Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Elite choice rewards starts 2021 - new for Executive Platinum and Platinum Pro

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 10, 20, 1:44 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Beginning “early in 2021” AA rolls out changes in their Elite choice if rewards options for Ececutive Platinum and Platinum Pro members.

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates - Elite Status Updates for 2021.“Starting in early 2021, when you qualify for Platinum Pro or Executive Platinum status with the adjusted 2021 requirements, you’ll have the flexibility to choose the rewards that matter most to you.

For our Platinum Pro members, you’ll receive 1 reward choice in addition to the current benefits.

For our Executive Platinum members, systemwide upgrades will now become 1 of many reward choices. You can choose to maintain up to the 4 systemwide upgrades you receive today, or you’ll have the flexibility to select a different reward. All of your other existing Executive Platinum benefits will remain the same.”

When members qualify for Executive Platinum, they can choose from two of the following (two of the same rewards can be selected, except where noted):

- Two (2) Systemwide Upgrades (SWUs)

- 25,000 AAdvantage miles (30,000 for AAdvantage credit card holders holders)

- Carbon emissions offset

- $200 donation to one of ten partner charities

- Gift of Gold status

- $200 AA travel voucher

- Individual Admirals Club membership (requires of two choices)

- 10,000 bonus EQMs (can only be selected once)

- Choice of Bang & Olufsen product

When you qualify for Platinum Pro, you can choose from one of the following:

- One (1) Systemwide Upgrade (SWU)

- 20,000 AAdvantage miles (25,000 miles for AAdvantage credit card holders)

- One-time 15% off award discount

- Carbon emissions offset

- $200 donation to one of ten partner charities

- Six (6) Admirals Club one-day passes

- $200 AA travel voucher

Other changes also mean Platinum Pro elite status becomes oneworld Emerald status. See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ld-future.html.

Summary: Executive Platinum members gain more choices than the four SWUs. They can receive four SWU, or two SWU and another benefit.

Platinum Pro members can now select a choice benefit, including a SWU previously only available to Executive Platinum members).
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 6, 20, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ,united 1k, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist

AA said they would announce the new choices for platinum and EXP over a month ago however no news. Did this scrap this idea?
Old Dec 7, 20, 7:21 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
they did? who knew.. I still have 2 from last year to pick..
Antarius likes this.
Old Dec 7, 20, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fotographer View Post
they did? who knew.. I still have 2 from last year to pick..
sorry I think I mixed up the names I meant the new choices that platinums and EXP are supposed to get instead of SWU.
Old Dec 7, 20, 10:47 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott GLD; Hilton GLD; Free Agent (former AA PLT/US GLD)
The only option I saw to select non-SWU rewards was announced for members who qualified in 2021, was there an additional announcement for 2020?
Old Dec 7, 20, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beltway2A View Post
The only option I saw to select non-SWU rewards was announced for members who qualified in 2021, was there an additional announcement for 2020?
ya I believe that’s the case but they said they would release the options available a month ago making me believe they rethought this idea.
Old Dec 7, 20, 10:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
It's still listed publicly on aa.com, but no updates or further news yet: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...am-updates.jsp

Introducing the flexibility to choose your rewards

Starting in early 2021, when you qualify for Platinum Pro or Executive Platinum status, you’ll have the flexibility to choose the rewards that matter most to you.

For our Platinum Pro members, you’ll be able to enhance your current benefits by choosing from a list of rewards such as a systemwide upgrade, Admirals Club®day passes, AAdvantage® bonus miles and more.

For our Executive Platinum members, systemwide upgrades will now become one of many reward options – you can choose to maintain up to the 4 systemwide upgrades you receive today, or you’ll have the flexibility to select from a list of additional rewards. All of your other existing Executive Platinum benefits will remain the same.

More information will be coming soon.
aztimm, N830MH and JDiver like this.
Old Dec 10, 20, 12:08 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott GLD; Hilton GLD; Free Agent (former AA PLT/US GLD)
united 1k flyer If you're still subscribed to this thread, the options have been unveiled:
Old Dec 10, 20, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

united 1k flyer If you're still subscribed to this thread, the options have been unveiled:
hahhha the irony- thanks man
Old Dec 10, 20, 8:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Jamie Larounis / @theForwardCabin on Twitter:

New for 2021: @AmericanAir introduces an elite choice rewards program for 2021. Platinum Pro and Executive Platinum members will receive a choice of items from a tiered list. Platinum Pro can select 1 systemwide upgrade, while Exec. Plat. can select 4, among several benefits.

essentially, EP can choose whether to receive 4 SWU OR two or no SWU and choose other rewards. PPro now can receive a previously unavailable SWU, or choose another reward.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 10, 20 at 9:22 pm
Old Dec 11, 20, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
As an EXP who was considering being a free agent in 2021 with limited travel the 10,000 EQMs is quite appealing. With the Citi Executive World's 10,000 EQMs this takes the 2021 EQM level to 60,000, which should be easy for me as a low-end EXP traveler to hit.

Am I interpreting this correctly? Thanks.
Old Dec 11, 20, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
So for EXP"s -- "choose 2 SWU's". Is that above and beyond the 4 you get if you requalify?
Old Dec 11, 20, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Bonvoy T; IHG Plat; UA S; Uber Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
So for EXP"s -- "choose 2 SWU's". Is that above and beyond the 4 you get if you requalify?
No - basically instead of just getting 4 SWUs, you now have a choice of other options.
Old Dec 11, 20, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by jackjennings View Post
No - basically instead of just getting 4 SWUs, you now have a choice of other options.
Got it, thanks.

I'm sure those "carbon offsets" will be a big taker...LOL
GrumpyYoungMan and Uzzar like this.
Old Dec 11, 20, 3:34 pm

Once again the Platinum Level is the new Silver!
Old Dec 11, 20, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Bonvoy T; IHG Plat; UA S; Uber Gold
When an EXP reaches the minimums for PPRO, are they going to get that choice reward as well? Or only the EXP ones upon EXP requal?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: