Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Elite choice rewards starts 2021 - new for Executive Platinum and Platinum Pro

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2020, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheDudeAbides
Beginning “early in 2021” AA rolls out changes in their Elite choice if rewards options for Executive Platinum and Platinum Pro members.

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates - Elite Status Updates for 2021.“Starting in early 2021, when you qualify for Platinum Pro or Executive Platinum status with the adjusted 2021 requirements, you’ll have the flexibility to choose the rewards that matter most to you.

For our Platinum Pro members, you’ll receive 1 reward choice in addition to the current benefits.

For our Executive Platinum members, systemwide upgrades will now become 1 of many reward choices. You can choose to maintain up to the 4 systemwide upgrades you receive today, or you’ll have the flexibility to select a different reward. All of your other existing Executive Platinum benefits will remain the same.”

When members qualify for Executive Platinum, they can choose from two of the following (two of the same rewards can be selected, except where noted):

- Two (2) Systemwide Upgrades (SWUs)

- 25,000 AAdvantage miles (30,000 for AAdvantage credit card holders holders)

- Carbon emissions offset

- $200 donation to one of ten partner charities

- Gift of Gold status

- $200 AA travel voucher

- Individual Admirals Club membership (requires of two choices)

- 10,000 bonus EQMs (can only be selected once)

- Choice of Bang & Olufsen product

When you qualify for Platinum Pro, you can choose from one of the following:

- One (1) Systemwide Upgrade (SWU)

- 20,000 AAdvantage miles (25,000 miles for AAdvantage credit card holders)

- One-time 15% off award discount

- Carbon emissions offset

- $200 donation to one of ten partner charities

- Six (6) Admirals Club one-day passes

- $200 AA travel voucher

Other changes also mean Platinum Pro elite status becomes oneworld Emerald status. See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2030114-aa-platinum-pro-become-oneworld-emerald-future.html.

Summary: Executive Platinum members gain more choices than the four SWUs. They can receive four SWU, or two SWU and another benefit.

Platinum Pro members can now select a choice benefit, including a SWU previously only available to Executive Platinum members).

Print Wikipost

Elite choice rewards starts 2021 - new for Executive Platinum and Platinum Pro

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2021, 8:42 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thunderdeacon
It looks like I'm going to be hitting Platinum Pro at the end of October. I'm not really interested in the system wide upgrade, because I'm not going to be flying anywhere except for the United States and Mexico over the next year or so. I have a credit card, so if I chose the miles I would get 25,000 of them. It appears that if I choose the $200, I will get it in the form of a trip credit. This leads me to believe that the money that I use would count towards elite qualifying dollars, and the miles will post like normal. However, I still continue to see websaver mileage redemptions for 7500 and 10000 miles each way. Tickets are relatively cheap. In the end, I don't think it would really matter, but I'm struggling to decide between the $200 and the miles. One other factor is that if I use the $200 towards a ticket, I will be eligible for an upgrade. I wouldn't be eligible for an upgrade using miles.
In terms of pure monetary value, the 25k miles would be worth ~$350 (depending on if you're able to use them at the value given). Obviously the downside is as you stated, not being eligible for an upgrade. Since you're qualifying early in the year (and probably aren't going for EXP, unless you spend heavily in 2 months), I'd say go for the miles and use them to book trips for the rest of the year instead of cash, if you are able to spend the miles at more than 1c each for trips you plan on taking. However, if you personally value the upgrade chances on one or two trips at more than $150 (or whatever the value of those miles minus $200 ends up being), then go for the credit.
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
It looks like I'm going to be hitting Platinum Pro at the end of October. I'm not really interested in the system wide upgrade, because I'm not going to be flying anywhere except for the United States and Mexico over the next year or so. I have a credit card, so if I chose the miles I would get 25,000 of them. It appears that if I choose the $200, I will get it in the form of a trip credit. This leads me to believe that the money that I use would count towards elite qualifying dollars, and the miles will post like normal. However, I still continue to see websaver mileage redemptions for 7500 and 10000 miles each way. Tickets are relatively cheap. In the end, I don't think it would really matter, but I'm struggling to decide between the $200 and the miles. One other factor is that if I use the $200 towards a ticket, I will be eligible for an upgrade. I wouldn't be eligible for an upgrade using miles.
- I have already got to PLT Pro level and got this Elite choice. The best thing of these awards is that you have essentially all next year to decide on your choice. Back in 2019 I got over 200K EQM and I had till the end of 2020 to decide whether to take miles, SWUs, or something else. By the end of Dec it became clear that miles was the best choice as the prospects of using SWUs in 2020 were not that great.
If you have plenty of redeemable miles, I would take $200 travel credit because miles devalue over time and tickets are generally cheap right now while AA redemption is insane. One example is East Coast - Honolulu around Christmas.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 9:28 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
You both make really good points. I could take the miles and cancel one of my trips late in the year and save the money for a ticket for next year. And replace it with the mileage redemption. Because as stated, I'm not going to make it to executive Platinum this year. So any money that I spend above $6,000 isn't doing anything for me other than theoretically placing me higher on the upgrade list.

Not all mileage redemptions are crazy high right now. I had to fly OKC-FWA and back at relatively short notice earlier this month. I booked my ticket three days before departure. The cash price was close to $500, and the award ticket was 7500 miles each way for a total of 15,000 mi. That was a great redemption for me. It was painful sitting in main cabin extra and staring at the empty seats in first class, but considering the deal I got, I got over it.

I wrongly assumed that I would have to make a decision right away. It's good to know that I'll actually have time to decide what reward I want to get. You both make great points. No pun intended.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 5:21 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Alex_I
- I have already got to PLT Pro level and got this Elite choice. The best thing of these awards is that you have essentially all next year to decide on your choice. Back in 2019 I got over 200K EQM and I had till the end of 2020 to decide whether to take miles, SWUs, or something else. By the end of Dec it became clear that miles was the best choice as the prospects of using SWUs in 2020 were not that great.
If you have plenty of redeemable miles, I would take $200 travel credit because miles devalue over time and tickets are generally cheap right now while AA redemption is insane. One example is East Coast - Honolulu around Christmas.
I'm waiting for my EQMs from my CC spend to post which will push me over into PPro for the year. Looks like the choice for me is the $200 credit for 1 SWU. Any other PPros made a decision between these two?
Old Sep 24, 2021, 8:19 am

I think North American upgrades are going to be relatively easy to get for a while. It will be interesting to see if status gets extended. I also have no idea how many people used various spending promotions to retain their status for next year. I wonder if there's going to be a lot of people that drop off the elite lists on January 31st. That leads me to believe that there might be a possibility that upgrades will be easier for a platinum Pro next year. But I have no idea. My suggestion would be to take the system-wide upgrade if you are definitely planning on taking a long haul flight next year. If not, I would just take the credit or the miles. I don't think a system wide upgrade is necessary for flying in North America unless perhaps maybe you plan on using it on flagship service on a transcontinental flight.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 11:07 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
I don't think a system wide upgrade is necessary for flying in North America unless perhaps maybe you plan on using it on flagship service on a transcontinental flight.
Maybe not necessary but the ability to confirm it vs. playing upgrade roulette at the gate is a big plus!
Old Sep 24, 2021, 11:19 am

That is true. I only say that because in my experience, upgrades as a regular Platinum have been pretty good lately. I would think that moving up a level would make them even easier to get. Perhaps there are routes where upgrades are still hard to get, but that hasn't been my experience lately. Also, I have often seen upgrade offers on the app for less than $200. So it's just something to keep in mind. Also, after moving up, one does not need to worry about stickers anymore.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 11:40 am
S80

You both make really good points. I could take the miles and cancel one of my trips late in the year and save the money for a ticket for next year. And replace it with the mileage redemption. Because as stated, I'm not going to make it to executive Platinum this year. So any money that I spend above $6,000 isn't doing anything for me other than theoretically placing me higher on the upgrade list.

