couple hours today.

Is there a way to find out the official cancellation reason for a flight?
"Official" is whatever AA wants it to be.
Does the FAA or other government agency have to approve?
No.
AA is claiming my flight cancelled due to weather and not due to staffing, and therefore she cannot stick me on a Delta flight and has to give me a ridiculous option instead, To add insult to injury, I told her I preferred aisle seats but they have none because she isn't allowed to stick me in Economy Plus, as the second leg of the new flight is more than 24 hours out and I am merely gold. I truly feel like a tiny amount of weather is being used as an excuse to cover their real need to cancel my flight (management staffing incompetence).
As posted upthread, something through DFW today is probably a legitimate WX cancel/delay.
Carolina2Cali likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 3:57 pm

Most of the flights were full before AA started canceling all these flights due to staffing. It will be interesting to see how much they attempt to blame cancellations on weather as opposed to their own inability to staff their scheduled flights. Unfortunately, it appears that if any of us are on one of the cancelled flights, there are not going to be any good alternatives. I have a lot of flying coming up this summer, and these anecdotes make me nervous.
It must be in their best financial sense to blame weather, so they don't owe us anything. With other airlines also F'ed, like Southwest last week and their messy systems (which also affected me), they can hope we don't just move on to another airline. I might stop when I hit platinum later this year and immediately status match to Delta, but I am sure someone is probably on their forum right now, also .....ing about something. I guess I would be less pissed if this didn't happen to me every time, on the RETURN, when not close to home. Mom having ALS likely impacts my emotions and judgement too, but alas.

Does anyone actually know how their reciprocity agreements work with the other airlines? Surely AA helped Delta earlier this year with a mess, can't Delta now take some of the burden in return? It's not that there aren't other airlines flying tonight, it's just the one I paid, and at a decent price because I booked 6 weeks ago. I am not paying $400 for a one way flight instead of 180, lol. Is the idea now to run two airlines and have two tickets for everything and always cancel one at the last minute? That sure seems to be an ideal strategy lately.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 3:59 pm

Also, AA's automatic systems need to be stop being so obsessed with the connecting city. If there's multiple routes to get somewhere, stop offering me only routes through the same connection, or routes that END in the connection city... I need to get to Los Angeles, not Dallas, sillies!
socalduck likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.