Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

APFA President claims credit for AA drop of Coach beverage service (until 2021)

APFA President claims credit for AA drop of Coach beverage service (until 2021)

Old Nov 26, 20, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Coach Passengers Donít Get Drinks Because Of AA Flight Attendants Union

I really do hope that drinks come back to Y passengers at some point.

The President of the American Airlines flight attendants union Julie Hedrick sent a note to cabin crew members where she takes credit for preventing their airline from offering full beverage service in economy.
APFA has been successful in pushing off the return of a main cabin beverage service into 2021. With COVID-19 cases on the rise, the last thing we need is increased opportunity for passengers to remove their facial coverings on the aircraft. The battle for a safe environment on board is already challenging. We have kept this airline flying, and the care and treatment of the front-line employees should be this Companyís number one concern.
LovePrunes likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 1, 20 at 12:41 pm Reason: Retain original post title
Old Nov 27, 20, 1:05 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott, Hilton Diamond, National
"To be clear, American has a demand problem, not a labor cost problem, and we will not entertain discussions on concessions."
Well, making flying less pleasant on your airline isn't really going to help to increase demand.
Old Nov 27, 20, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
This is a ridiculously misleading thread title IMHO. Coach passengers don't get drinks because of the coronavirus and a union looking to protect its members. I get the cynicism when a union takes any action that might be deemed anti-consumer, but it seems pretty reasonable to me for the FA union to want to maximize the amount of time passengers are wearing masks and minimize the interaction with passengers. As passengers, we need to get used to the inconvenience of traveling during a pandemic, and that may mean taking an extra five minutes before boarding a flight to grab a sandwich and a drink to bring along on the flight.
Old Nov 27, 20, 8:16 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Agree with Blumie. It's all about a safety concern and not about an "union infringement" of your "right" not to wear a mask and infect other people. I do think there can be a reasonable standard based upon flight duration and the current infection rate.

"Fake news" as the future former president likes to say.
Old Nov 27, 20, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
This is a ridiculously misleading thread title IMHO. Coach passengers don't get drinks because of the coronavirus and a union looking to protect its members. I get the cynicism when a union takes any action that might be deemed anti-consumer, but it seems pretty reasonable to me for the FA union to want to maximize the amount of time passengers are wearing masks and minimize the interaction with passengers. As passengers, we need to get used to the inconvenience of traveling during a pandemic, and that may mean taking an extra five minutes before boarding a flight to grab a sandwich and a drink to bring along on the flight.
If the purpose of not serving drinks on board is to reduce the amount of mask-free time, and passengers do as you say and bring a sandwich and a drink, won't they still be removing their masks for roughly the same amount of time?

If they want to reduce FA time near passengers, how about just passing out small plastic bottles of chilled water/coke/sprite? Oh, that's probably not in the contract so we can't do that either.

Sometimes its impossible to pick up a drink/sandwich at a tight connection. I've especially welcomed a PDB in those situations -- particularly following an all-out sprint through the airport.
Spiff, chrisny2, hurnik and 13 others like this.
Old Nov 27, 20, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Does this really surprise anyone at all?

APFA has always pushed for their members to be allowed to do the bare minimum of inflight service in any cabin. Does anyone remember the uproar when they were asked to do turndown service in intercontinental first class?
MIAFlyer, GaryZ, texdoc and 9 others like this.
Old Nov 27, 20, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
Does this really surprise anyone at all?

APFA has always pushed for their members to be allowed to do the bare minimum of inflight service in any cabin. Does anyone remember the uproar when they were asked to do turndown service in intercontinental first class?
As I said, I understand the cynicism. But that doesnít make everything they do unreasonable.
Old Nov 27, 20, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by bitterproffit View Post
Nice way to slam teachers because you canít last 45 minutes without a sippy cup.
Originally Posted by tkelvin69 View Post
Apparently you donít read either. 😉
IBTL!
It's reasonable for FAs to wish to minimize contact as much as they can. They spend all day on the plane, not just a couple of hours. I think essential service only is what you should expect during the pandemic.
And slagging schoolteachers, even gratuitously as was done here, is just plain ignorant scapegoating, Unless you've done that job yourself, you haven't got a clue.
Old Nov 27, 20, 3:54 pm

