Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rubbermaid tote as checked luggage?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2020, 6:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by meechyathere
I've been the one that checks in a cardboard box! At the last minute ended up with far more cr*p to take home than expected!
You and me both. Tote will be fine...
Old Dec 31, 2020, 8:01 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by donotblink
+1...people literally check cardboard boxes sometimes!!
I've done it many times. Mostly cases of wine.

Originally Posted by Antarius
Heck, someone did this!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-40577923 .
Some heroes don't wear capes.
A few years ago traveling from GOI to BLR the security screeners pulled my carry on luggage from the x-ray machine. They saw the small cork screw that I keep in my toiletries bag and said I can't carry it on the aircraft. It's about 4 inches long and 0.5 inches diameter - mostly plastic with a metal helix. They politely offered to check it to BLR, so I took them up on their offer. The looks on the baggage agents at BLR when I picked it up were priceless! You could just see the end of it sticking out from under the sticker.

Maybe I should cut back on the wine...
HofstraJet and Antarius like this.

Last edited by PHLGovFlyer; Dec 31, 2020 at 8:07 am
Old Dec 31, 2020, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Years ago MIA- SAP someone had checked a couple of automobile tires. Upon inspection they weren't even new.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by meechyathere
I've been the one that checks in a cardboard box! At the last minute ended up with far more cr*p to take home than expected!
I did that for a flight to MBJ when my kids where younger. It contained snacks and water toys. It was the only time I ever had to go to secondary screening on arrival in a foreign country.
If everything was in large suitcase, I am sure it would have been cleared without an issue, but a cardboard box suddenly meant something illegal was going on. Interesting government logic
SPN Lifer and onanisland like this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA, B6, DL, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Hilton, National
Heck, someone did this!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-40577923 .
Some heroes don't wear capes.
Way back in the day, before Coors was available on the east coast, I packed a dozen cans in checked luggage coming back from CA. Upon arrival at baggage claim, that piece of luggage was not on the carousel. About 15 minutes later, baggage agent walks out from the back holding a bag dripping from the bottom, calling my name. Several cans did not make it in one piece. Decades later my kids are still laughing. Thin aluminum cans cannot take much trauma!
Antarius likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 3:42 pm
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by TBRIC
Way back in the day, before Coors was available on the east coast, I packed a dozen cans in checked luggage coming back from CA. Upon arrival at baggage claim, that piece of luggage was not on the carousel. About 15 minutes later, baggage agent walks out from the back holding a bag dripping from the bottom, calling my name. Several cans did not make it in one piece. Decades later my kids are still laughing. Thin aluminum cans cannot take much trauma!
I once put three cases (IIRC) of Coors in an Air Force duffel bag to bring to Florida. It weighed a ton. The clerk at MCI made me put it on the scale, but I was able to have the bottom third of the bag sit on the floor, which she didn't notice. Even so, I just made the weight limit. In my case, all the Coors made it safely to Florida and into my friends' bellies.
HofstraJet likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 10:19 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by CIT85
I've seen all kinds of checked bags, and Rubbermaid tote sounds pretty tame. I would strap or tape the lid down so it won't open during handling, and allow the luggage tag to go on the strap. You should not have any problem checking it.
This is the only real issue-- ensuring it's secured so that it doesn't open in transit. Some departure airports have that service that will shrink wrap your luggage-- I have used that when I've checked cardboard boxes and the like. Otherwise, use a nylon baggage strap-- useful to check things like coolers where the lid might be prone to open unexpectedly. Sturdy packaging tape (alone) would be a last resort for me if I didn't have anything else.

If your item does not appear sturdy, it's also possible the agent will make you accept a damage waiver (meaning, they'll let you check it in only if you agree that they won't be responsible if it gets damaged). Never experienced it on AA but this has happened to me a couple times when checking in non-suitcase items on Southwest. Each time the item came through fine.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your replies. I will try the Rubbermaid tote and make sure it's securely fastened!
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by TBRIC
I am sure other passengers weren't thrilled to find out their bags had beer all over them

Last edited by mvoight; Jan 1, 2021 at 10:16 pm
Old Nov 1, 2021, 10:06 am

American Airlines says NO to boxes, totes, coolers. Anybody suggest a workaround? Was hoping to travel first class with 4 totes toColombia in lieu of shipping household goods.

• Boxes**
**A “box” is any container that isn’t normally used for transporting items for air travel; this includes plastic tubs, containers and coolers.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Losgatos
American Airlines says NO to boxes, totes, coolers. Anybody suggest a workaround? Was hoping to travel first class with 4 totes toColombia in lieu of shipping household goods.
Buy some cheap suitcases.

AA has restrictions on non suitcases for certain locations. To my knowledge, there isn't a way around it other than to comply.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 11:14 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Buy some cheap suitcases.

AA has restrictions on non suitcases for certain locations. To my knowledge, there isn't a way around it other than to comply.
I’ve used a cheap foldable duffle bag and put box (or boxes) inside on AA to a destination that had restrictions on non-suitcases with no problems.
Antarius likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by donotblink
+1...people literally check cardboard boxes sometimes!!
When I worked in Bermuda, I came back to the USA every 3 weeks and literally did my grocery shopping here. I would go back with one suitcase and two large moving boxes, either the 3.0 or 4.5 cubic foot size. The heavy-duty type made the trip better. I would often have a cooler with ice packs and refrigerated food. I never thought twice about checking a cardboard box. I also did that when moving to and moving back from Bermuda. I'm not sure just why (status, flying F) but I was able to check 3 items, so when I moved back I did it in two trips, with 3 4.5 cubic foot boxes each trip, plus a carry-on. I never really thought of reusable items, but I wouldn't have wanted to anyway, because I wouldn't have wanted to fly with them in both directions.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
When I was traveling to Anchorage for a spell (2x/mo for 6 months), I always noticed at baggage claim on both ends of my trips, large Rubbermade totes that were wrapped entirely with duck tape coming out to be claimed. Maybe it's allowed on certain trips when they know people are shuttling goods to/from destinations.

Last edited by Zacnlinc; Nov 1, 2021 at 1:34 pm Reason: typo corrected
Old Nov 1, 2021, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
When I was traveling to Anchorage for a spell (2x/mo for 6 months), I always noticed at baggage claim on both ends of my trips, large tupperware totes that were wrapped entirely with duck tape coming out to be claimed. Maybe it's allowed on certain trips when they know people are shuttling goods to/from destinations.
AA allows boxes to most destinations. I frequently check cardboard boxes in for stuff headed one way.

They just limit boxes to some destinations.
BWISkyGuy and Spanish like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.