Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Do Miles Expire for Lifetime Gold or Platinum Members?(yes - 18 months)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2020, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Formerly US CP & AA EXP, now Gold

I'm sure this question has been answered, but I couldn't find it, so here goes. I have 1,950,000 lifetime butt in seat miles, so I am a lifetime Gold. However, I have not flown this year and given my wife's health (who is also lifetime Gold), it is unlikely I will be flying next year. I think I saw on AA's website that miles will not start expiring until June of next year, which got me to wondering if miles of people who have one or another lifetime status are also subject to expiration. I would imagine that they are subject to expiration, but thought I should ask. I searched the AA website as thoroughly as I could, and found no indication one way or the other. What does the Community think or know?

Thanks,

David
Old Dec 1, 2020, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA EP
Not aware of any exceptions for lifetime status holders. While they may extend the expiration dates based on COVID, you have plenty of time to use miles to buy a magazine or use the shopping portal to get some activity which restarts the 18 months. No reason to wait until you are close to expiry and add the stress of timing of your points activity.

My 2 cents, I am sure others will chime in.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The thread for you-->Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / expiration & spend for other than flying
Maybe other ways. Look at the AAdvantage web site for non flying partners
Old Dec 1, 2020, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by davidl
I'I think I saw on AA's website that miles will not start expiring until June of next year, which got me to wondering if miles of people who have one or another lifetime status are also subject to expiration.
All of my family members' accounts show an expiration date of April, exactly 18 months since the last activity. Including this LT PLT.

I've seen no update since:
Back in April, American Airlines released a statement announcing that it would extend AAdvantage mileage expiration through June 30, 2020. We have more good news to report because the airline just confirmed it will suspend AAdvantage miles expiration through the end of the year
For some reason, AwardWallet was telling me December 31, so I just finished my periodic purchase of a $5 Home Depot gift card through the AA store for each family member.
Happy likes this.

Last edited by CPRich; Dec 1, 2020 at 9:55 pm
Old Dec 1, 2020, 10:45 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
I'm sure this question has been answered, but I couldn't find it, so here goes. I have 1,950,000 lifetime butt in seat miles, so I am a lifetime Gold. However, I have not flown this year and given my wife's health (who is also lifetime Gold), it is unlikely I will be flying next year. I think I saw on AA's website that miles will not start expiring until June of next year, which got me to wondering if miles of people who have one or another lifetime status are also subject to expiration. I would imagine that they are subject to expiration, but thought I should ask. I searched the AA website as thoroughly as I could, and found no indication one way or the other. What does the Community think or know?

Thanks,

David
This member of the "Community" thinks it is incredibly easy to extend the life of your miles. Try "aadvantageeshopping.com". A shopping portal, with tons of partners, where you can earn miles buying merchandise / services. EZ.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 11:02 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Register for Holiday Gift for 100 miles and 18 month extension

Don't spend money. Just login to Aadvantage and register for the Holiday Gift Promo. I've been told gift varies, but my gift was 100 miles posted in my account within 24 hours, free, plus 18 month extension.

Jiburi
SPN Lifer and JDiver like this.

Last edited by jiburi; Dec 2, 2020 at 11:13 am
Old Dec 2, 2020, 11:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CPRich
All of my family members' accounts show an expiration date of April, exactly 18 months since the last activity. Including this LT PLT.

For some reason, AwardWallet was telling me December 31, so I just finished my periodic purchase of a $5 Home Depot gift card through the AA store for each family member.
If you have an AwardWallet account with your AAdvantage number in your profile, you receive 5 AAdvantage Miles for leaving a comment.

James
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jiburi
Don't spend money. Just login to Aadvantage and register for the Holiday Gift Promo. I've been told gift varies, but my gift was 100 miles posted in my account within 24 hours, free, plus 18 month extension.
Thank you. Promo valid through 16 December 2020.

I just signed up through the app; got my 100 miles immediately. New expiration 1 June 2022.

Happy holidays!
Old Dec 3, 2020, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Formerly US CP & AA EXP, now Gold
Thanks to all for your help. Looks like it will be easy to keep my miles alive.

Cheers,

David
Old Dec 3, 2020, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Thanks to all for your help. Looks like it will be easy to keep my miles alive.

Cheers,

David
And redeposit of miles for a flight you need to cancel is also free.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight
And redeposit of miles for a flight you need to cancel is also free.
Does this policy is for the Covid relief or it is for indefinite time?

I am wondering about this. In the past when booking an award, the activity of miles deducted from the account is eligible to extend the expiry by 18 months.

Would this still work the same? Because one could do a dummy booking and then wait till the last possible moment to cancel the award, therefore generating 2 activities in the process, with the cancellation being the one that push the expiration the most (18 months from the miles redeposit), when there is no redeposit fee under the current policy.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich

My husband's account also shows Apr 2021 being the expiration date, exactly 18 months from last activity which was an Avis rental.

However AA website has this announcement dd Nov 10 , under Care about you

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...am-updates.jsp

Pausing AAdvantage® mile expiration through June 2021You’ve worked hard to earn your AAdvantage® miles, and we recognize you may need more time than usual to keep them active. We’ve paused the expiration of miles through June 30, 2021. If your miles are scheduled to expire on or before June 30, 2021, they will now expire in July 2021, if there’s no additional activity in your account before then.

We’re working to update member accounts with the new expiration date. Rest assured if your miles expire before we make the adjustment, we will reactivate them.

In any case, thanks for the shopping portal tip. How long it takes for that to post the earned miles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.