Not all mileage redemptions are crazy high right now. I had to fly OKC-FWA and back at relatively short notice earlier this month. I booked my ticket three days before departure. The cash price was close to $500, and the award ticket was 7500 miles each way for a total of 15,000 mi. That was a great redemption for me. It was painful sitting in main cabin extra and staring at the empty seats in first class, but considering the deal I got, I got over it.

I wrongly assumed that I would have to make a decision right away. It's good to know that I'll actually have time to decide what reward I want to get. You both make great points. No pun intended.
Yep, will have until end of December next year (2022) to make your choice. Obviously the benefit of using the miles instead of cash for this year is diminished, but you could be in the same situation next year (or qualify for exp where you will be able to upgrade award tickets).
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I'm waiting for my EQMs from my CC spend to post which will push me over into PPro for the year. Looks like the choice for me is the $200 credit for 1 SWU. Any other PPros made a decision between these two?
If you can spare the extra $200, then go for the SWU, but only if you are planning to travel internationally (as that's where the value of the SWU is greatest, although, as mentioned, not playing upgrade games at the gate is a benefit of using domestically). You'll still have until December 31, 2022 to select, so you don't have to decide now should international travel be on your calendar for next year.
That is true. I only say that because in my experience, upgrades as a regular Platinum have been pretty good lately. I would think that moving up a level would make them even easier to get. Perhaps there are routes where upgrades are still hard to get, but that hasn't been my experience lately. Also, I have often seen upgrade offers on the app for less than $200. So it's just something to keep in mind. Also, after moving up, one does not need to worry about stickers anymore.
It all depends on each individual's travel patterns. The only route I haven't upgraded on regularly is DFW/LAX either way as a high spend EXP (requalified via reduced requirements). It really just depends who else is flying on the exact flight sometimes, as I've also been upgraded at the window for those legs as well.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 12:33 pm

I fly OKC-LAX on OO every month or two, and I am always upgraded at the window. I was always upgraded when I was gold as well. The only problem is that you run out of stickers pretty quickly doing that. When I was low on stickers, I booked a connection through DFW each way but flew on wide bodies to LAX. I enjoyed the premium economy seating on the way there. I received an upgrade offer on the app for $198 on the way back. I enjoyed the lie flat seat on the way back. My guess is that these cheap upgrade offers are one of the reasons why upgrades are hard on some routes. I don't think it's because there are a lot of elites flying on most routes. That's just conjecture, of course.

From OKC, I have been upgraded on almost all flights except for ones going through DFW. I've gotten to where I book away from DFW if I can find a decent way to get somewhere going through a different hub. I am looking forward to not having to worry about stickers for a while. In early November, I will be on one of the new non-stops to LGA during it's first week of service. The route was announced right before Covid hit, and the inauguration of the flight has been pushed back well over a year. I am honestly surprised is actually starting in November. I think it is very likely that I will get upgraded.

Originally Posted by S80
It all depends on each individual's travel patterns. The only route I haven't upgraded on regularly is DFW/LAX either way as a high spend EXP (requalified via reduced requirements). It really just depends who else is flying on the exact flight sometimes, as I've also been upgraded at the window for those legs as well.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 7:50 pm
S80

I fly OKC-LAX on OO every month or two, and I am always upgraded at the window. I was always upgraded when I was gold as well. The only problem is that you run out of stickers pretty quickly doing that. When I was low on stickers, I booked a connection through DFW each way but flew on wide bodies to LAX. I enjoyed the premium economy seating on the way there. I received an upgrade offer on the app for $198 on the way back. I enjoyed the lie flat seat on the way back. My guess is that these cheap upgrade offers are one of the reasons why upgrades are hard on some routes. I don't think it's because there are a lot of elites flying on most routes. That's just conjecture, of course.

From OKC, I have been upgraded on almost all flights except for ones going through DFW. I've gotten to where I book away from DFW if I can find a decent way to get somewhere going through a different hub. I am looking forward to not having to worry about stickers for a while. In early November, I will be on one of the new non-stops to LGA during it's first week of service. The route was announced right before Covid hit, and the inauguration of the flight has been pushed back well over a year. I am honestly surprised is actually starting in November. I think it is very likely that I will get upgraded.
Not to derail the thread off-topic too much, but the times on that route that I wasn't upgraded, I was #1 or 2 of at least 35 for 40 (either narrowbody or widebody). But yep, there's a whole thread here discussing the ToD upgrades. Would be nice to add an elite choice reward for a bunch of stickers or sticker-free companion upgrade passes for those of us who travel with companions, since PPros and EXPs don't earn them from EQMs.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 12:24 pm

After taking a look at things and changing a few of my itenerairies for November and December to award flights, I have decided that I am going to take the 25,000 mi.

I have been booking mainly one way tickets if the fare is the same as half of the round trip in order to increase my flexibility during covid. I took three paid one-way itineraries for November and December and replaced them with award tickets. I got surprisingly great point redemption amounts on the three flights. First, was DEN to OKC. I was able to get a one-way itinerary through DFW for only 6,000 points. This gave me a $100 credit that I can use next year. I then replaced a non-stop flight from LAS to PHX for only 6,000 points as well. I was able to get a $100 credit for canceling the paid ticket on that one. I had a non-Stop PHX-OKC flight, and I replaced it with a connection through DFW. I will be enjoying premium economy on a 787 between PHX and DFW. This only cost 8,000 points, and I got a $170 credit for canceling the paid ticket.

So to recap, I replaced three paid one-way flights with award flights. I received $370 in credit that I can use next year, and I only spent 20,000 miles total. I will effectively get $370 in credit and a net of 5000 miles. In the end, this will be much better than just taking the $200 credit. Most of these flights are relatively short, so I can suck it up and sit in economy. Of course, on the flight from Phoenix to Los angeles, I will be enjoying premium economy. This will also help me get a head start on keeping my status next year.

I kept a couple of paid itineraries for the rest of the year that were longer, relatively cheap, and flights where I was fairly certain I would get an upgrade.

Thanks for everyone's input!
Alex_I and tfizzle like this.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
- I think OP did well by redeeming $20K miles at $0.0185/ mile and got some more $ credit back to use next year. If planes are not full, I do not mind Y especially in main cabin extra for relatively short flights.
thunderdeacon and S80 like this.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 1:59 pm

I agree with you. Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't have used points on these routes because they were so cheap to pay for. I think they're even cheaper now than whenever I originally booked them. I've had a couple of reservations that I've simply had re-ticketed at a lower fare and kept the trip credit. In fact, I did that this morning for a trip to Mexico City that was showing as $100 cheaper than when I originally booked it. I called this morning, had them re-ticket at the lower price, and already have the $100 credit in my wallet.

Because of the unique situation, it worked out better in my favor to use these points this way. And I think that 1.85 cents per mile is a great redemption rate on cheap domestic routes.

Originally Posted by Alex_I
- I think OP did well by redeeming $20K miles at $0.0185/ mile and got some more $ credit back to use next year. If planes are not full, I do not mind Y especially in main cabin extra for relatively short flights.
S80 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I"m torn between the SWU and the $$. I have four SWUs banked until next july 2022. SWU availability seems to be scarce now and doens't look like asia is opening up any time soon (last used them from LAX to HKG two years ago, a great upgrade).

I do think the SWU's are more valuable for overnight flights and that is where i'm leaning.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 2:42 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Instead of EQM, please add EQD for us Canadians as a choice benefit for AA EXP. I'd take one pick over taking all SWU's. Our dollar still so baaaaaad and we have no other EQD options except by flying. No AA CC at all up north ugh

Last edited by SKYEG; Oct 20, 2021 at 8:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.