Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Elite choice rewards starts 2021 - new for Executive Platinum and Platinum Pro

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2020, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheDudeAbides
Beginning “early in 2021” AA rolls out changes in their Elite choice if rewards options for Executive Platinum and Platinum Pro members.

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates - Elite Status Updates for 2021.“Starting in early 2021, when you qualify for Platinum Pro or Executive Platinum status with the adjusted 2021 requirements, you’ll have the flexibility to choose the rewards that matter most to you.

For our Platinum Pro members, you’ll receive 1 reward choice in addition to the current benefits.

For our Executive Platinum members, systemwide upgrades will now become 1 of many reward choices. You can choose to maintain up to the 4 systemwide upgrades you receive today, or you’ll have the flexibility to select a different reward. All of your other existing Executive Platinum benefits will remain the same.”

When members qualify for Executive Platinum, they can choose from two of the following (two of the same rewards can be selected, except where noted):

- Two (2) Systemwide Upgrades (SWUs)

- 25,000 AAdvantage miles (30,000 for AAdvantage credit card holders holders)

- Carbon emissions offset

- $200 donation to one of ten partner charities

- Gift of Gold status

- $200 AA travel voucher

- Individual Admirals Club membership (requires of two choices)

- 10,000 bonus EQMs (can only be selected once)

- Choice of Bang & Olufsen product

When you qualify for Platinum Pro, you can choose from one of the following:

- One (1) Systemwide Upgrade (SWU)

- 20,000 AAdvantage miles (25,000 miles for AAdvantage credit card holders)

- One-time 15% off award discount

- Carbon emissions offset

- $200 donation to one of ten partner charities

- Six (6) Admirals Club one-day passes

- $200 AA travel voucher

Other changes also mean Platinum Pro elite status becomes oneworld Emerald status. See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2030114-aa-platinum-pro-become-oneworld-emerald-future.html.

Summary: Executive Platinum members gain more choices than the four SWUs. They can receive four SWU, or two SWU and another benefit.

Platinum Pro members can now select a choice benefit, including a SWU previously only available to Executive Platinum members).

Print Wikipost

Elite choice rewards starts 2021 - new for Executive Platinum and Platinum Pro

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2021, 6:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
Question: so if I retain EXP status via cc spend, and then after that, I earn PPro status through standard means, will I be eligible for the PPro Elite Choice Rewards?
Old Aug 21, 2021, 1:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Beachfun71
Question: so if I retain EXP status via cc spend, and then after that, I earn PPro status through standard means, will I be eligible for the PPro Elite Choice Rewards?
the answer is yes, however I don’t know if the IT is capable of recognizing that you might have to call. YMMV
Old Sep 12, 2021, 10:25 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Anyone know why the Bang & Olufsen products are grayed out? Was going to select the ear buds but I can't. Guessing it's probably to do with supply shortages but still irritating. Have no use for SWU at this point as the wife and I have still have eight between us expiring next year.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 11:50 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by umaa83
Anyone know why the Bang & Olufsen products are grayed out? Was going to select the ear buds but I can't. Guessing it's probably to do with supply shortages but still irritating. Have no use for SWU at this point as the wife and I have still have eight between us expiring next year.
Because they ran out of them (originally reported by The Points Guy).
Old Sep 12, 2021, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA PPro
So it looks like with my booked travel I will hit Plat Pro this year. I intend to select the SWU, even with international travel so limited in the short term. Anyone care to make a case that one of the other rewards is more valuable?
Old Sep 12, 2021, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HiAperture
So it looks like with my booked travel I will hit Plat Pro this year. I intend to select the SWU, even with international travel so limited in the short term. Anyone care to make a case that one of the other rewards is more valuable?
I cannot make a case for anything other than the SWU.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 1:42 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Value in what sense? The actual variable monetary value of the reward, the opportunity to experience long haul business/first travel, or the good of donating to charity?
I can make an argument that the flight discount / bonus miles are more valuable, but that is only if your travel is paid for by your employer, and you're using the miles to visit family/friends you otherwise wouldn't have the means to financially.
Donations to reputable charities are also good, but for the people they benefit.
I wouldn't say the Admirals Club day passes are a good value, but they could be a good gift to family/friends who don't have a membership for whatever reason (but yearly access is easily attainable by being an AU on the card, etc).
Given the variability of even the value of the miles/swu, it really depends on how you use (or at least attempt to use) the SWU and what you personally value the upgrade price at.
HiAperture likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 1:47 pm
S80

Originally Posted by umaa83
Originally Posted by VFR
Because they ran out of them (originally reported by The Points Guy).
None of those choices are currently greyed out for me, I haven't actually tried to use my reward on any of them though.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by S80
Value in what sense? The actual variable monetary value of the reward, the opportunity to experience long haul business/first travel, or the good of donating to charity?
I can make an argument that the flight discount / bonus miles are more valuable, but that is only if your travel is paid for by your employer, and you're using the miles to visit family/friends you otherwise wouldn't have the means to financially.
Donations to reputable charities are also good, but for the people they benefit.
I wouldn't say the Admirals Club day passes are a good value, but they could be a good gift to family/friends who don't have a membership for whatever reason (but yearly access is easily attainable by being an AU on the card, etc).
Given the variability of even the value of the miles/swu, it really depends on how you use (or at least attempt to use) the SWU and what you personally value the upgrade price at.
Fair thoughts. I just mean that the SWU gives the potential to buy an inexpensive economy ticket to basically anywhere in the world and then fly it as business class as long as you flexible enough to find a flight that has the space. I would take a trip to maximize that benefit alone and with OWE even if I flew back on economy I can access First Class lounges along the way. That is the plan anyway!

On the other hand I know some people end up just giving them away before they expire (likely because their flying earns them more than they can possibly use) so I want to make sure I am not over-assessing the likelihood of making full use of those benefits.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 2:01 pm
S80

Fair thoughts. I just mean that the SWU gives the potential to buy an inexpensive economy ticket to basically anywhere in the world and then fly it as business class as long as you flexible enough to find a flight that has the space. I would take a trip to maximize that benefit alone and with OWE even if I flew back on economy I can access First Class lounges along the way. That is the plan anyway!

On the other hand I know some people end up just giving them away before they expire (likely because their flying earns them more than they can possibly use) so I want to make sure I am not over-assessing the likelihood of making full use of those benefits.
I absolutely agree with you, and in regards to monetary value, they are clearly the highest value item, and if you're able to be flexible (or just want to fly to fly on a particular long haul route/aircraft with the premium service), they're the best choice. Obviously that comes with the caveat of them expiring before being used, so I'd say don't select them (as that sets the expiry date, iirc) until you're ready to attempt to use them.
HiAperture likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by S80
Obviously that comes with the caveat of them expiring before being used, so I'd say don't select them (as that sets the expiry date, iirc) until you're ready to attempt to use them.
Great tip, I didn't know that and that is helpful info!
S80 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 2:06 pm
S80

Great tip, I didn't know that and that is helpful info!
From the T's & C's:
Systemwide upgrades are valid for 1 year from the date of selection; upgrades can be used for travel beyond the expiration date as long as the upgrade is confirmed before the upgrade expires.
Obviously don't let the choice selection expire either, so set a reminder in your calendar (December 30, 2022 for choices earned this year) if you do go that route.
tfizzle and HiAperture like this.

Last edited by S80; Sep 12, 2021 at 2:09 pm Reason: Added date
Old Sep 12, 2021, 6:05 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I’m 100% in on SWUs, for both my regular choices and the above and beyond awards. I value SWUs at slightly more than 25,000 miles and $350 because they are actually more flexible and powerful than a mileage upgrade (you could literally use one to go from Europe to the US, stopover in your hometown and then continue onto Asia sometime later… which would be a value of 50,000 miles and $700 for 1 swu!)

I’ve also committed to traveling as much as I can before I have kids and can’t play the game anymore to be a good dad…unless remote learning really picks up.
HiAperture likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by donotblink
I’m 100% in on SWUs, for both my regular choices and the above and beyond awards. I value SWUs at slightly more than 25,000 miles and $350 because they are actually more flexible and powerful than a mileage upgrade (you could literally use one to go from Europe to the US, stopover in your hometown and then continue onto Asia sometime later… which would be a value of 50,000 miles and $700 for 1 swu!)

I’ve also committed to traveling as much as I can before I have kids and can’t play the game anymore to be a good dad…unless remote learning really picks up.
OT, but forget remote learning and go home/unschooling.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 6:58 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
Platinum Pro decision

It looks like I'm going to be hitting Platinum Pro at the end of October. I'm not really interested in the system wide upgrade, because I'm not going to be flying anywhere except for the United States and Mexico over the next year or so. I have a credit card, so if I chose the miles I would get 25,000 of them. It appears that if I choose the $200, I will get it in the form of a trip credit. This leads me to believe that the money that I use would count towards elite qualifying dollars, and the miles will post like normal. However, I still continue to see websaver mileage redemptions for 7500 and 10000 miles each way. Tickets are relatively cheap. In the end, I don't think it would really matter, but I'm struggling to decide between the $200 and the miles. One other factor is that if I use the $200 towards a ticket, I will be eligible for an upgrade. I wouldn't be eligible for an upgrade using miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.