Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA closes operations at KEF, MAN, PRG and postpones VCE to 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2020, 1:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

JonNYC published a letter on Twitter from Jim Moses to AA PHL / Philadelphia employees that states AA is closing operations at KEF / Reykjavic, MAN / Manchester and PRG / Prague, and will suspect flights to VCE / Venice until 2022 at this time. Aircraft used for the cancelled transatlantic flights will be put on Central and South America routes, where routes are responding more rapidly to demand.

Nonetheless, he continues, AA remains committed to PHL as transatlantic gateway and will relaunch flights to 12 overseas destinations including AMS / Amsterdam, ATH / Athens, BCN / Barcelona, CDG / Paris Charles De Gaulle, DUB / Dublin, EDI / Edinburgh, FCO / Rome Fiumicino, LIS / Lisbon, LHR / London Heathrow, MAD / Madrid, SNN / Shannon and ZRH / Zurich.
ronp101 and N830MH like this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 6:25 am

Programs: Avios
Originally Posted by JDiver
JonNYC published a letter on Twitter from Jim Moses to AA PHL / Philadelphia employees that states AA is closing operations at KEF / Reykjavic, MAN / Manchester and PRG / Prague, and will suspect flights to VCE / Venice until 2022 at this time. Aircraft used for the cancelled transatlantic flights will be put on Central and South America routes, where routes are responding more rapidly to demand.

Nonetheless, he continues, AA remains committed to PHL as transatlantic gateway and will relaunch flights to 12 overseas destinations including AMS / Amsterdam, ATH / Athens, BCN / Barcelona, CDG / Paris Charles De Gaulle, DUB / Dublin, EDI / Edinburgh, FCO / Rome Fiumicino, LIS / Lisbon, LHR / London Heathrow, MAD / Madrid, SNN / Shannon and ZRH / Zurich.
I have a flight PHL PRG in early June that has not been cancelled yet. I will expect a email from them soon.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 7:11 am

Ugh I finally got my business extra award ticketed to Venice and then this happens.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 8:05 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
It's interesting that these eastern European cities are so reliant on the river cruises to me. I would think (even if cruise demand doesn't come back), there would be plenty of others in my demographic (non-cruise leisure travelers) who will travel.
asnovici likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
I booked several J award seats PRG-ORD via PHL, so this is disappointing news. It looks like the flights are still for sale, and wonder when this news will be reflected in their schedule.

Hopefully they will route us to LHR on BA then ORD on AA, without having to pay higher taxes.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EP
Maybe with theirs weekend’s skd load?

am sure the letter was to give employees a heads up before it showed up in the schedule.

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
I booked several J award seats PRG-ORD via PHL, so this is disappointing news. It looks like the flights are still for sale, and wonder when this news will be reflected in their schedule.

Hopefully they will route us to LHR on BA then ORD on AA, without having to pay higher taxes.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Maybe with theirs weekend’s skd load?

am sure the letter was to give employees a heads up before it showed up in the schedule.
my MAN-PHL flight mid July isnt bookable anymore. so yeah, maybe it updates this night.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
KEF doesn't surprise me all that much as they don't really have a suitable aircraft to fly there anymore.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 6:45 pm

I have a SFO-PHL-MAN award booked for May. Wondering if they’ll allow rebooking on BA without the ridiculous surcharges?
Old Dec 19, 2020, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by rrapynot
I have a SFO-PHL-MAN award booked for May. Wondering if they’ll allow rebooking on BA without the ridiculous surcharges?
I called about VCE and answer was no.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 1:04 pm

Just got off the phone with AA. My only options were refund or rebook on BA and pay almost $700 in extra fees. No thanks... I'll just rebook on a competitor for $188 and keep my points.
Spiff likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Just got off the phone with AA. My only options were refund or rebook on BA and pay almost $700 in extra fees. No thanks... I'll just rebook on a competitor for $188 and keep my points.
SFO-MAN for 188 bucks? Wow
Old Dec 20, 2020, 1:42 pm

Programs: Avios
Originally Posted by olouie
I called about VCE and answer was no.
Let them rebook you, do not try and rebook yourself.I have never paid any additional money when AA initiates the rebooking.
econ likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Tilto007
Let them rebook you, do not try and rebook yourself.I have never paid any additional money when AA initiates the rebooking.
On paid tickets I agree but on award flights AA won’t do much. They will allow you to rebook if there is open availability but you pay any extra taxes and fees (huge on BA) or just cancel the reservation.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by olouie
On paid tickets I agree but on award flights AA won’t do much. They will allow you to rebook if there is open availability but you pay any extra taxes and fees (huge on BA) or just cancel the reservation.
In my anecdotal experience, if you have a web special they will not rebook you on a partner no matter what. If you have a milesaaver, there is a slight chance YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.