Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

APFA President claims credit for AA drop of Coach beverage service (until 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

APFA President claims credit for AA drop of Coach beverage service (until 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
What customer experience on Delta is this you speak of?

AA is leading the pack at the moment as far as F&B.

Delta is at the bottom soon to be passed by the big yellow bird.
As long as we're in the middle of the deadliest pandemic in 100 years, I couldn't care less about airplane food.

DL wins for us right now (and maybe in the near future too) because it's otherwise a superior travel experience in every way. We love that they've committed to blocking seats through March. Board a DL A220 someday and ask yourself what Dougie would think. He'd be mortified at the 18+ inch seats with greater than 29 inches of pitch. Not to mention the PTVs which AA thinks no one uses!
TWA884 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 3:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by no1cub17
As long as we're in the middle of the deadliest pandemic in 100 years, I couldn't care less about airplane food.

DL wins for us right now (and maybe in the near future too) because it's otherwise a superior travel experience in every way. We love that they've committed to blocking seats through March. Board a DL A220 someday and ask yourself what Dougie would think. He'd be mortified at the 18+ inch seats with greater than 29 inches of pitch. Not to mention the PTVs which AA thinks no one uses!
UGH - I wan't to jump ship to DL, but based out of ORD, every destination would be via ATL, and there are a number of routes out of MDW which has zero lounge (DL or Priority Pass).
Old Dec 1, 2020, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat

To each his own. I couldn't care less about blocked seats (gimmick) or PTVs, which I don't use.

I suppose my liver would prefer I go to DL, at least for now...
enviroian, jcatman and cmd320 like this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Empty middle seats is a gimmick?!
The lack of shoulder space is my SINGLE BIGGEST issue with flying coach in general, pandemic or not. So hell yeah, I'll fly the airline that won't make me sit next to a stranger. And won't fill their planes to the max (statistically decreasing the likelihood of an infected passenger on board). Gimmick??
chrisny2 and no1cub17 like this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ijgordon
The lack of shoulder space is my SINGLE BIGGEST issue with flying coach in general, pandemic or not. So hell yeah, I'll fly the airline that won't make me sit next to a stranger. And won't fill their planes to the max (statistically decreasing the likelihood of an infected passenger on board). Gimmick??
I have a far higher UG percentage than my friends who are equivalent status and flying on DL. Far far higher.

The advantage program, for all it's faults actually makes up for a lot of shortcomings that AA has.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cmd320
Yes, I’m sure AA management sat there and lobbied for their cabin service staff to be less productive.
What's that phrase? You either coach it or tolerate it.

Alan Joyce has shown that it's possible to make it happen. You just have to really want to do so. AA leadership doesn't seem that interested and therefore the stalemate continues.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 9:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Yes gimmick. Delta is not ensuring the middle seats are empty, they are ensuring flights aren't filled up over a certain percentage, so on the planes like the CRJ or E175's or the A330 or 767 you can still have a stranger sitting next to you. Also you still would have someone sitting directly behind and in front of you, it doesn't make a difference. If it scares you so much you shouldn't be flying right now.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 4:27 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir
Yes gimmick. Delta is not ensuring the middle seats are empty, they are ensuring flights aren't filled up over a certain percentage, so on the planes like the CRJ or E175's or the A330 or 767 you can still have a stranger sitting next to you. Also you still would have someone sitting directly behind and in front of you, it doesn't make a difference. If it scares you so much you shouldn't be flying right now.
Put it better than I could.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan
To each his own. I couldn't care less about blocked seats (gimmick) or PTVs, which I don't use.

I suppose my liver would prefer I go to DL, at least for now...
Blocked seats is a gimmick? Is that a joke? You do know how COVID-19 is spread right? Let me guess - masks and social distancing guidelines are also a gimmick? This kind of attitude is exactly why the US has been so badly hit compared to other countries. While it's true that you could still end up next to a stranger (especially on RJs), they make it very clear at the time of booking. We hadn't planned on traveling at all at least until getting vaccinated (which fortunately we should be in line to receive the vaccine this month), but family issues forced us to travel earlier than we'd liked, so DL was the safest choice. And while it's true that you can't truly distance on planes anyway because of the rows ahead and behind you, the fewer people you're exposed to, the less likelihood you'll contract COVID-19. It's not that complicated. And clearly people are willing to pay higher fares to fly DL, or they wouldn't have extended the policy.
Gerbs and TWA884 like this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
You do know how COVID-19 is spread right?
Yes. Not on planes.
enviroian likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by AAdamE
UGH - I wan't to jump ship to DL, but based out of ORD, every destination would be via ATL, and there are a number of routes out of MDW which has zero lounge (DL or Priority Pass).
Similar boat - AA is by far the biggest legacy carrier at our home airport (OKC) so that's kept us loyal. Fortunately we fly mostly for leisure and not because we're weekly road warriors so it would be more doable for us to jump ship potentially. But no OKC-LAX or OKC-SEA nonstops on DL really puts a damper on their appeal. Will just have to see how this next year goes I guess!
Old Dec 2, 2020, 8:31 am

Yes. Not on planes.
Oh ok so someone that has COVID-19 and boards a plane - magically no longer has COVID-19? Got it!
Old Dec 2, 2020, 8:36 am

Programs: Costco Club
Yes. Not on planes.
But what about at TSA, boarding gate, restaurants, lounges, shuttles, check in counter.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Oh ok so someone that has COVID-19 and boards a plane - magically no longer has COVID-19? Got it!
They may still have it, but it's not easily spread based on all the data. With everyone masked and high-efficiency air circulation and filtration systems, the plane is one of your safest spots to be throughout the trip.

Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
But what about at TSA, boarding gate, restaurants, lounges, shuttles, check in counter.
That's a totally different story, but doesn't have anything to do with whether seats are or aren't blocked on board the aircraft. Hence why I don't really feel in any more danger on board AA than I do on DL.
chrisny2 and robertablake like this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Yes. Not on planes.
At least you are consistent. Consistently wrong that is ...
no1cub17 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.