Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Baggage fee on mixed class itinerary with an overnight stay

Old Nov 30, 2020, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold

Hello,

I booked an award ticket through AS but on AA metal. It's a mixed class trip with the first leg in domestic first, and the second leg in economy. I'm flying between the West Coast and the Caribbean, and need to overnight at DFW on the way. I will be checking two bags. If this was all a same-day routing, I assume that I wouldn't be charged baggage fees due to the 1st leg being in First class. Any idea if I will get charged when I check in my bags for the second leg that is in economy on the following day?

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 30, 2020, 4:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you look at your ticket receipt, it will have detailed the baggage allowance for the journey

Whatever is written there will be the clear guidance on exactly what you are entitled to
Old Dec 1, 2020, 1:59 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If you look at your ticket receipt, it will have detailed the baggage allowance for the journey

Whatever is written there will be the clear guidance on exactly what you are entitled to
The OP's ticket is an AS award booked on 027 ticket stock. The AS receipt simply states that American Airlines baggage rules and fees apply to the itinerary.

OP, how long is your DFW layover? Is it possible to check your bags to the final destination and pack a few essentials in your carry-on for your overnight layover?

James

EDIT: From the AA Twitter Team.

If you're on an international flight and departing again within 24 hours, there wouldn't be another charge to check your bags.

It looks like you are good to go.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Dec 1, 2020 at 2:11 am
Old Dec 1, 2020, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I was under the impression that DOT rules requires that the allowance and cost for extra luggage be included on ticket receipr , not just whose allowance applies
Old Dec 1, 2020, 12:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I was under the impression that DOT rules requires that the allowance and cost for extra luggage be included on ticket receipr , not just whose allowance applies
I can't say for sure but do have an AS award booked on AA metal, all J, PVR-PHX/stopover/PHX-YVR for 27.5K MP Miles. I checked my AS receipt, it says that AA baggage rules & fees apply with link to AA.

James
Old Dec 2, 2020, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
The OP's ticket is an AS award booked on 027 ticket stock. The AS receipt simply states that American Airlines baggage rules and fees apply to the itinerary.

OP, how long is your DFW layover? Is it possible to check your bags to the final destination and pack a few essentials in your carry-on for your overnight layover?

James

EDIT: From the AA Twitter Team.

If you're on an international flight and departing again within 24 hours, there wouldn't be another charge to check your bags.

It looks like you are good to go.
Thanks. The overnight layover is around 15 hours, so I'm not sure they would check it through. And since it's to a Caribbean destination, I wasn't sure whether domestic or international baggage rules would apply. My ticket from AS doesn't say and it's not clearly spelled out on AA's website, thus the question.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 5:22 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
is the stay is less than 24 hours you should be able to check it through.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 6:08 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by flying_geek
is the stay is less than 24 hours you should be able to check it through.
No, AA does not check luggage through for connections over 12 hours.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Andriyko
No, AA does not check luggage through for connections over 12 hours.
I stand (or sit) corrected.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.