Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (2020+)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2020, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat

Made EXP last week, although I had six months of no flying. 100 percent domestic/CONUS, 84 segments so far for 2020, with another 26 scheduled through 23 December 2020.

Nine continual years of EXP. As Jimmy Buffet would say " some of it has been magic, some of it tragic- but it has been a good ride along the way".

Last edited by Microwave; Apr 5, 2023 at 2:40 am
Old Nov 20, 2020, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
I've still got a couple of trips booked that will get me over the original requirements before the covid rollback....I didn't fly during March, April and May. All of this is domestic flying. I had 2 international trip I cancelled

This will be my 2nd year as an EXP. I came over from "another" airline...Although I was USAir Chairman for many years before I jumped ship when American bought them...

Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 5:05 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum / Hilton Diamond / MGM Gold

I just hit Executive Platinum yesterday morning. This is the first time for me.
If anyone cares to share some tricks to maximizing the perks, I’m all ears. How about maximizing the best way to maintain status for years to come? Any pitfalls to avoid?
Thank you for the thread and look forward to hearing from those that have plenty of experience.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA Exp., AC 75k, A3 Silver, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum
Qualified for EXP for the first time ever last week. I had enough miles last year, but only reached PLT on dollars - happy to finally make it this year, even with 6 months of no flying. I see many CX F lounges in my future.

Got my first trip as an EXP coming up, and I've been upgraded on all of my segments - I've only ever had one upgrade go through before this. Should qualify for the extra SWUs after this, too.

If I may continue with the theme of Jimmy Buffett quotes, I'll contribute some (slightly modified) lyrics:
Over heard the engineer
Say something bout the landing gear
Now we're running strictly on
Charlotte time
robertablake likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 6:40 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
I made it for the first time last year - had to take a December mileage run (and visit family to make it worthwhile) to hit it. I did not hit it this year since my travel has shut down since March, but since I made it last year, my status is set to 2022.

It was nice having it in early 2020, I was upgraded for 10 of 13 segments. I will say I am disappointed with systemwide upgrades as they can’t be applied to award tickets. Having over 400k points, I just used those to book three business class tickets to Europe next year, assuming the pandemic doesn’t cancel next year’s fun as it did this year.
ranran likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by quinella66
I made it for the first time last year - had to take a December mileage run (and visit family to make it worthwhile) to hit it. I did not hit it this year since my travel has shut down since March, but since I made it last year, my status is set to 2022.

It was nice having it in early 2020, I was upgraded for 10 of 13 segments. I will say I am disappointed with systemwide upgrades as they can’t be applied to award tickets. Having over 400k points, I just used those to book three business class tickets to Europe next year, assuming the pandemic doesn’t cancel next year’s fun as it did this year.
To me, EP is currently the best of the "top tier" statuses for the major U.S. airlines. It's been devalued over the years, and it's not even technically top-tier anymore since CK became an actual status level a few years back, but it's still the best currently in the U.S. at its level, IMO.

Complimentary upgrades for EPs on North/Central America/Caribbean award tickets is actually still a relatively recent phenomenon, BTW -- I'm not surprised SWUs aren't allowed on award tickets (and wouldn't expect that to change anytime soon).

One World Emerald status (a benefit of EP) is probably also the best worldwide top-tier alliance status. I can only assume the people who stick to UA 1K or DL DM status must have very specific reasons for doing so like being limited geographically to areas primarily served by SkyTeam/Star Alliance, and/or their company has corporate contracts with UA/DL.

I've been tempted to switch to DL due to their often superior cabin service on domestic flights (pre-COVID, anyway), but EP status and its perks are honestly the main thing that's kept me flying mostly AA/OW.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 11:03 am

Programs: AA Exp., AC 75k, A3 Silver, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by metallo
One World Emerald status (a benefit of EP) is probably also the best worldwide top-tier alliance status.
There's no "probably" about it - I'd say it's the only top-tier alliance status. SkyTeam Elite Plus and Star Alliance Gold are equivalent to Oneworld Sapphire, since they only give Business-class lounge access, check-in, and boarding. None of the other alliances have an equivalent.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlatinum
Literally on my flight from OGG to DFW...will put me into EXP status for the first time.

