Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA re-starts service between Charlotte and Honolulu, operated by a Boeing 777-200

AA re-starts service between Charlotte and Honolulu, operated by a Boeing 777-200

Old Dec 20, 20, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite

While Iím excited about this route, I canít understand why theyíre launching it over the summer, when I perceive demand to be lower.
GTITAN and jerseytom like this.
Old Dec 20, 20, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
USAir had tried the route before on the ol' 767 but it never worked out very well. As a CLT native, I am all for this!

Safe Travels
Old Dec 20, 20, 1:17 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, Tvl Ldrs
Originally Posted by donotblink View Post
While Iím excited about this route, I canít understand why theyíre launching it over the summer, when I perceive demand to be lower.
Perhaps due to the number of historical options for summer vacation destinations currently suspended or subject to travel restrictions. FWIW, Hawaii has a huge summer vacation draw from the West Coast.
Old Dec 20, 20, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by GTITAN View Post
USAir had tried the route before on the ol' 767 but it never worked out very well. As a CLT native, I am all for this!

Safe Travels
Thatís right! US Air flew it before. They tried CLT-HNL and it did not work. They stop in Phoenix to get refueled. If I remember correctly. Due to high headwinds. The 767-200ER couldnít get there to HNL.
Old Dec 20, 20, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 4.5 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I'm excited to be on the inaugural flight of this new route to Honolulu from Charlotte on May 6, 2021. The aircraft will be a 772. Unfortunately, seat 1A was taken so I selected 1L on the starboard side. This will be AA's longest domestic route at 4,678 miles. By way of comparison, ORD/HNL is 4243 miles and DFW/HNL is 3784 miles. I'll post a trip report.
ESpen36, Abidjan, rhg247 and 10 others like this.
Old Dec 20, 20, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Is demand to Hawaii really that strong at this point?

HA is adding HNL-MCO which I found shocking. I guess there must be some kind of demand or there wouldnít be so many new Hawaii flights. It still seems like DFW should be an easy enough transfer from CLT, not sure what cities this really adds as 1-stops that couldnít already go via DFW.
Old Dec 20, 20, 7:04 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG75, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
In a world where Americans will be amongst the last in line to let back in for leisure travel, perhaps Hawaii was smart to be the only state in the entire union having an even semi-firm grip on controlling the virus. Wealthy mainlanders who would go abroad to rich destinations I imagine Hawaii is at the top of the list nowadays.
Old Dec 20, 20, 7:09 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post

HA is adding HNL-MCO which I found shocking. I guess there must be some kind of demand or there wouldnít be so many new Hawaii flights. It still seems like DFW should be an easy enough transfer from CLT, not sure what cities this really adds as 1-stops that couldnít already go via DFW.
Essentially, yes. Hawaii remains a hotspot for Americans during these times, especially with international restrictions.

Since COVID, airlines have added several new Hawaii routes and upgauged aircraft.

Alaska: LAX-LIH/KOA
United: ORD-KOA, EWR-HNL
Hawaiian: HNL-ONT/AUS/MCO, LGB-OGG
Southwest: LGB-HNL
American: CLT-HNL, upgauged PHX-OGG to 788, 1x DFW-HNL to 77W, 1x LAX-HNL to 789.
ESpen36, N830MH and LovePrunes like this.
Old Dec 20, 20, 11:41 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, DL Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold

If you are in Florida and can't go on a cruise, a non-stop to Hawaii is pretty enticing.

James
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Dec 21, 20, 12:00 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, IC Amb
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer View Post
Perhaps due to the number of historical options for summer vacation destinations currently suspended or subject to travel restrictions. FWIW, Hawaii has a huge summer vacation draw from the West Coast.
I love the nice 6.5hr nonstops from PHX-Hawaii.

I go in summer....and fall/winter/spring, too!!!

but mostly May-Sep because the water is warmer.
Old Dec 21, 20, 2:06 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Thatís a lot of fuel to carry over the US, and pass by 3 hubs. The analytics must show strong demand and ability to price it high

This must be going out of concourse D in CLT, yes? Canít think of any other area that has the gate space to serve / seat all the pax on a 777
Old Dec 21, 20, 5:13 am

Programs: Gymboree Global Services

stronger than Intl demand which is where HA would otherwise fly their A330s. The MCO flight will sit on the ground for 24 hours in MCO.
Old Dec 21, 20, 5:37 am

Programs: AA, NH, Amex
Consider me intrigued...!
Old Dec 21, 20, 6:03 am

Programs: AA CK, Million Miler (1.999m)
Originally Posted by jerseytom View Post
Consider me intrigued...!
Same here!
Old Dec 21, 20, 8:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
I love the nice 6.5hr nonstops from PHX-Hawaii.

I go in summer....and fall/winter/spring, too!!!

but mostly May-Sep because the water is warmer.
I don't have the travel numbers, but I always thought Hawaii is a year-round destination. Hotel and flight prices are usually more expensive in the summer than the winter (except the holidays), so seems like summers are pretty popular.

I agree with May-Sept being best because the water is warmer, and being the dry season the weather is more favorable. (and it isn't too hot, like summers in Miami and the Caribbean). The only thing about the winter that makes that season better is whale watching.

I have to assume that CLT-HNL is just a reflection of their long haul strategy (throw a dart on a dartboard, give the route a try for a year and see if it can stick). I would bet that this one could stick though - CLT is a huge hub and should see plenty of demand for connections to popular long haul destinations like HNL.

I welcome such a move though I doubt I'll ever take that flight -- I hope it helps lessons the high demand/premium pricing on the DFW-HNL routes (it is nearly always cheaper for me to book SWO-DFW-PHX/LAX-HNL, as though I want to airport hop my way westward).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: