FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Krug Alert! On sale @ MIA D30 Admirals Club... and others? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2030931-krug-alert-sale-mia-d30-admirals-club-others.html)

platbrownguy Dec 21, 20 5:30 pm

Krug Alert! On sale @ MIA D30 Admirals Club... and others?
 
$65/half bottle, visible on the bar from across the room and listed on the menu.

I didn't flinch. Bartender popped the cork and brought it on a silver tray to my seat, poured the glasses, and placed it in a cooler.

I asked and the bartender confirmed that they are liquidating the reserves from FFD, which saddens me because with each cork of Krug that I merrily pop (and I intend to pop a good many), the death knell of FFD will sound. At below-discounted-retail prices though, bottoms up.


SNA_Flyer Dec 21, 20 5:40 pm

Thanks for the heads up.... Will need to check LAX out. Definitely a good deal.

nachosdelux Dec 21, 20 5:45 pm

wonder if you can get it to go.....

thanks for the heads up; great price.

platbrownguy Dec 21, 20 6:02 pm


Originally Posted by nachosdelux (Post 32903436)
wonder if you can get it to go.....

thanks for the heads up; great price.

I asked if I could pop the cork myself but he said they had to do it.

Of course if you just wanted to drink it to go, you could put it in a coffee cup, but you'd kill the already-fine bubbles.

The real question is whether I should bring my own Krug flutes next time I come through here...

ISTFlyer Dec 21, 20 6:10 pm


Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer (Post 32903424)
Thanks for the heads up.... Will need to check LAX out. Definitely a good deal.

Just a reminder that the LAX club is currently closed due to local restrictions.

cmd320 Dec 21, 20 6:40 pm

Sweet! Any idea if you can pay with miles like on Delta?

You can get a full bottle of dom in the SC for 10,000 Skymiles, it would be great to see AA offer something similar, especially while FFD and the FLs are closed.

platbrownguy Dec 21, 20 6:50 pm


Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 32903513)
Sweet! Any idea if you can pay with miles like on Delta?

You can get a full bottle of dom in the SC for 10,000 Skymiles, it would be great to see AA offer something similar, especially while FFD and the FLs are closed.

No can do. Credit card only.

donotblink Dec 21, 20 6:57 pm

I wonder if theyíre doing this at jfk too?!?

cmd320 Dec 21, 20 6:59 pm


Originally Posted by donotblink (Post 32903543)
I wonder if theyíre doing this at jfk too?!?

Are they even allowed to serve in NY right now?

wingzing Dec 21, 20 7:20 pm

And the Kistler chard (to the right of the Krug) made the Wine Spectator top 10 for 2020. At least one of the Kistlers did - I can’t make the vineyard or vintage from the photo.

jcatman Dec 21, 20 7:27 pm


Originally Posted by platbrownguy (Post 32903462)
I asked if I could pop the cork myself but he said they had to do it.

Of course if you just wanted to drink it to go, you could put it in a coffee cup, but you'd kill the already-fine bubbles.

The real question is whether I should bring my own Krug flutes next time I come through here...

I think you should hold off buying any additional Krug.......at least until I finish my upcoming trip next week. :p

I'm not aware of any AAdvantage credit cards that earn bonus AA miles when used at an Admiral's Club.

Wonder if buying a drink (1/2 bottle :cool:) at the Admiral's Club will code as a restaurant purchase for 4x Membership Rewards on the American Express Gold Card?

MSPeconomist Dec 21, 20 7:55 pm

The word bittersweet seems to describe this.

BTW, the Groth cab is pretty good too.

hp12c Dec 21, 20 8:11 pm


Originally Posted by jcatman (Post 32903616)
I'm not aware of any AAdvantage credit cards that earn bonus AA miles when used at an Admiral's Club.

Wonder if buying a drink (1/2 bottle :cool:) at the Admiral's Club will code as a restaurant purchase for 4x Membership Rewards on the American Express Gold Card?

It would trigger fee credits on the Amex Platinum, right?

Antarius Dec 21, 20 8:16 pm


Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 32903513)
Sweet! Any idea if you can pay with miles like on Delta?

You can get a full bottle of dom in the SC for 10,000 Skymiles, it would be great to see AA offer something similar, especially while FFD and the FLs are closed.

Given the general uselessness of skypesos, that's an astonishingly good deal.

ijgordon Dec 21, 20 8:19 pm


Originally Posted by hp12c (Post 32903653)
It would trigger fee credits on the Amex Platinum, right?

Technically, no. Lounge entry is eligible for the fee reimbursement but in-lounge purchases are not. Not particularly logical, and a major pet peeve of mine of course. That said, Iíve had luck calling in and having them reimburse. Most recently there was no pushback, but a few years ago I had to fight the agent. 😀

Intl359Widget Dec 22, 20 2:48 am


Originally Posted by platbrownguy (Post 32903462)
I asked if I could pop the cork myself but he said they had to do it.

Of course if you just wanted to drink it to go, you could put it in a coffee cup, but you'd kill the already-fine bubbles.

