Crew Legal times

Old Dec 26, 2020, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Crew Legal times

How long can a 787 pilot be on duty legal how many hours before flight time does duty time start.

No extra pilots Short flight

Last edited by buckeyefanflyer; Dec 26, 2020 at 3:20 pm
Old Dec 26, 2020, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
How long can a 787 pilot be on duty legal how many hours before flight time does duty time start.

Max of 16 hours of duty time in 24 hours total. Max of 8 hours flying time. Aircraft type doesn't really matter if it's a two pilot crew.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 5:55 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
contractual limits may be less than FARs

also all time limits are block, not flight.
FlyDeltaMD88 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer

Any reason why you posted the same in 3 different forums???

B777 pilot / crew legal duty time if delayed
Legal duty time
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
contractual limits may be less than FARs
Indeed. And even the FARs are quite complicated:
https://www.alpa.org/~/media/DAL/Doc...Rules-Text.pdf
Old Dec 26, 2020, 9:29 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by cmd320
Max of 16 hours of duty time in 24 hours total. Max of 8 hours flying time. Aircraft type doesn't really matter if it's a two pilot crew.
Those are the "old" rules, still used for part 121 cargo-only flights.

Passenger flights are now under 14 CFR 117. That is where the tables posted above came from. Under 117, there are no simple answers. Lots of variables and look-up in tables. Wouldn't be workable without computerized scheduling systems.

Having more restrictive contracts was common before 117 but now flight time and flight duty period time limits are generally not more restrictive than the regulation in most situations.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 9:47 pm
Suspended

There's FAR legal times and contractual legal times. At my previous airline, I worked crew scheduling. At this airline, there was a position within crew scheduling that solely dealt with legalities and the software could also determine if a crew or individual was going to time out based on their block hours. I honestly forget what the specific times were but they were less than the FAR's, and the pilot contract had more limits than the FA contract. When it came time to swap or add a crew member to a flight pairing or trip, we would have to do some math to determine if the crew member could do a trip or not. We had a supervisor every now and then give us scenarios and have us practice if they could operate the trip or not. Even if someone added someone and they wouldn't be able to do it, the software would catch it and the individual responsible for monitoring for this either fixed it themselves or had us fix it. You also had many crew members who did not know this, either calling up complaining when they thought they'd go over the contractual limit and didn't or wanting to add extra legs but would become illegal. In either case we didn't let them. I personally feel crew scheduling is a very overlooked, overworked, and underpaid position even with the software advancements.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 10:22 pm

The duty day for pilots starts at check in, 1 hour before departure
Old Dec 27, 2020, 4:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Moderator note:

The OP posted this in the AA, UA, and DL forums. Cross-posting is not permitted on FT.

According to this post, perhaps issue pertains to UA:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32915025-post3.html
Cleveland Browns charter delayed due to positive Covid test. Inbound left EWR at 1020 am to CLE. Outbound to EWR now showing 6PM was suppose to leave 230PN .I wound guess 2 pilots on that distance. They obviously can’t keep moving it out due to my crew legal question.
I'm closing this thread, as it isn't clear that this pertains to AA. If the OP has further questions, please contact a moderator of the appropriate airline forum and we'll re-evaluate..

aztimm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.