Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SDC/SDS is useless

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2021, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
That's easily fixable. SDFC will retain ORC, the same way as upgrades don't add to your EQM.

That's the better solution than making the program useless. I used to SDFC to different hubs when there was weather coming or potential for IRROPs.
When crediting to a partner program ( other than AAdvantage ) you would get the miles and status points for your flown itinerary when you perform a SDC or a SDS.
Plus sometimes, you would get full fare Y and full fare J miles/status points when the airport agent that requests the change, codes the stand-by as Y or J without looking at your originally ticketed fare bucket.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
By the way, on AA you could also go from SANPHXDFWSTL to SANDFWSTL or SANPHXSTL but you can't do it online. Technically, the policy is against this but when you nicely ask an AA agent at the airport, they would generally help you.

I was able to do this several times pre-COVID but only as stand-by.
In theory, yes but again it’s up to the individual agents. I personally have found the L-US (in reality HP) agents to be very adamant about anything that deviates from policy.

So in case you wanted to know the outcome, I went to the gate and identified myself as a standby but that I also wanted to be put on the F waitlist. The gave me a seat in Y, handed me a boarding pass, and said F was full and it was operational reasons. Which was odd to me since there were two people listed prior. Glanced down at the boarding passes pointed out all nonrevs and I was quickly handed a boarding pass for F and nothing else was said.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by aztimm
I lived in Arizona for 20 years and found the agents at PHX to be some of the best in the system. Even after being away for several years, I still know many of them by name, and they'll go out of their way to help me when needed.

To the OP--are you certain there is space on the flight you want out of DFW? If you look at other threads, there were issues at the tower in the area (that serves both DFW and DAL) which caused problems on Wednesday. Thursday the area was hit with weather, which caused further disruptions. It wouldn't surprise me if there simply aren't flights with availability.
Originally Posted by Antarius
Nothing tops PHL.
The ex-America West staff in PHX are nice and friendly but in my experience they just don't know how to do anything beyond checking bags and boarding a flight. I had an IROP on an international itinerary a few years ago and was taken aback by the ignorance of the AAgents there. They didn't know basic stuff like pax can separate involuntarily separate from their bags during IROPS on an international itinerary or what airline LA was and that it was in oneworld. I was embarrassed for them.

PHL staff can be surly sometimes but they generally know what they are doing IME.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dls25
The ex-America West staff in PHX are nice and friendly but in my experience they just don't know how to do anything beyond checking bags and boarding a flight. I had an IROP on an international itinerary a few years ago and was taken aback by the ignorance of the AAgents there. They didn't know basic stuff like pax can separate involuntarily separate from their bags during IROPS on an international itinerary or what airline LA was and that it was in oneworld. I was embarrassed for them.

PHL staff can be surly sometimes but they generally know what they are doing IME.
I have found the PHX GAs to be overzealous when it comes to carryon baggage to the point where they made me check a bag because the counted my small bag of food (that had a bottle of water and chips) as a piece of luggage
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 4:08 pm

Isn’t the point of PPRO to shore up domestic traveling with SDC? If not for that, is it really worth going from plat to plat pro?
Old Jan 2, 2021, 2:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by footballfanatic
Isn’t the point of PPRO to shore up domestic traveling with SDC? If not for that, is it really worth going from plat to plat pro?
Hmmmmmm??? Let's see!

Mileage Bonus: 60% to 80%
Checked bags: 2 to 3
Upgrades: @48 hrs to @72 hrs
Oneworld Status: Sapphire to Emerald (upcoming)

Do any of those make the trek from Platinum to Pro worthwhile especially with the reduced qualifications? Maybe a few successful SDC, SDS might sweeten it a little more.

James
Old Jan 3, 2021, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Upgrades: @48 hrs to @72 hrs
Even more importantly, North America upgrades are complimentary for PPRO.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Even more importantly, North America upgrades are complimentary for PPRO.
With AS, all Elites receive complimentary upgrades. For MVPG & MVPG75K, SDC/SDS are also complimentary. There need only be a seat available, fare class of the cabin booked is irrelevant. I often book the cheapest flight of the day and change it to what I want at OLCI. That option is available during check-in or at anytime before departure. I once arrived in LAX from HKG on CX early and was able to SDC to a flight that was already boarding. The flights didn't meet MCT for the original itinerary.

It is unfortunate that AAdvantage members find AA SDC/SDS useless.

James
Old Jan 3, 2021, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun

It is unfortunate that AAdvantage members find AA SDC/SDS useless.

James
I would make a syntactical change to that sentence: It is unfortunate that AA makes SDC/SDS useless for its AAdvantage members.
Antarius and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
I would make a syntactical change to that sentence: It is unfortunate that AA makes SDC/SDS useless for its AAdvantage members.
That is fair but one in an assimilation of the other. Perhaps I should have said "of limited use," since factually, some do benefit which renders "useless" moot.

James
Old Jan 3, 2021, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Is it useless because it failed to work for you one time?

Last edited by mvoight; Jan 3, 2021 at 10:18 pm
Old Jan 3, 2021, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mvoight
Is it useless because it failed to work for you one time?
It's useless because it's extremely limited. It's not worked for me 100+ times.

I'm based in 2 UA hubs, so I'm not taking direct flights 100% of the time. Since the change, SDFC is largely useless on connecting flights unless flying at odd times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.