Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rubbermaid tote as checked luggage?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2021, 2:07 pm

Duffles is the way to go

Originally Posted by Losgatos
American Airlines says NO to boxes, totes, coolers. Anybody suggest a workaround? Was hoping to travel first class with 4 totes toColombia in lieu of shipping household goods.
I’ve decided not to risk an awkward and possibly expensive check-in confrontation and go with duffles that meet the 62” requirement. I am now looking for some that are reasonably priced, with a weight capacity of 70# and reviews that indicate they will survive more than one flight.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 3:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I've done it many times. Mostly cases of wine.
All the time! Living in Ohio there's a lousy wine selection and ridiculous prices. Always bring a box back in my travels.

That 70lb limit helps when squeezing 15 bottles in a wine shipper. It can be done!
HofstraJet likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 5:00 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
When I was traveling to Anchorage for a spell (2x/mo for 6 months), I always noticed at baggage claim on both ends of my trips, large Rubbermade totes that were wrapped entirely with duck tape coming out to be claimed. Maybe it's allowed on certain trips when they know people are shuttling goods to/from destinations.
I see a ton of these in HNL. Maybe military folks moving around.
Spanish likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by donotblink
+1...people literally check cardboard boxes sometimes!!
I do that all the time when I’m transporting stuff I won’t need to bring back and when transporting wine.
Spanish likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MIAFlyer
We checked a full size Coleman cooler (ice chest) as luggage. Used painters tape around the cooler to keep the lid on/closed. No problem.

Good luck!
Once when I was waiting at the baggage service office I learned coolers are very common as they are used to transport material samples (not human tissue or organs).

Whenever I’m traveling and need to take a cooler, it’s in a box stuffed as if it were luggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.