Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Picking a different FF program when booking on AA.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Picking a different FF program when booking on AA.com

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2020, 11:01 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, UA Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by DaveH
Apologies in advance if this was asked elsewhere and my search skills failed me...

Is there a way to pick another program, such as AS, when booking on AA.com, if you also have your AA number in your personal info?
Yes, but you do it as if you are booking for someone else. Retype your name and input the FF information manually. I found this easier than being a guest (I can use my saved CC information)
SFO777 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Of course there is - just do not log into the account when making the booking , book with AA over the phone or book through a travel agent are 3 options

A 4th option is to phone after booking and have the AA number removed from the booking

Only if wanting to take advantage of benefits afforded to EP members, is there a requirement to accrue to AA
As far as I understand, the OP has already booked the ticket so the first 3 options don't apply for him. Otherwise, the first option is the most legitimate.
Option 4 might apply but we still don't know if he had used benefits like choosing MCE seats, requesting upgrades, etc...
Old Dec 28, 2020, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaveH
Apologies in advance if this was asked elsewhere and my search skills failed me...
Is there a way to pick another program, such as AS, when booking on AA.com, if you also have your AA number in your personal info?
What is intent of doing this? Why?
Hope to get a benefit of AA status when crediting the flight to the AS ffp?
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 12:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
As far as I understand, the OP has already booked the ticket so the first 3 options don't apply for him. Otherwise, the first option is the most legitimate.
Option 4 might apply but we still don't know if he had used benefits like choosing MCE seats, requesting upgrades, etc...
The OP seems to be asking about how to make the booking, not that there the booking has been made ; Of course, will have to accept that the benefits of EP do not apply

If the booking has been made, then can phone and replace/add the other scheme's FF number (assuming not an award booking) as long as no benefits of EP status have been used
Old Dec 28, 2020, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
The OP seems to be asking about how to make the booking, not that there the booking has been made ; Of course, will have to accept that the benefits of EP do not apply

If the booking has been made, then can phone and replace/add the other scheme's FF number (assuming not an award booking) as long as no benefits of EP status have been used
If so, your previous post completely applies. Another and safer idea would be to open AA.com on an incognito tab to avoid any issues with cookies and book it over there. Of course, without logging in to the AAdvantage account.

I am not 100% sure how AA's system works, but as a reminder, some other airlines do not honor miles when you change your FFP from the airlines' own FFP to another partner FFP even though if you have your partner FFP on your boarding pass.An example for this case is United.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 1:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I am not 100% sure how AA's system works, but as a reminder, some other airlines do not honor miles when you change your FFP from the airlines' own FFP to another partner FFP even though if you have your partner FFP on your boarding pass.An example for this case is United.
So - if you book on Egyptair and have a Singapore number in booking , remove it and then add a United FF number, United will not credit miles?

I am not aware of any OW programme that has such a restriction and am very surprised that such a restriction could be applied
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So - if you book on Egyptair and have a Singapore number in booking , remove it and then add a United FF number, United will not credit miles?
It's the opposite, once you linked your MP account with the reservation and at a later stage change it with a non-UA FFP #, the miles would go to United.
Of course, when you change your FFP from MS or SQ to UAMP, the miles go to United MileagePlus.

I am not aware of any OW programme that has such a restriction and am very surprised that such a restriction could be applied
Qatar Airways Privilege Club is one of them. I think it's QR's system that triggers the issue rather than an unwritten restriction.

Once you entered your QRPC # or a QR booking, the only way to get those miles credit to another OW partner account is closing your QRPC account. Many people who were shifting to BAEC from QRPC tried this and they failed, such as some members who've joined the QRPC program just for the extra flexible destination changes got their miles credited to QRPC unless they deleted their account.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 4:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Well I hope AS isn't one of them. I am in a situation that is kind of opposite to what the OP is asking.

I have an AS flight coming up that I booked while logged into my AS account, but entered my AA number during booking, and it clearly shows my AA number when pulling up my reservation. (when booking an AS flight, there's a drop down to select one of several FFPs, even when logged in to ones AS account)

Anyone else have experience with getting AS flights credited to other FFPs in this situation?

It's the opposite, once you linked your MP account with the reservation and at a later stage change it with a non-UA FFP #, the miles would go to United.
Perhaps that is not unusual, but a couple of years ago I once checked-in to an SQ flight with my UA (*G) FFN so that I could get into the lounge, but then had the gate agent switch it to my SQ FFN just before boarding (since the fare class that I was on had a poor UA earning rate). The flight was ultimately credited to SQ as I had desired.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by econ
Perhaps that is not unusual, but a couple of years ago I once checked-in to an SQ flight with my UA (*G) FFN so that I could get into the lounge, but then had the gate agent switch it to my SQ FFN just before boarding (since the fare class that I was on had a poor UA earning rate). The flight was ultimately credited to SQ as I had desired.
To clarify I was mentioning;
UA MileagePlus number on UA metal 016- stock tickets issued by United.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
For an award ticket , it is not supposed to be possible to remove the related AA number from the Aadvantage booking - getting lounge access should be possible by showing the membership card at the lounge entrance
Fine, but I want MCE at ticketing from my BA Silver status. And until the new web site, it was perfectly acceptable to not associate the person flying on the ticket with the Advantage number.

So if I want to get an award ticket for a relative to come visit me (e.g. I'm not flying), how do I do that now?
Old Dec 28, 2020, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Fine, but I want MCE at ticketing from my BA Silver status. And until the new web site, it was perfectly acceptable to not associate the person flying on the ticket with the Advantage number.

So if I want to get an award ticket for a relative to come visit me (e.g. I'm not flying), how do I do that now?
When you book an AA award on their website, you can simply clear out your personal info and then enter the details (including FFN for multiple programs, like BA) for whomever you are booking the award for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.