Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA offers free inflight messaging using ViaSat - four month trial

Old Dec 16, 20, 2:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

“In time for holiday travel, American Airlines will begin offering free inflight messaging to passengers via services like Facebook Messenger and Messenger Kids. The approximately four-month trial period will be available to passengers flying aircraft equipped with ViaSat high-speed WiFi.” (AA has confirmed to someone I know only these will qualify, not others such as WhatsApp, etc.)

”More than 80 percent of the American Airlines’ narrow-body fleet uses the ViaSat WiFi system. This includes some Airbus A319 and A321 aircraft as well as the A321T. It also includes its Boeing 737-800 and Boeing 737MAX aircraft.”

link to Forbes article
Old Dec 16, 20, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
“In time for holiday travel, American Airlines will begin offering free inflight messaging to passengers via services like Facebook Messenger and Messenger Kids. The approximately four-month trial period will be available to passengers flying aircraft equipped with ViaSat high-speed WiFi.” (AA has confirmed to someone I know only these will qualify, not others such as WhatsApp, etc.)

”More than 80 percent of the American Airlines’ narrow-body fleet uses the ViaSat WiFi system. This includes some Airbus A319 and A321 aircraft as well as the A321T. It also includes its Boeing 737-800 and Boeing 737MAX aircraft.”

link to Forbes article
Facebook messenger? No, thanks. Facebook is menace to our society and anyone that understands privacy will never use them
cmd320, Spiff, fotographer and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 16, 20, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by jerryss View Post
Facebook messenger? No, thanks. Facebook is menace to our society and anyone that understands privacy will never use them
Agreed....totally useless for me. I hardly ever communicate with family or friends via FB Messenger
cmd320 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 20, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
Agreed....totally useless for me. I hardly ever communicate with family or friends via FB Messenger
I don't use Facebook and never have so this is useless to me also.

Delta offers free inflight messaging across multiple apps including iMessage and WhatsApp which are arguably the most important, oh and it's not a trial either, it's just a product that's always available. Of course, it's one of the only services Delta still offers...

JetBlue still leads the market with regards to WiFi IMO.
JDiver and GlobalMatt like this.
Old Dec 16, 20, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Titanium
I wonder if the point of using Facebook Messenger is to see if they could drive traffic to the app. Then they could use that as justification for cost-sharing the new benefit with the service.
Old Dec 16, 20, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Glob-Lite, MLife Gold, Caesar's Diamond+, Delta and Southwest basic this year...
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
I don't use Facebook and never have so this is useless to me also.

Delta offers free inflight messaging across multiple apps including iMessage and WhatsApp which are arguably the most important, oh and it's not a trial either, it's just a product that's always available. Of course, it's one of the only services Delta still offers...

JetBlue still leads the market with regards to WiFi IMO.
I mean right? Delta, you may not have a Coke. But you may enjoy an empty middle seat, and messaging. American, we'll bring you two cokes and an apple juice if you ask, but our entertainment system app only works half the time and there certainly isn't messaging. Due to... COVID. Uhuh...
cmd320 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 20, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali View Post
I mean right? Delta, you may not have a Coke. But you may enjoy an empty middle seat, and messaging. American, we'll bring you two cokes and an apple juice if you ask, but our entertainment system app only works half the time and there certainly isn't messaging. Due to... COVID. Uhuh...
Agreed, it really shouldn't be this difficult to find a single (domestic) airline that can accomplish most of these basic expectations.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 20, 7:38 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
maybe AA should be more concerned about the actual WiFI on offer instead.
flew QR recently .. they offered free wifi.. it was pretty decent except over the north pole .. fast enough for me to post pictures ,etc... (that was a 16hr flight)
cmd320 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 20, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Glob-Lite, MLife Gold, Caesar's Diamond+, Delta and Southwest basic this year...
Originally Posted by fotographer View Post
maybe AA should be more concerned about the actual WiFI on offer instead.
flew QR recently .. they offered free wifi.. it was pretty decent except over the north pole .. fast enough for me to post pictures ,etc... (that was a 16hr flight)
Santa's reindeer request you go in Airplane No-Wifi mode over the North Pole so Rudolph's nose works right, duh!
fotographer and onanisland like this.
Old Dec 18, 20, 8:28 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
in-flight messaging

Saw this on AA's Twitter feed this evening: "We are happy to announce we're testing free messaging services in-flight over the next few months, customers can now access services like @Messenger and @MessengerKids"
Old Dec 19, 20, 5:46 am

Yesterday my son was able to send free iMessages in flight, so it doesn't appear limited to just Facebook Messenger.
Old Dec 19, 20, 8:30 am

Programs: AA Gold, Admirals Club (via CC)
Originally Posted by MIAFlyer View Post
Yesterday my son was able to send free iMessages in flight, so it doesn't appear limited to just Facebook Messenger.
This will either be great or terrible. 😂 “No Mom, I’m not there yet.”

Search this Thread
Search Engine: