Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Black Friday Deal (flight promo code - end 1 Dec 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Black Friday Deal (flight promo code - end 1 Dec 2020)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2020, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by smartytravel
No. The flight needs to be done by March, as per terms and conditions. Summer flights does not seem to qualify for a percentage off.
Right, one needs to complete two trips my May 31, 2021 for this promotion to be of any value:

-- The first trip needs to be booked by December 1, 2020 and travel completed my March 31, 2021 to be eligible to receive the discount

-- The second trip, booked using the discount, must be booked between January 1 and March 31, 2021 and travel completed by May 31, 2021
Old Nov 27, 2020, 12:04 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by aztimm
Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, travel for next summer won't work:
Originally Posted by smartytravel
No. The flight needs to be done by March, as per terms and conditions. Summer flights does not seem to qualify for a percentage off.
Darn! I missed that part of the terms and conditions!
Old Nov 28, 2020, 1:18 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Well, I used this promotion, so thank you all for your input! Cancelled my 6 am flight today, which I'll use the credit in the future for, and am now on a 540 dollar "first class" flight at 6 pm instead. I put first class because it seems the fare code is R, aka, business, and all it really results in is a bigger seat, I am skinny so I personally find the lie-flat concept a way better benefit than some width and legroom, some cheese, and champagne if I am lucky, otherwise, white wine or Jack Daniels? The reasons to do this though were still fairly good though, so I pulled the trigger.

Original one way, 211. New price, 540.
Financial Benefits:
  • More direct flight, though I was legitimately looking forward to taking photos of DC during my 8 hour layover
  • 6 pm instead of 6 am
  • Saving $30 on a checked bag fee
  • $79 promotional credit coming my way for an early 2021 flight
  • Earning MQM/MQD for 2022 already
  • This will take me very close to hitting my status match which I moronically self imposed a December 16th expiration date by activating at a bad time earlier this year
  • The MQMs will also get me close to 12,500 so when I hit the gold I'll get the 4 500-mile credits

Worth it! Happier than my griping about the lack of benefits for first class above would make me appear
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Well, I used this promotion, so thank you all for your input! Cancelled my 6 am flight today, which I'll use the credit in the future for, and am now on a 540 dollar "first class" flight at 6 pm instead. I put first class because it seems the fare code is R, aka, business, and all it really results in is a bigger seat, I am skinny so I personally find the lie-flat concept a way better benefit than some width and legroom, some cheese, and champagne if I am lucky, otherwise, white wine or Jack Daniels? The reasons to do this though were still fairly good though, so I pulled the trigger.

Original one way, 211. New price, 540.
Financial Benefits:
  • More direct flight, though I was legitimately looking forward to taking photos of DC during my 8 hour layover
  • 6 pm instead of 6 am
  • Saving $30 on a checked bag fee
  • $79 promotional credit coming my way for an early 2021 flight
  • Earning MQM/MQD for 2022 already
  • This will take me very close to hitting my status match which I moronically self imposed a December 16th expiration date by activating at a bad time earlier this year
  • The MQMs will also get me close to 12,500 so when I hit the gold I'll get the 4 500-mile credits

Worth it! Happier than my griping about the lack of benefits for first class above would make me appear
Just so you know it’s not a promotional credit for a future flight based off the percentage of what you just bought, it’s a percentage off whatever the fare of the new flight is.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 2:20 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Ugh, thanks, welp... that sucks. Oh well. I am usually pretty good at reading Terms but somehow I never considered your version to be the correct case but that makes sense now...doh!
Old Nov 28, 2020, 6:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Booked a flight to MEX last night. Now to wait 14-21 days for my promo code, which I will probably use to go somewhere else very soon!
Old Nov 28, 2020, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by dogcanyon
By the time I finally finish reading all the Terms and Conditions, it'll be after Dec 1.
With all these T&Cs, it is basically useless...
Old Nov 29, 2020, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I booked a $62.10 one-way US domestic ticket for January 2021 and hope to get the 10% discount coupon soon.
If I can't make use of it on a sensible itinerary, I'll use it on a mileage run ticket and report back my experience.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 12:48 pm

For the first ticket (travel by March), if I use a flight credit for part of the cost, do I earn a discount code based on the remaining amount paid in cash? It says flight credits can't be used on the second ticket (where the discount code is used), but it doesn't seem to say that for the first ticket.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 5:51 am

Has anyone actually received confirmation of their discount code yet?

The items in the terms state:

"American Airlines will provide a notification that indicates the discount percentage received based on the total amount purchased, excluding gift card purchases, fees, taxes, and discounts.
- AND -
"Promotional discounts will be awarded 14-21 days after purchase is completed, and a unique promotional discount code will be sent to the email provided with the reservation."
These two items combined makes me think I should have received a confirmation right away, and then the actual discount code 14 to 21 days later, but Have not received anything yet.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP.
Originally Posted by RememberTheConcord

- AND -

These two items combined makes me think I should have received a confirmation right away, and then the actual discount code 14 to 21 days later, but Have not received anything yet.
same here I bought like 3 tickets that qualify
Old Dec 12, 2020, 5:33 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by RememberTheConcord

- AND -

Yeah... I booked a last minute flight on the 30th, which was a quick turn JFK-LAX-JFK. No notification of qualification though my fare was in the $400 band. I expect I will receive nothing but a headache when AA doesn't follow through on the promotion code either.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Haven't received any confirmation or discount code either despite booking and taking a qualified trip.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by uxb
I expect I will receive nothing but a headache when AA doesn't follow through on the promotion code either.
I am not aware of AA ever not having honored a promotion.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
The T&C mention that the promo codes would be sent within 14-21 days after the purchase of the ticket. The promo was introduced on 27 November 2020 and 21 days after that date is 18 December 2020.

Also, the bookings made with the promo code should be made between 1 January 2021 & 31 March 2021 so getting the code ASAP would not change anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.