Nuts to think I did this in 2020 but a new job at a small company allowed for a lot of domestic travel.

Won’t be able to use it for the rest of this year but looking forward to flying again in 2021!
Old Nov 29, 2020, 8:36 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Just made it a few days ago .. probably the longest time to took for me to make it to EXP since I started to shoot for it. Due to COVID, I had a few trips cancelled, then I did a trip to GRU in August and being able to retain EXP became feasible if I took a small MR and earned my EQMs thru the CITI card.

EQDs — $10268
EQMs — 60108

2 trips in J to GRU
1 trip in domestic F to SJC — Same day MR
10000 EQMs earned thru CITI EXEC and was able to complete the spend requirements mid November.

4 extra SWUS in the account can’t hurt especially if I plan on taking a summer vacation to Brazil with family. I have Asia planned but I don’t see them opening up to tourists by summer 2021.
robertablake likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA Exp Plat, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold, UA Silver, AF Silver, National EE, Hertz Pres Circle
About 50 of them came after June ...

robertablake likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 1:40 pm

Programs: American Airlines EXP
EQM 61,249
EQD $9,503
EQS 20

MCI-MAD-BCN-LHR-ORD-MCI in Feb, MCI-DFW-NRT-BKK-HAN-NRT-DFW-MCI in Mar, and 2 trips to Vegas
Old Nov 30, 2020, 4:16 pm

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
I took a flight this morning MIA to PHL (bumpy as all tits flight due to that storm). I was hoping it would poke me over, and yay! By 3pm this afternoon the EQD tipped me over!

I’ve only been Platinum Pro for about 4 weeks so it’s quite fun to hit it.

So my question is - most of my flying has been long haul on BA between October and now, so the EQD earning has been especially good.
Did I read correctly that these carry over and count for 2021 earning? If so, I’ll be half way to renewal from January already!

ranran likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
I believe the "carry-over" for 2021 earnings is for flights taken from Oct 1 until the end of the year.
Jet Ranger likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by metallo
To me, EP is currently the best of the "top tier" statuses for the major U.S. airlines. It's been devalued over the years, and it's not even technically top-tier anymore since CK became an actual status level a few years back, but it's still the best currently in the U.S. at its level, IMO.

Complimentary upgrades for EPs on North/Central America/Caribbean award tickets is actually still a relatively recent phenomenon, BTW -- I'm not surprised SWUs aren't allowed on award tickets (and wouldn't expect that to change anytime soon).

One World Emerald status (a benefit of EP) is probably also the best worldwide top-tier alliance status. I can only assume the people who stick to UA 1K or DL DM status must have very specific reasons for doing so like being limited geographically to areas primarily served by SkyTeam/Star Alliance, and/or their company has corporate contracts with UA/DL.

I've been tempted to switch to DL due to their often superior cabin service on domestic flights (pre-COVID, anyway), but EP status and its perks are honestly the main thing that's kept me flying mostly AA/OW.
I've had top status on the Big 3 and OW Emerald beats Star Alliance Gold by a mile. Better lounges (First Class JAL Lounge at Narita beats ANA,etc.) and more perks.

AA is what it is, but more goodies than I had with UA or DL. Delta SkyPesos in particular are of low value.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019
AA is what it is, but more goodies than I had with UA or DL. Delta SkyPesos in particular are of low value.
Agree... from reading the DL forum (at least pre-COVID, not so sure about now), many DL elites seemed to find SkyPesos to be of best use for TOD upgrades on paid tickets, rather than for booking outright J/F award tickets.

As EP/CK, AA miles can actually be great for booking cheap WebSaver awards in Y and getting a complimentary upgrade on 500 mile upgrade-eligible routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.