Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

First flight sector has vanished from PNR! Advice please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2020, 4:29 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
Original Poster

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)

Without any notification from AA or BA and thanks entirely to you, I checked the first flight that is to take us SOF-LHR-DFW-PSP and it has indeed been cancelled. Indeed the SOF - LHR sector has vanished entirely from the itinerary. The itinerary now reads -LHR-DFW-PSP. I booked all this through AA - and now I would like you all for advice as to what I can or cannot do as I have not had this happen before

1) If I decide to proceed ex LHR as per the itinerary - will this cost me anything?

2) Can I make them reinstate this flight for when there is a direct flight that is still going?

3) Can I get a refund?

4) Can I get the whole itinerary moved to another time when maybe Covid does not rule the world

5) What if there is still no admittance into the USA in early February even if the flight is going - can I cancel?

I realise that the last question should be normally posed elsewhere but I thought that I'd ask anyway.

If this is best asked over at AA I will do but as all the sectors except one are on AA, I'd like to know what you all think as you know a lot about these things

Many Thanks
Old Dec 1, 2020, 4:33 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Without any notification from AA or BA and thanks entirely to you, I checked the first flight that is to take us SOF-LHR-DFW-PSP and it has indeed been cancelled. Indeed the SOF - LHR sector has vanished entirely from the itinerary. The itinerary now reads -LHR-DFW-PSP. I booked all this through AA - and now I would like you all for advice as to what I can or cannot do as I have not had this happen before

1) If I decide to proceed ex LHR as per the itinerary - will this cost me anything?

2) Can I make them reinstate this flight for when there is a direct flight that is still going?

3) Can I get a refund?

4) Can I get the whole itinerary moved to another time when maybe Covid does not rule the world

5) What if there is still no admittance into the USA in early February even if the flight is going - can I cancel?

I realise that the last question should be normally posed elsewhere but I thought that I'd ask anyway.

If this is best asked over at AA I will do but as all the sectors except one are on AA, I'd like to know what you all think as you know a lot about these things

Many Thanks
Where is that hairbrush of yours that we’ve famously heard about as we expect you to teach BA a thing or two about muddling about.

Unfortunately for you BA will only allow you to start in LHR if the change is 300 miles or less. So if there isn’t a flight from Sofia that works for you then they’re entitled to cancel and refund you versus trying to make this itinerary work without repricing from a new origin.
Nephoi likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 4:36 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
You would probably find BA would let you start at LHR if it were a BA issued ticket, they did for me, and I was also able to timeshift an itinerary any time during the ticket validity (1 year). But it being an AA ticket you need to call them.

But they are extremely responsive and helpful. Quick pick up and they can action things quite fast, this is without status or anything like that.
Nephoi likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 4:38 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Also good advice is to sit on cancellations as they give you a lot of flexibility. You should at least be able to get a refund if one leg has been cancelled. So you are in Position A and can wait and see how things pan out.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 4:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

3) Can I get a refund?

A lot of this information is in the Rebook thread and wiki. In fact all of it.

1) Unofficially they may allow this, strictly speaking you should be repriced for an ex London departure.
2) Only if it is covered by the Guidelines, and unless there is something from AA / AY / IB which is useful, I doubt this is going anywhere.
3) Yes.
4) Yes, up to 1 year within ticket issue (not the first flight).
5) Not after rebooking (apart from the FTV option), unless there is another movement: so here is the key message: unless you lose sleep over things like this (and some FTers clearly do) just leave it until you know more. Don't accept the new booking in MMB, or try to change seats etc.

In the shunned thread, my usual comment about "maybe" bookings would go here.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 4:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
When was this itinerary for? I have an ex-SOF itinerary and I’d rather take a refund and travel when things are more ‘normal’. Any large change like yours would definitely take me down the refund route rather the re-book.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I accept my smack on the wrist gracefully! I suppose that I was more concerned about this particular instance.

I am, however, confused as to the meaning of a shunned thread.

Thank you all for coming back so quickly. I am far from keen about taking this trip given the situation in the USA - indeed I would far rather have a refund as matters stand. I am far from fussed about rushing into anything. I will wait and see. It seems rather stupid to me to start doing a lot of booking until one can have some kind of assurance that one will actually depart and I suspect that it will not be until late March until the road is clearer - but did we not all think this back in May when I booked this in the first place.

Again - thanks to all.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BerksFlyer
When was this itinerary for? I have an ex-SOF itinerary and I’d rather take a refund and travel when things are more ‘normal’. Any large change like yours would definitely take me down the refund route rather the re-book.
Early February Love.
BerksFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I assume that you booked through BA so you could also change your origin to IST and fly IST-LHR instead of SOF-LHR.
However, you would need an overnight at IST at your own expense if you're positioning from London.

By the way, waiting as corporate-wage-slave mentioned could be useful as you might actually make the trip if US border rules change and the Presidential Proclamation is removed.
However, if you're seeking a refund, go for it.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 6:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Early February Love.
my trip is February too and I’m assuming it won’t go ahead. I’d personally take a refund but YMMV.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

1) Unofficially they may allow this, strictly speaking you should be repriced for an ex London departure.
2) Only if it is covered by the Guidelines, and unless there is something from AA / AY / IB which is useful, I doubt this is going anywhere.
3) Yes.
4) Yes, up to 1 year within ticket issue (not the first flight).
5) Not after rebooking (apart from the FTV option), unless there is another movement: so here is the key message: unless you lose sleep over things like this (and some FTers clearly do) just leave it until you know more. Don't accept the new booking in MMB, or try to change seats etc.

If a flight is cancelled you are entitled to take a refund for just that flight in the itinerary. So if that is the case it wouldnt be repriced.
corporate-wage-slave and gcuk like this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
Where is that hairbrush of yours that we’ve famously heard about as we expect you to teach BA a thing or two about muddling about.

Unfortunately for you BA will only allow you to start in LHR if the change is 300 miles or less. So if there isn’t a flight from Sofia that works for you then they’re entitled to cancel and refund you versus trying to make this itinerary work without repricing from a new origin.
Hi if the flight is cancelled though you are able to take a refund of just the cancelled sector. The 300 miles rule only applies if you wish to rebook to an alternative airport.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 6:58 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Originally Posted by BerksFlyer
my trip is February too and I’m assuming it won’t go ahead. I’d personally take a refund but YMMV.
I've had a Feb cancellation too - posted in the TP Run thread too as a bit of a heads up for the ex-SOF crowd https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32854798-post6087.html
Old Dec 1, 2020, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC
Early February Love.
If you go I may see you there. Not been to the desert since March and miss it greatly.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Thank you all - I think that I will go the refund route - but I will hold on for now - there is simply no rush. Frankly I do not want to go to the USA until things improve greatly. Each and every state seems to be doing something different and quite honestly the last thing that I would want to do is fall ill over there, I carry huge insurance but that would be invalidated if I traveled against FO advice. This is purely leisure and it can wait - but we will see what happens none the less.
BerksFlyer and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.