SAN - Rude/Unprofessional Gate Agent

Old Dec 26, 2020, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Talk about gaslighting and belittling. Double standard much?

Two opinions have been presented here:
1) GA behavior was absolutely unacceptable and by all means it was worth for the OP to complain and seek the local supervisor to hear the story. The supervisor will discuss the issue with the GA and a written report will go on his file. These little efforts will eventually make a change in GA culture and the SAN GA in question.
2) GA behavior can be interpreted differently and, in the big picture, the GA actually took the time (away from other GA responsibilities) to comply with the OP swap seat request, the "threat" could have been shrugged off by some here as a bad joke. Complaining does not do much as GAs have been like that for a long time and the system does not allow change (unions).

No need to insult other posters because they have a different opinion. It goes both ways.

This tread is done.
Where was the other poster insulted? It's perfectly acceptable to disagree with another poster, just as I am with you.
bostontraveler and Gringa like this.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
Where was the other poster insulted? It's perfectly acceptable to disagree with another poster, just as I am with you.
I'm gone. Happy holidays.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 2:16 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Omg. Y’all are still here?
no1cub17 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
If you assume the OP was completely accurate. I don't buy it and a majority of people on FT have no clue on the job airline employees do.
I think the fact that the CSM knew who the agent was just based on the story I told him gives me sufficient credibility, unless you think that, too, is made up.

As I also stated earlier, my father has worked for United for 3 decades. As a kid, I was raised to dress nice, be polite (please and thank you) and listen to the airline personal when flying as a non-rev. The way I was raised holds true to today, regardless of airline or whether I'm on a ticket or non-rev passes. I've flown during more than one summer-from-hell on United and have seen first hand how poorly some passengers treat the GA's. However, this does not excuse the disrespect and attitude shown by GA. Agents like this one are the same my father talks about on the United side and are no fun for their co-workers or passengers.

FWIW, I fly quite frequently and have for a number of years now and this is the only time I have ever complained about an agent. In fact, I've been relatively happy with all of my AA interactions up until this one and my only past correspondence with AA was to compliment a very good flight crew (and efficient PHX ground crew) after an unplanned fuel stop in PHX on a ORD-LAX flight.

Originally Posted by carlosdca
2) GA behavior can be interpreted differently and, in the big picture, the GA actually took the time (away from other GA responsibilities) to comply with the OP swap seat request, the "threat" could have been shrugged off by some here as a bad joke.
To further clarify
  • When I approached the gate it was approximately T-30 and boarding had already started and the podium was empty. One agent was boarding the plane and the agent I approached was standing there literally doing nothing with his arms crossed.
  • CSM confirmed that the behavior from this particular agent was not done in a joking manner
bostontraveler, cmd320 and Gringa like this.

Last edited by NRoften; Dec 26, 2020 at 9:02 pm
Old Dec 26, 2020, 9:21 pm

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by NRoften
I think the fact that the CSM knew who the agent was just based on the story I told him gives me sufficient credibility, unless you think that, too, is made up.

As I also stated earlier, my father has worked for United for 3 decades. As a kid, I was raised to dress nice, be polite (please and thank you) and listen to the airline personal when flying as a non-rev. The way I was raised holds true to today, regardless of airline or whether I'm on a ticket or non-rev passes. I've flown during more than one summer-from-hell on United and have seen first hand how poorly some passengers treat the GA's. However, this does not excuse the disrespect and attitude shown by GA. Agents like this one are the same my father talks about on the United side and are no fun for their co-workers or passengers.

FWIW, I fly quite frequently and have for a number of years now and this is the only time I have ever complained about an agent. In fact, I've been relatively happy with all of my AA interactions up until this one and my only past correspondence with AA was to compliment a very good flight crew (and efficient PHX ground crew) after an unplanned fuel stop in PHX on a ORD-LAX flight.

To further clarify
  • When I approached the gate it was approximately T-30 and boarding had already started and the podium was empty. One agent was boarding the plane and the agent I approached was standing there literally doing nothing with his arms crossed.
  • CSM confirmed that the behavior from this particular agent was not done in a joking manner
As a CSM until a couple months ago (I took a voluntary furlough package) I can tell you that your complaint likely fell on deaf ears because of the substance of the complaint.
tkelvin69 likes this.

Last edited by StevenSeagalFan; Dec 27, 2020 at 8:16 am
Old Dec 27, 2020, 10:00 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
As a CSM until a couple months ago (I took a voluntary furlough package) I can tell you that your complaint likely fell on deaf ears because of the substance of the complaint.
Exactly. Much a fuss about nothin'.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 10:05 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
So per your logic, if one doesn't find your perspective helpful one should move on?

Is this not a discussion forum? You are one of many commenters, not the OP and not the moderator. So I'll stick around as I have been for over 15 years and move along when I so decide.

FT has always been a helpful community where we all respectfully share our experiences on travel. Perhaps it's a sign of the times but there's a lot more anger with some FTrs... which is unfortunate.

If you believe it appropriate to condone unprofessional behavior, that's your opinion. I suspect most would disagree. I certainly would not.

We all base our advice/guidance on what a poster says. If you don't believe the OP, what need is there to comment?
I'd love to live in a house without any mirrors ... Happy New Year!!
Old Dec 27, 2020, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
I'd love to live in a house without any mirrors ... Happy New Year!!
My grandfather once told me as a child that when people resort to personal insults, it's because they have run out of arguments. I find those wise words to be so true.

It's unfortunate to have this kind of attitude here. And kind of humorous that a few of you guys don't seem to care about the thread but continue to engage- not to offer anything productive-- just to antagonize. (??)

The OP posted a message because it was important to him/her. Instead of belittling other FTers (which is probably also why you and several others also didn't find any problem with the behavior-- it's a similar kind of disrespect), my suggestion- just try to offer productive feedback.

If the only commentary you have for a fellow member is to gaslight them and tell them it doesn't merit discussion then I think you have misunderstood the spirit of FT. Heck, you even tried it with me... but I'm not biting- don't play that game here nor in real life. I made my point clearly and have no more to discuss here.

Happy Holidays to you.
Spiff, TWA884, apeortdz and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 11:16 am
C46

Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
As a former Passenger Services Lead Agent & GSC, at an international outstation, I must state that customer complaints were adressed in the daily (de-)briefing.
At some (domestic) stations, there might be a "we do not give a f***"-additude; but I simply cannot agree to a general claim that station management does not care.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 11:43 am

My grandfather once told me as a child that when people resort to personal insults, it's because they have run out of arguments. I find those wise words to be so true.

It's unfortunate to have this kind of attitude here. And kind of humorous that a few of you guys don't seem to care about the thread but continue to engage- not to offer anything productive-- just to antagonize. (??)

The OP posted a message because it was important to him/her. Instead of belittling other FTers (which is probably also why you and several others also didn't find any problem with the behavior-- it's a similar kind of disrespect), my suggestion- just try to offer productive feedback.

If the only commentary you have for a fellow member is to gaslight them and tell them it doesn't merit discussion then I think you have misunderstood the spirit of FT. Heck, you even tried it with me... but I'm not biting- don't play that game here nor in real life. I made my point clearly and have no more to discuss here.

Happy Holidays to you.
Checking FT today, surprised to see this thread is still going. LOL.
You dedicated your whole post to lecture tkelvin69.
Do you have anything new to add to the OP's post?
tkelvin69 and apeortdz like this.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 11:45 am

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by C46
As a former Passenger Services Lead Agent & GSC, at an international outstation, I must state that customer complaints were adressed in the daily (de-)briefing.
At some (domestic) stations, there might be a "we do not give a f***"-additude; but I simply cannot agree to a general claim that station management does not care.
Not the case on the domestic side, I've worked at 2 hubs and 1 larger outstation. I'm not saying customer complaints weren't addressed, I'm saying petty BS ones like this weren't worth the time.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 12:12 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)

It's unfortunate to have this kind of attitude here. And kind of humorous that a few of you guys don't seem to care about the thread but continue to engage- not to offer anything productive-- just to antagonize. (??).
I'm sad to say, but I do agree with you. I once made the mistake of thinking that people were supposed to be pleasant to each other here - and I was very wrong. I had a complaint - not unlike the OP. This time it was at check-in. The agent was unbelievably rude and I walked away absolutely steaming and that was after many years in the business myself. I asked the Forum the best way to complain and the result was an avalanche of snide rudeness which I did not think that the question merited. Someone thought that I should get over myself -and I am still unsure how one does that in English or in fact but then people parrot loads of words and phrases that they have never really considered. No matter.

To keep this on thread. I found out that AA take such matters seriously and the person involved was identified. I do not want people to get into trouble or worse have job problems but they need to know that there are consequences and that when one is in a customer facing job that one does so often have to button ones lip (in my case a double strength zip is required). I learned how to fix a smile and not rise to the bait. The traveling public are not always the most of gracious of souls and sometimes it takes more of an effort than at other times. My own view is that in this particular incident -as we neither saw the body language nor the tone of voice - I regarded it as a rather warped sense of humour from what was written. It would seem that the OP has dealt with the matter as he saw fit.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Yes, 100% agree. Same thing happened to me when I posted about a bad experience transatlantic on AA.

There is some strange notion that it should be totally acceptable to attack or belittle others. No, hate to break it to you but disrespect is not an opinion. It is disrespect. Period.

I find it quite interesting (read- depressing) that some people found my posts offensive in any way (unsurprisingly the same posters that were offensive to others).

Im sorry, but their behavior here is not welcome in my book. Nor is it welcome on FT. This isnt high school where bullies control a discussion. This is a forum.

Part of the rules of FT (aside from a proper upbringing which should have taught people how to interact with others) are to speak to others in a respectful manner. Cant grasp that? Cant do that? Then stay off FT.
SPN Lifer, cmd320 and Gringa like this.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 1:02 pm

This is the OP original post:
Originally Posted by NRoften
That said, two questions:
1. If I send in a complaint can he be identified some how through my new boarding pass/seat change?
2. Is it worth complaining about or am I overreacting?
OP's second question is not a factual question. OP's second question is asking for advice/opinion.
"not worth it"
"move on"
"Get over it"
"you are over-reacting"
"horrible GA, complain!"
are perfectly valid answers to #2, as that's the feedback the OP asked for.
Some FTers elaborated on why they advised the above, others did not.

Happy new year and see you in 2021
tkelvin69 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
OutrAAgeous!

DC9 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.