Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Platinum Pro now oneworld Emerald (effective 30 June 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2020, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
AA has announced AAdvantage Platinum Pro members will gain oneworld Emerald status “starting in early 2021”.

Starting in early 2021, Platinum Pro members will also receive oneworld Emerald status with theoneworld Alliance, the world’s fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance. Members will enjoy additional perks such as first class priority check-in, access to first and business class lounges, fast track at select security lanes, higher priority for waitlists and standby, priority boarding and priority baggage handling when they travel on our oneworld partner airlines. — link
Print Wikipost

AA Platinum Pro now oneworld Emerald (effective 30 June 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2020, 9:44 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I'm guessing AS MVP 75K will be OWE and this is an attempt to compete.
JDiver, GUWonder, ACBLtd and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 9:47 am

Programs: AA Exp., AC 75k, A3 Silver, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by hp12c
Is there really any point in trying to qualify for EXP any longer? Spending an additional $5k in EQD in 2021 gets you some pretty minor incremental benefits over PlatPro
You still get the same amount of SWUs. I agree that's not worth an extra $5k, but then I don't think anyone was spending an extra $5k in airfare just for EXP. My plan is basically going to be the same as in previous years - if I get within about $2,000 I'll just book a paid business class ticket at the end of the year for those SWUs.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 9:47 am
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
That is confirmed: https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-1...-Plan-members?
lsquare and Gig103 like this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by jackjennings
You still get the same amount of SWUs. I agree that's not worth an extra $5k, but then I don't think anyone was spending an extra $5k in airfare just for EXP. My plan is basically going to be the same as in previous years - if I get within about $2,000 I'll just book a paid business class ticket at the end of the year for those SWUs.
It would help if the SWUs are easier to use? Seems like Platinum Pro is the sweetspot and arguably better than UA and DL's equivalent.
hp12c likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EP
Their is not a date set for when PPs become emeralds (prob when AS joins ow). So you will have to wait until the 2021online benefits guide is released to see this

i mean it was just announced! Give aa time to update everything.

Originally Posted by Spanish
So, does this mean Platinum Pro now has 3 luggages at 70lbs? What about on domestic F tickets? Honestly, this is my biggest gripe with AA. If I'm checking 2 luggages (i.e. suitcase + golf clubs), I'd much rather check my carry-on and not have to worry about the overhead space game... One of the reasons I chose AA several years ago was the 3 checked luggages in domestic F, then they yanked it away! Terrible policy change.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...am-updates.jsp

This page and the links on it are ambiguous. It doesn't look like they've properly updated everything for Platinum Pro yet.

This page:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...eworldbenefits

listing OneWorld benefits, says Emeralds get 3 bags on American. The question is, does this include domestic AA itineraries for the new Platinum Pro Emeralds? It still lists them as Sapphires...

Excellent news though overall, I hope they make it worth the while. I'm mostly domestic travel at this time when flying AA, so the luggage is a bit of a sticking point.

Anyone else have any updates at this time?
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 9:56 am
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Fair point. However, now after reaching PlatPro, I would be more open to booking another airline if the price is right.

I used to strive for EXP due to free SDC, free mileage reinstatement on award bookings, OWE lounge access, and more domestic upgrades. I always end up burning my SWUs on dumb flights just before they expire. The only thing really left now is the better shot at domestic upgrades (and a couple of the non-SWU choices, which aren't all that compelling in my view).

And lest someone accuse me of being whiny, I'm not complaining as all the changes this year will free me up to book outside of AA/Oneworld on long-haul J tix for a certain portion of my travel.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Fair point. However, now after reaching PlatPro, I would be more open to booking another airline if the price is right.

I used to strive for EXP due to free SDC, free mileage reinstatement on award bookings, OWE lounge access, and more domestic upgrades. I always end up burning my SWUs on dumb flights just before they expire. The only thing really left now is the better shot at domestic upgrades (and a couple of the non-SWU choices, which aren't all that compelling in my view).

And lest someone accuse me of being whiny, I'm not complaining as all the changes this year will free me up to book outside of AA/Oneworld on long-haul J tix for a certain portion of my travel.
I'm surprised AA didn't enhance EXP even more. Platinum Pro is definitely the sweetspot now.
AAExecPlatFlier likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 10:00 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by Gig103
Most likely, but AS for 75K requires 90K miles when flying on AS+Partners, which puts it in line with other top tier EQM for legacy airlines. 75K is only necessary for the domestic/NA solely on AS metal, which makes it difficult in itself, I don't think this was the major driving force for this switch.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 10:03 am
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm surprised AA didn't enhance EXP even more. Platinum Pro is definitely the sweetspot now.
There's still time, I suppose. One thing that would get me to strive for EXP is meaningfully more saver level, non-stop, non-married segment, J/F award space availability for EXP. Or upgrades confirmable at booking.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 10:07 am
Hyatt 5+ Badge

And actually, I just remembered something that may be helpful for EXPs down the road... Oneworld was supposed to unveil alliance-wide upgrade instruments by the end of this year. That would be a meaningful benefit.
lsquare and Spanish like this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 10:13 am

Programs: AA Exp., AC 75k, A3 Silver, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum
And actually, I just remembered something that may be helpful for EXPs down the road... Oneworld was supposed to unveil alliance-wide upgrade instruments by the end of this year. That would be a meaningful benefit.
Wasn't that just going to be upgrades with miles, though? Presumably wouldn't make a difference whether you're EXP or not... unless availability is restricted based on status tier but I doubt it.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 10:22 am
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Wasn't that just going to be upgrades with miles, though? Presumably wouldn't make a difference whether you're EXP or not... unless availability is restricted based on status tier but I doubt it.
I was under the impression that it was going to be with a specific upgrade instrument like a SWU or like Delta's Global Upgrade Certificate or United's GPUs.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 10:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
As a P-Pro who hasn't set foot on AA metal in over a year, and OW partners since Feb, this makes me happy I'll get even greater benefit out of the carried over status in 2021. I'd focused my flying on *A in 2020, and this might bring me back to working on a P-Pro qual for 2022.
bscooter26 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 10:35 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by safari ari
Most likely, but AS for 75K requires 90K miles when flying on AS+Partners, which puts it in line with other top tier EQM for legacy airlines. 75K is only necessary for the domestic/NA solely on AS metal, which makes it difficult in itself, I don't think this was the major driving force for this switch.
As of today, AS MVPG 75K no longer requires 90K miles for partner travel. Just 75K plus 6 segments on AS metal. However, the ability to earn AS elite qualifying miles flying AA is significantly curbed on discounted fares.
JDiver, lsquare and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 11:01 am

Programs: AA PlatPro (LTG), Marriott Titanium (LTG), HH Diamond
Wonder if adding OWE to PPro was in response to Alaska making MVP Gold 75k the OWE level.
JDiver and lsquare like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.