Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Would you do it - $2100 to get 4 systemwide upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you do it - $2100 to get 4 systemwide upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2020, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I would not.

FWIW - if there is any sign showing that international travel is recovering (the purpose of SWU), then it is not a bad idea. However, you have 4 now and they are not used yet. The chance you can use those 4+4 is pretty slim.

Beside - straightly speculation - if there is no significant improvement in the early 2021, the US3 will implement a new set of relief anyway, unless they decide to close up shops.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA PPro
If you have flexibility and willing to search for upgrades, I would do it. I don't travel as much as other folks and just used 4 SWU to rome and back from athens. I would never pay it, but those are normally $2300 each way or about premium of $1500 each way. Others who have less flexible schedule might not be able to use.

Thanks for the post about miles + copay. I used to do that when I was united flyer but then discovered AAvacations and then lots of good options to earn miles and dollars on Qatar when they have deals.

So if it were me yes.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by J S
You are valuing your time to fly this roundtrip at $0, not counting any additional cost to fly this round trip (e.g., parking at the airport) and assuming that you will definitely use all 4 SWUs. Of course, some people so love travel that they would actually value spending the day on an airplane with no purpose. I am not one of those people.
Sure, but I'm assuming that if the OP is asking the question in the first place then they're willing to blow a day on planes in order to optimize frequent flyer benefits. I personally like to turn mileage runs into short trips (did a 3 day LAX-BCN run last year) so I get some other value out of them.

I did forget that since OP is already EXP they'd earn 20K+ miles in addition to the SWUs. To me, the biggest wildcard is, as you said, whether or not the OP eventually uses all 4 SWUs. Easier if OP is flexible on schedule/destinations. FWIW I recently confirmed Y-J SWUs at booking for 2 people on LAX-LHR-LAX in July so not impossible to get a lot of value out of them. Don't know if I would have been able to do that pre-COVID though.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Depends on how you value your time and the SWUs. I always think in terms of how could I upgrade if I didn't have the SWU. So for international, would typically be $350 + 25,000 miles. So at minimum these are worth 1,400. I just did an ORD>LAX turn for $90 to hit 90,000 EQMs and get 2 additional SWUs. Worth it to me since I will use them.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 4:28 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Yes, I would, and I have done this in the past. I value SWUs at about $1100 each for travel to Europe. But I realize it is a personal decision that will vary greatly.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 5:55 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
jeffk1961 As others have suggested, I'd "go for it!" to get the 4 SWU. Just be prepared that you, went for it in 2020 if you come to regret it. Don't blame AA for the lack of availability of space for you to upgrade using the SWU's.

I'm in a similar situation at the moment. I "went for it" a few months ago knowing that I'd at least past the 120K threshold to get the 2 additional SWU's. I had no idea that I'd get close enough to 150K threshold as I am now. I'm 10K "short", and at this stage of the year and with the holidays around the corner, I've decided not to press my luck any longer as I imagine the planes are going to be full at this point regardless of routes taken. Thank goodness the office holiday closure starts on the 23rd and ends on the 4th. I don't need any temptations to "go for it" with the current state of affairs with COVID-19. I have 8 SWU I have to hopefully be able to use next year in the manner I'd like to with possible Intl. travels.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 9:44 am
J S

Originally Posted by jcain
Sure, but I'm assuming that if the OP is asking the question in the first place then they're willing to blow a day on planes in order to optimize frequent flyer benefits. I personally like to turn mileage runs into short trips (did a 3 day LAX-BCN run last year) so I get some other value out of them..
I get that, but there is a cost to spending a day on a plane (unless you would spend a day on a plane if the ticket was free *and* you got no frequent flyer benefits for the trip). So, the question is: are the frequent flyer benefits worth more than $2100 *plus* a day of your life.

If you can get a mini vacation out of it (as you do), then the question becomes: are the frequent flyer benefits plus a mini vacation worth more than $2100 plus x days of your life. That is a much easier equation to make work than a trip-in-vain.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by J S
I get that, but there is a cost to spending a day on a plane (unless you would spend a day on a plane if the ticket was free *and* you got no frequent flyer benefits for the trip). So, the question is: are the frequent flyer benefits worth more than $2100 *plus* a day of your life.

If you can get a mini vacation out of it (as you do), then the question becomes: are the frequent flyer benefits plus a mini vacation worth more than $2100 plus x days of your life. That is a much easier equation to make work than a trip-in-vain.
I'd do it for a nice restaurant and a couple drinks on the other end, or enroute for that matter.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 2:27 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jeffk1961
I've been XP on American for years and have made good use of Systemwide upgrades on flights to Europe. As we all know, the 4 upgrades I earned last year now expire 7/31/21 and my status has been extended. However, if I qualify under 2020 rules for XP, I will get 4 more with a later expiration. I qualify on miles/segments, but not on spend. I can do a round trip day trip this week (using First-Flexible) to meet my spend requirement of about $2100 more. I guess an added benefit is that the spend/segments/miles would roll over into 2021 requirements and make it easier to achieve XP next year. The question - Is it worth the money when the only real benefit is 4 additional systemwide upgrades? If it were half that amount, it would be a slam dunk, but I'm not so sure here. Would you do it?
Thanks in advance for your replies - I've followed the forums, but this is my first post.
k
Old Dec 16, 2020, 2:29 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
[QUOTE=Dave Noble;32883374]would you actually pay $1050 on a trip to travel business class over economy / 1st over business on a r/t journey if you didn't have the SWUs?
If yes, then is the fare difference far enough over $1050 to make it worth wasting a day taking the flights to spend $2100
If yes, then is the likelihood good that there will be ability to upgrade

If all of these are yes and with the current state of Covid in the USA , you will actually be j to use them, then would seem worth it - if not, then it wouldnt

I personally wouldn't do it[/ughyrbyt see r QUOTE]my

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.