Wiki Posts
Search

AA Adds FLL-BOS/JFK/LAX, DFW-LGB

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2020, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: None
AA Adds FLL-BOS/JFK/LAX, DFW-LGB

According to Cranky Flier, AA's adding Fort Lauderdale to Boston, New York JFK, and Los Angeles.

Just yesterday, JetBlue added Miami to Boston, New York JFK, and Los Angeles (and Newark). AA was quick to respond.

Additionally, AA's adding a daily Dallas/Fort Worth to Long Beach on the E-175 starting April. Last week, Southwest added DAL-LGB in its schedule extension.

These routes currently aren't available for booking, but they should open over the weekend.
ronp101 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Isn’t competition great?
Old Dec 18, 2020, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
AA on Oasis versus JetBlue with legroom and inseat AVOD and free WiFi....hmmm?
cmd320 and jacca83 like this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 10:03 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I’d pick oasis j over b6 Y.
GrumpyYoungMan, Blumie and Tack like this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
They actually flew FLL-BOS/LAX before, not JFK. They did not served to JFK, but they actual went to LGA. They tried FLL-SJO/KIN in the past and it did not work. Due to low demand.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 6:29 am

Programs: Avios
I hope this ends up being correct. Looks like some $99.00 roundtrip fares between MIA/ FLL and LAX will be lasting for a while.I had a look and there are many $75.00 roundtrip fares loaded between MIA and LAX for FEB/MAR, For those with status, they can get the AA premium economy seats for free on many of these flight due to 777 being flown. Not a bad deal
Old Dec 19, 2020, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Isn't every single one of these routes a previous AA route? I don't see anything new here.

By the way: JetBlue, please bring Mint to DFW.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Air Houston
Isn’t competition great?
Yes, it is! Lots of competition. Let see what happens.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Lol, if that's in fact the aircraft they're planning to operate on FLL-LAX that's hilarious.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Herb687
Isn't every single one of these routes a previous AA route? I don't see anything new here.

By the way: JetBlue, please bring Mint to DFW.
I think you're right, with perhaps the exceptions of DFW-LGB (if AA did fly it, it hasn't operated in the last decade or so). But all of the others were definitely recent drops that are simply returning. I distinctly remember being at gates as recently as 2015 or 2016 in both FLL and MCO, and seeing AA flights boarding for JFK.

AA's real concern, especially if it intends to both partner and compete with B6 going forward in the domestic market going forward, is product, product, product. Both hard and soft, primarily in its premium products, both Flagship and non-Flagship routes. The unwillingness to expand the domestic Flagship product beyond the two core routes has hamstrung its ability to compete. At least the old AA realized this, and used its soft product to differentiate routes when it could not offer an enhanced hard product in a market. AA could return to this approach tomorrow on non-Flagship transcon routes, but bean counters must be preventing this for a reason most of us won't ever know. With respect to the Flagship transcon routes, and with the A321T likely being retired, AA is at a real crossroads and needs a solution, fast. The fact that they've built ground infrastructure (Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining) based upon that strategy likely greatly complicates the situation, too.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
I think you're right, with perhaps the exceptions of DFW-LGB (if AA did fly it, it hasn't operated in the last decade or so).
AA definitely flew DFW-LGB in the past. I'm certain about that one.

AA's real concern, especially if it intends to both partner and compete with B6 going forward in the domestic market going forward, is product, product, product. Both hard and soft, primarily in its premium products, both Flagship and non-Flagship routes. The unwillingness to expand the domestic Flagship product beyond the two core routes has hamstrung its ability to compete. At least the old AA realized this, and used its soft product to differentiate routes when it could not offer an enhanced hard product in a market.
How?

AA could return to this approach tomorrow on non-Flagship transcon routes, but bean counters must be preventing this for a reason most of us won't ever know. With respect to the Flagship transcon routes, and with the A321T likely being retired, AA is at a real crossroads and needs a solution, fast. The fact that they've built ground infrastructure (Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining) based upon that strategy likely greatly complicates the situation, too.
AS buying VX was the worst thing to happen to DFW-based flyers in the past 10 years.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
[QUOTE=Herb687;32898617]AA definitely flew DFW-LGB in the past. I'm certain about that one.

Absolutely, I flew on this route in the mid 2000’s on the S80. It was a real delight to use LGB instead of LAX. I even did LGB-JFK and back around 2003/2004.
Carfield likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, both AA & DL who tried FLL-SDQ before and it did not work. This route is no longer served. Due to low demand.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 12:13 am

DFW-LGB on E175

Just checked the schedule...

FLL-LAX will be operated twice daily beginning April 3, 2021 with A321NX (NEO) - two class.

FLL-BOS/JFK will also be operated twice daily with Boeing 737-800s.

DFW-LGB will be once daily operated by E175.
DFW-LGB will be a 10:50am departure with a 12:14pm arrival.
LGB-DFW will be a 12:40pm departure with a 5:50pm arrival.

Other the the new LGB flights, the rest is not that impressive. However, I have a feeling that all the US airlines will be launching all kind of domestic flights and see which market will work.

Carfield
N830MH likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 8:35 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Absolutely, I flew on this route in the mid 2000’s on the S80. It was a real delight to use LGB instead of LAX. I even did LGB-JFK and back around 2003/2004.
For a time, the flight was routed DFW-LGB-SBA. LGB was popular with a few of the legacies back in the 80s/90s. TW had even a 767 to STL at some point.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Dec 20, 2020 at 10:59 am Reason: sp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.