Wink beverages

But, but, but, don't you all fly premium cabin only?
PUCCI GALORE, TWA884 and Uzzar like this.
Old Nov 27, 20, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skylady View Post
What starts in the Y cabin, gradually makes its way up to the premium cabin(s).
MIAFlyer and freeagent like this.
Old Nov 27, 20, 5:57 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
I would not expect nor suggest any service increases until we get through what i anticipate being a very rough winter. If I were in charge, I would make sure all the regionals get on board with proactive F service and expand the flights that get a bottle of water and snack in Y while boarding to any mainline or regional flight over 500 miles. Its not going to happen, but it seems reasonable and fair to me based on the state of our world right now.
aamilesslave likes this.
Old Nov 27, 20, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by skylady View Post
​​​​

Yes. And they already try to do the bare minimum there. How many times have you boarded and there is nobody even there to greet because they're at the back yacking it up? For me, it has been more often than not. How many times have you flown and the FA magically disappears shortly after the initial climb? For me, it has been more often than not. How many times have you flown and beverages haven't been properly stocked? For me, it has been more often than not.

This crap has to stop.
Old Nov 28, 20, 2:06 am
was FlyEndeavourAir

Programs: Non-Rev, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Global Entry
AA has some of the best FA's in the business but APFA is the absolute worst FA union out there. They crave being lazy and offering substandard products while wanting the most from AA. I've only flown F on AA since the pandemic started and besides one short Republic flight I have always received my beverage of choice with a smile.

That being said, the coach product (or lack thereof) at the moment is pure laziness, especially considering G4, SY, F9, NK are doing their normal BOB service, JetBlue and United come around with carts with limited non alcoholic beverages, WN comes around with water & snack mix, and DL comes around with a snack bag. (Not sure what AS does but I believe it's one of the above).

AA on the other-hand MIGHT hand you a bag of snacks on longer flights but even that is dependent.
GaryZ, cmd320 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Nov 29, 20, 8:24 am

Programs: AA EXP; A3 Gold; Marriott LTT Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
FA claims no beverage service in First class

Yesterday AA1114 ORD DFW in First. Paid D fare but thats purely to highlight that we paid the fare and expected service.

Male purser tells every passengers in First who dared to ask for a drink that the policy is no drinks at all on the flight. Many passengers argued with him thats not the policy. He finally tells some passengers its "one time and done" and covertly hands them their one drink. This is all happening on the left hand aisle on this 787 while on the right hand aisle where my spouse is sitting the drinks are free flowing from female FAs. Many passengers asked for another drink and were refused. That male purser was extremely rude to every single passenger including a little girl around 8 years old who asked for a coke and was traveling with a large family. Just shocking behavior.

We wrote separate complaints to AA and urged other passengers around us who were disgusted by this experience to do the same. I doubt they did but the response I got from AA did not address the concern at all and they just threw 5000 miles at me that i dont really care about. The response was about my "disappointment with the new inflight service procedures and lack of drinks in coach" when this whole drama was unfolding in First. Clearly noone actually reads our complaints and that FA will never be reprimanded or retrained. This is all thanks to the FA union and their protections over these insane FAs that shouldnt be in customer service in any business.
AAway and iskingolf like this.
Old Nov 29, 20, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by asnovici View Post
Yesterday AA1114 ORD DFW in First. Paid D fare but thats purely to highlight that we paid the fare and expected service.

Male purser tells every passengers in First who dared to ask for a drink that the policy is no drinks at all on the flight. Many passengers argued with him thats not the policy. he finally tells some its "one time and done" and covertly hands them their one drink. This is all happening on the left hand aisle on this 787 while on the right hand aisle where my spouse is sitting the drinks are free flowing from female FAs. That male purser was extremely rude to every single passenger including a little girl around 8 years old who asked for a coke and was traveling. with a large family. Just shocking behavior.

We wrote separate complaints to AA and urged other passengers around us who were disgusted by this experience to do the same. I doubt they did but the response I got from AA did not address the concern at all and they just threw 5000 miles at me that i dont really care about. The response was about my "disappointment with the new inflight service procedures and lack of drinks in coach" when this whole drama was unfolding in First. Clearly noone actually reads our complaints and that FA will never be reprimanded or retrained. This is all thanks to the FA union and their protections over these insane FAs that shouldnt be in customer service in any business.
Yes, this is a blatant disregard for the actual policy which in this instance should have been (unlimited) drinks on request. Hopefully you got the actual name of the FA and reported that to AA.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: