Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Is AA giving a credit if they change schedule & you want a new flight that's cheaper?

Is AA giving a credit if they change schedule & you want a new flight that's cheaper?

Old Nov 28, 20, 8:48 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 163
Is AA giving a credit if they change schedule & you want a new flight that's cheaper?

AA sent me notice of a schedule change in January. The flights on the outbound are later than my original & are unacceptable to me. If I change to an earlier flight instead, the current cost is $400 less than I paid. Will AA give me a $400 credit if I call & ask to be changed to the cheaper earlier flights?
BobOscar is offline  
Old Nov 28, 20, 8:59 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: ORD, SZX, HKG
Programs: AA EXP, CX GR, AS MVP GLD
Posts: 564
Yes, you get some sort of a voucher if you exchange for a cheaper ticket. Without the current wavier, I don't even think there has to be a schedule change (like Southwest style)

You might have to ask for it, otherwise, it could be an automatic even exchange.
shd9 is offline  
Old Nov 28, 20, 9:07 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: PHL
Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 2,283
And be aware, the credit email may take overnight to arrive. Mine came the next day.
apeortdz is offline  
Old Nov 28, 20, 5:52 pm
  #4  
Used to be 'Travelergcp'
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Orleans
Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 2,351
Sort of. Not because of the schedule change itself, but you are always free to cancel and rebook when it suits you, less the change fee which is zero right now.
TravelerMSY is offline  
Old Nov 28, 20, 6:06 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 13,017
Originally Posted by BobOscar View Post
Will AA give me a $400 credit if I call & ask to be changed to the cheaper earlier flights?
I will have to say no just to be on the safe side. In this case, if the fare has been cheaper, the schedule change is a reason for full refund per se.

I would cancel the ticket, get the refund, and book it as a new ticket.

(Note - I would say you should not book the new ticket unless you have submitted the refund request.)
s777bg likes this.
garykung is offline  
Old Nov 28, 20, 8:04 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Total Wine & More Reserve
Posts: 1,741
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
I will have to say no just to be on the safe side. In this case, if the fare has been cheaper, the schedule change is a reason for full refund per se.

I would cancel the ticket, get the refund, and book it as a new ticket.

(Note - I would say you should not book the new ticket unless you have submitted the refund request.)
OP didn't specify if the schedule change was significant enough to warrant a refund.

If it is, then agreed they would be well advised to take the refund & book a new ticket.

But if not, then next best option is to cancel & use the ticket value on the new cheaper ticket, leaving $400 to use on future AA flights.
econ is online now  
Old Nov 28, 20, 9:13 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: SFO
Programs: Many
Posts: 116
Originally Posted by BobOscar View Post
AA sent me notice of a schedule change in January. The flights on the outbound are later than my original & are unacceptable to me. If I change to an earlier flight instead, the current cost is $400 less than I paid. Will AA give me a $400 credit if I call & ask to be changed to the cheaper earlier flights?
You will get a refund of the difference between the new ticket and your original ticket. It's the same principle followed when you pay the difference between your current ticket and new reservation.
dsftm is offline  
Old Nov 29, 20, 6:53 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: New York City
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,008
Easy - just refund the sked change ticket fully then buy whatever you want.
mizzou miles is offline  
Old Nov 29, 20, 7:40 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Key West
Programs: DL Plat, AA Gold
Posts: 308
I made a voluntary change to a different flight on the same day and got a surprisingly substantial credit.
cayohueso is offline  
Old Nov 30, 20, 8:14 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 163
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY View Post
Sort of. Not because of the schedule change itself, but you are always free to cancel and rebook when it suits you, less the change fee which is zero right now.
Well, I finally got around to doing it, and the phone agent told me that I had booked my ticket (early March 2020 before COVID really hit) before they were giving the waiver, so I had to pay the $200 change fee to get back $89 (would have gotten $289 back otherwise).
I probably should have told her to skip it but I went ahead with the $89 credit. My flight is to Vegas in late January. If Vegas gets shut down again, I lose the $200, plus maybe another $200 change fee. If I had not taken the credit of $89, I would have had a $1039 ticket to get a credit on (maybe or maybe not a $200 change fee taken out of it). I guess I rolled the dice on this one. Oh well.
BobOscar is offline  
Old Nov 30, 20, 8:16 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 163
Originally Posted by mizzou miles View Post
Easy - just refund the sked change ticket fully then buy whatever you want.
Schedule change was just under an hour so they wouldn't have let me refund the ticket on that basis. I had to jump through hoops with AA a month or two ago to get a refund on an itinerary that had changed FOUR HOURS. Geez.
BobOscar is offline  
Old Nov 30, 20, 11:21 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 10,177
Originally Posted by BobOscar View Post
Well, I finally got around to doing it, and the phone agent told me that I had booked my ticket (early March 2020 before COVID really hit) before they were giving the waiver, so I had to pay the $200 change fee to get back $89 (would have gotten $289 back otherwise).
I probably should have told her to skip it but I went ahead with the $89 credit. My flight is to Vegas in late January. If Vegas gets shut down again, I lose the $200, plus maybe another $200 change fee. If I had not taken the credit of $89, I would have had a $1039 ticket to get a credit on (maybe or maybe not a $200 change fee taken out of it). I guess I rolled the dice on this one. Oh well.
That's strange. AA's website clearly states that change fees only apply if the original travel data was before March 1, 2020. It seems to me that the agent didn't apply the rules correctly. Based on your post, the ticket was booked after March 1st and the travel date was after March 1st. If so, you should not have been charged the change fee.
mvoight likes this.
formeraa is offline  
Old Nov 30, 20, 11:32 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Miami Beach, FL
Programs: AA EXP 3MM, BA Gold
Posts: 873
On my recent flights to Hawaii, I booked months in advance and watched fares drop several times. I just went online, selected "Change Flights", selected the same flights I already had (which indicated a credit due), and received the ticket reissue and credit notice within a few hours. I did this multiple times, no issues at all.
Geordie405 likes this.
jAAck is offline  
Old Dec 1, 20, 11:21 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Coast
Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Posts: 10,460
Originally Posted by formeraa View Post
That's strange. AA's website clearly states that change fees only apply if the original travel data was before March 1, 2020. It seems to me that the agent didn't apply the rules correctly. Based on your post, the ticket was booked after March 1st and the travel date was after March 1st. If so, you should not have been charged the change fee.
Strange indeed but then again AA's call center is beyond inconsistent
fly747first is offline  
Old Dec 1, 20, 3:09 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Posts: 20,577
Last night I found out you cannot use a main line flight credit for a Basic Economy ticket
Oddly, I booked a class B roundtrip from DFW-MIA. Within 24 hours I called to cancel one leg
I was refund for one leg. This apparently caused the other part of the ticket to switch to main cabin.
So, I noticed the fare had dropped from $6 each, so I canceled it to rebook. The automated option would not accept the ticket numbers.
So I called AA and was told it would not work because I was trying to apply a main cabin credit to a B class flight.
I found that a bit odd. The TA said this changed in October.
mvoight is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: