Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA lowest cost for maximum EQM

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2021, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Clear
AA lowest cost for maximum EQM

Now that 2021 is here and it is time to try to hit AA Executive Platinum again, the good news is that it is only 80,000 EQM and 12,000 EQD

Question:
What is the lowest cost (preferably involving R/T out of South Florida) for the maximum amount of EQM?
Are there any strategies to hitting EQD other than paying for tickets and getting the Barclay EQD + EQM credit card bonus?

For example: MIA-DXB R/T for mid-April is around $2,492 for Business class generating 31,380 EQM = $.079/EQM

I prefer a few longer flights than multiple shorter ones as this is something I may do if I find a sweet-spot in the AA system just to guarantee hitting the 80k/$12k mark.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Unless they increase prices, the problem will be making the EQDs, not EQMs.
GTITAN, lsquare, nall and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by Uzzar
Code shares to the extent that one can get them is a solution, but that might be tough. Perhaps, AS will be beneficial.

Safe Travels
Old Jan 2, 2021, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Clear
Originally Posted by Uzzar
Perhaps...one nice perk of the Barclay AA Silver card is the $3,000 EQD bonus with $50k spend per year.

With 2,000 EQD from 2020 rollover and anticipated 3,000 from credit card bonus and an upcoming trip for $1,000, I am already 1/2 way to 12k EQD and 30k EQM of the 80k EQM needed miles so far.

I have always wanted to go to Dubai and once covid settles down, then that is a great way to visit a new place and generate a ton of EQM.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 11:41 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Originally Posted by GTITAN
Code shares to the extent that one can get them is a solution, but that might be tough. Perhaps, AS will be beneficial.

Safe Travels
OW flights booked as OW flight numbers still have EQDs on distance right? could be useful in this scenario..
GTITAN likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 1:02 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Hyatt Globalist
Per your post title, (max EQM for lowest cost) I recently flew LAS-HNL (via DFW)... 4,839 EQM / 84 EQD... I would assume this is hard to beat? ++ Bonus with upgrade on both segments, lie-flat seat (787 & 777)

That fare seems to be long gone now... if I recall MCO-HNL wasn't that much more when I was searching a month ago.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by MiamiBill
Perhaps...one nice perk of the Barclay AA Silver card is the $3,000 EQD bonus with $50k spend per year.
You'll also get 10,000 EQM from Barclays along the way, and you can stack that with another 10,000 EQM from Citi if you're so inclined.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 5:45 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
If you want EQMs, look at some mileage runs to LAX. There were some fares r/t in the $140 range recently. Fly on some of the 777 aircraft and you've got a nice little trip. $0.03 a mile.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nall
You'll also get 10,000 EQM from Barclays along the way, and you can stack that with another 10,000 EQM from Citi if you're so inclined.
I dont have the Citi®/ AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard - only the Barclay AA Silver

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
If you want EQMs, look at some mileage runs to LAX. There were some fares r/t in the $140 range recently. Fly on some of the 777 aircraft and you've got a nice little trip. $0.03 a mile.
I have boon on that route many times, I personally LOVE the 777 layflat seats and wish EVERY AA flight had them!!!
Old Jan 3, 2021, 8:37 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Of course, the other problem is assuming that air travel will recover in the second half of 2021. (I have already discounted much going on until June)

If that does not happen, options for obtaining $12K in spend is going to be very difficult given the current fares, and the limitations in international travel due to the infection.

What I am hoping for is a further relaxation in requirements for status as the year progresses.

If AA didn't have the exception of credit card spend eliminating EQD for plat pro, I wouldn't have a prayer of making the spend requirement in the current virus infected environment.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 9:52 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
I think one of the best avenues to getting the most bang for you buck on EQD's is special/partner fares and premium economy. I am seeing fares of about $1200 for P from WAS to BKK which is about $4,000 calculated by distance (.20 x 20,000). I am assuming AA Vacations still post as special fares but that may have changed so the "special fares" avenue may have dried up. I will likely just fly business with some partners and stick with Plat Pro given that level gets Emerald status next year.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by MiamiBill
I dont have the Citi®/ AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard - only the Barclay AA Silver
Well then, I smell an opportunity for some bonus miles too

Originally Posted by mcgahat
I will likely just fly business with some partners and stick with Plat Pro given that level gets Emerald status next year.
FYI for Plat Pro and lower, in case you're unaware, AA is currently offering an EQD waiver if you spend $30,000 on a cobranded card.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 12:22 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by nall
FYI for Plat Pro and lower, in case you're unaware, AA is currently offering an EQD waiver if you spend $30,000 on a cobranded card.
I did see that but I don't really see the EQD being a big problem if I am doing biz or premium economy based on distance and fare.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 4:17 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by mcgahat
I think one of the best avenues to getting the most bang for you buck on EQD's is special/partner fares and premium economy. I am seeing fares of about $1200 for P from WAS to BKK which is about $4,000 calculated by distance (.20 x 20,000). I am assuming AA Vacations still post as special fares but that may have changed so the "special fares" avenue may have dried up.
There are still consolidator fares for travel on AA that will credt as special fares. Have not checked lately, but no reason to think AA Vacations would not still have access to bulk fares for their packages as well.
mcgahat likes this.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Jan 3, 2021 at 4:18 pm Reason: clarification
Old Jan 3, 2021, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by radonc1
Of course, the other problem is assuming that air travel will recover in the second half of 2021. (I have already discounted much going on until June)

If that does not happen, options for obtaining $12K in spend is going to be very difficult given the current fares, and the limitations in international travel due to the infection.

What I am hoping for is a further relaxation in requirements for status as the year progresses.

If AA didn't have the exception of credit card spend eliminating EQD for plat pro, I wouldn't have a prayer of making the spend requirement in the current virus infected environment.
Why are you about not qualifying for a status you won't be able to use anyway?

The lower qualification requirements + rollover from 4Q20 mean I very well might qualify for Plat Pro or EXP this year depending on how travel recovers. And I might not even notice or care about crossing those thresholds. If I make EXP the economy will have recovered enough to where demand is back and there's no guarantee of domestic upgrades thus I will still have to buy F when I want F. I will not sit in Y on a long-haul international flight under any circumstances so SWUs are of pretty limited value to me unless AA starts to make generous upgrade inventory available. And if they're smart, why would they?
Dallas49er likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.