The real question is whether I should bring my own Krug flutes next time I come through here...

Youíre such a heathen! Fine Champagne tastes the best when served in a glass but I guess the hoi polloi at Delta would be content with a paper cup to go.

fotographer Dec 22, 20 7:23 am

its a good thing we are traveling at this time.. my wife would have a field day

asnovici Dec 22, 20 7:46 am

Will see if DFW D lounge has any of that goodness today but not expecting much.

Fraser Dec 22, 20 9:46 am

Good spot and a great deal!

I rather like DL's feature of paying for premium champagne with Skymiles. Since I fly so infrequently with them it's a great use of orphan miles....and was about the only remotely premium thing about the LGA ground experience!

krazieman Dec 22, 20 1:50 pm

Will try DFW next week, but it's an 8:45am flight to Orlando for Disney with my kids. Not sure if I should finish 2 mini bottles of Krug that early in the morning.

cmd320 Dec 22, 20 2:06 pm


Originally Posted by krazieman (Post 32905550)
Will try DFW next week, but it's an 8:45am flight to Orlando for Disney with my kids. Not sure if I should finish 2 mini bottles of Krug that early in the morning.

Sounds like a very good reason to finish as many bottles as possible...

anaggie Dec 22, 20 2:33 pm

What time does the D club in DFW open? I have a flight at 7am to Cancun next week and maybe can down a bottle before that 🤣

I arrive the day before at 730pm into DFW .. maybe I can run over to D and order a bottle, some guacamole and chips and then go back down to collect my bags and head to the Grand Hyatt. Would this be feasible?

donotblink Dec 22, 20 4:59 pm

What can we get at the airport that would pair well? Is it worth trying to bring in caviar or something?

beachfan Dec 22, 20 5:21 pm

Sushi pairs well at can be gotten at MIA (at least pre COVID).


quality is acceptable (but not enticing).

strawberries, chocolate, perhaps more reliable at the airport.

.
Do they let you take the Krug out unopened? While itís a great price , not if I have to drink it at 8am.

id hope itís the 168 edition, which should be these since 164th, and better than 169 (due to base years of 2012 and 2008 for the 168 and 164 respectively. If it dient say, there is a code on the back that can be checked at the Krug website.

As far as Delta and Dom, it was the 2009 Dom when I was last in a Skyclub, from what I hear, inferior to the 2008

AA100k Dec 22, 20 8:38 pm

Hope it doesn’t run out before I get to DFW next week. Nice way to bring in the New Year, hoping it’s much better for all.

platbrownguy Dec 22, 20 8:42 pm


Originally Posted by donotblink (Post 32905961)
What can we get at the airport that would pair well? Is it worth trying to bring in caviar or something?

Krug, like most fine champagne, pairs well with darn near anything... steak, chocolate, caviar, smores, whatever. You could certainly bring a cooler with solid-form ice packs holding a tin of caviar, some boiled potatoes, a bit of creme fraiche, and some garnishes. Could be fun. But with all that effort, might as well be at home if you're flying solo. If there's interest in getting something together some time 12/27-30, I would totally be down for a MIA D30 Krug-and-caviar "do" to drain the supplies. We could go in on a 250g tin of Marshallberg Farms ossetra. PM me.


Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 32906003)
id hope itís the 168 edition, which should be these since 164th, and better than 169 (due to base years of 2012 and 2008 for the 168 and 164 respectively. If it dient say, there is a code on the back that can be checked at the Krug website.

As far as Delta and Dom, it was the 2009 Dom when I was last in a Skyclub, from what I hear, inferior to the 2008

the half bottles don't say on the front but I've always found the grand cuvee to be pretty consistent unlike Dom and others. I didn't check the code on the back but it's whatever they were pouring in FFD in Feb.

That said, I've done a few champagne parties during covid and no group has yet perceived a meaningful difference between the '08 and '09 Dom. '08 vs '12 Veuve, absolutely (the '08 is much nicer).

platbrownguy Dec 22, 20 8:45 pm


Originally Posted by AA100k (Post 32906364)
Hope it doesnít run out before I get to DFW next week. Nice way to bring in the New Year, hoping itís much better for all.

I don't think anyone's confirmed that DFW D even has it. I'll be there 1-2pm on Christmas, just long enough...

donotblink Dec 22, 20 8:53 pm


Originally Posted by platbrownguy (Post 32906369)
Krug, like most fine champagne, pairs well with darn near anything... steak, chocolate, caviar, smores, whatever. You could certainly bring a cooler with solid-form ice packs holding a tin of caviar, some boiled potatoes, a bit of creme fraiche, and some garnishes. Could be fun. But with all that effort, might as well be at home if you're flying solo. If there's interest in getting something together some time 12/27-30, I would totally be down for a MIA D30 Krug-and-caviar "do" to drain the supplies. We could go in on a 250g tin of Marshallberg Farms ossetra. PM me.



the half bottles don't say on the front but I've always found the grand cuvee to be pretty consistent unlike Dom and others. I didn't check the code on the back but it's whatever they were pouring in FFD in Feb.

That said, I've done a few champagne parties during covid and no group has yet perceived a meaningful difference between the '08 and '09 Dom. '08 vs '12 Veuve, absolutely (the '08 is much nicer).

I canít do 12/27...Iím currently scheduled to fly into MIA 12/30 and could possibly do 12/29!

cmd320 Dec 22, 20 9:29 pm


Originally Posted by platbrownguy (Post 32906369)
Krug, like most fine champagne, pairs well with darn near anything... steak, chocolate, caviar, smores, whatever. You could certainly bring a cooler with solid-form ice packs holding a tin of caviar, some boiled potatoes, a bit of creme fraiche, and some garnishes. Could be fun. But with all that effort, might as well be at home if you're flying solo. If there's interest in getting something together some time 12/27-30, I would totally be down for a MIA D30 Krug-and-caviar "do" to drain the supplies. We could go in on a 250g tin of Marshallberg Farms ossetra. PM me.

Now that sounds like a lot of fun. I need to go back to CLT again soon, but Iím
not sure I can get it together that quickly. I had been planning for an early January timeframe. If I can do it between Xmas and NY though, Iíll definitely be on board!

jcatman Dec 22, 20 10:43 pm


Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 32906449)
Now that sounds like a lot of fun. I need to go back to CLT again soon, but Iím
not sure I can get it together that quickly. I had been planning for an early January timeframe. If I can do it between Xmas and NY though, Iíll definitely be on board!

January 2021? We will be lucky if there is any left two days after Christmas.

3544quebec Dec 23, 20 12:56 am


Originally Posted by donotblink (Post 32905961)
What can we get at the airport that would pair well? Is it worth trying to bring in caviar or something?

There is a Maccas close by isn't there? Last time I was dipping my McNuggets in champagne someone walked by and said that a Frenchman would kill me for that. So it is clearly a combination that is to die for.

platbrownguy Dec 23, 20 4:49 am


Originally Posted by 3544quebec (Post 32906686)
There is a Maccas close by isn't there? Last time I was dipping my McNuggets in champagne someone walked by and said that a Frenchman would kill me for that. So it is clearly a combination that is to die for.

FT really needs a dislike button!! :mad: :mad: :p

MIAFlyer Dec 23, 20 5:53 am

I will be in MIA at 9:30a on the 28th. Never had Krug, but will on Monday if it is still available! Thanks for the heads up. If you see me there, come say hello!

jcatman Dec 23, 20 7:07 am


Originally Posted by MIAFlyer (Post 32907039)
I will be in MIA at 9:30a on the 28th. Never had Krug, but will on Monday if it is still available! Thanks for the heads up. If you see me there, come say hello!

Some of us plan to schlepp through the MIA Admirals Club later that week and would appreciate it if you and platbrownguy would exercise some restraint. :p

krazieman Dec 23, 20 8:39 am

All this talk is fun, but I'm going to bet DFW doesn't have any.

perigord Dec 23, 20 9:08 am


Originally Posted by anaggie (Post 32905655)
What time does the D club in DFW open? I have a flight at 7am to Cancun next week and maybe can down a bottle before that 🤣

I arrive the day before at 730pm into DFW .. maybe I can run over to D and order a bottle, some guacamole and chips and then go back down to collect my bags and head to the Grand Hyatt. Would this be feasible?

D club opens at 5:15 but sadly, cannot purchase alcohol until 7 AM in TX and even later on Sundays. Evening run is your best chance.

platbrownguy Dec 23, 20 10:27 am


Originally Posted by krazieman (Post 32907328)
All this talk is fun, but I'm going to bet DFW doesn't have any.

Eh, I mean DFW served Krug at its FFD pre-covid, so I might as well take the other side of that bet. Would be nice to know sooner than Friday... so I can route through MIA instead if need be!

MIAFlyer Dec 23, 20 11:27 am


Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 32906003)

id hope itís the 168 edition, which should be these since 164th, and better than 169 (due to base years of 2012 and 2008 for the 168 and 164 respectively. If it dient say, there is a code on the back that can be checked at the Krug website.

I will look and try to take a pic if possible. Since I don't know exactly what I'm looking for any "pre-guidance" before Monday would be welcome.

platbrownguy Dec 23, 20 2:15 pm


Originally Posted by MIAFlyer (Post 32907775)
I will look and try to take a pic if possible. Since I don't know exactly what I'm looking for any "pre-guidance" before Monday would be welcome.

Flip the bottle over and to the left of the bar code will be a prominent 6-digit "Krug ID" number, which you can then punch in here for more info: https://www.krug.com/what-is-krug-id

anaggie Dec 23, 20 2:41 pm


Originally Posted by perigord (Post 32907407)
D club opens at 5:15 but sadly, cannot purchase alcohol until 7 AM in TX and even later on Sundays. Evening run is your best chance.

If I take a shot at an evening run, what would happen to my bags at baggage claim? Can I leave them there for a while and then come back to claim them? Will they still be there or will I have hunt them down ?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:22 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.