Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Shout out to PIT - 5:30 am (baggage Routing save)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2020, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp

This morning I flew PIT-DFW, continuing DFW-DSM this evening. I was originally supposed to go PIT-DSM today, but had to squeeze in a detour to DFW before heading home to DSM. I called AA and had them make the switch for me.

I've done 1d trips before, outbound early am, work, return early evening, with 2 checked work bags. In my head, todays PIT-DFW and DFW-DSM were the same ... Which of course they weren't, rather just a loooong layover on one long return.

So this morning when I checked in at the ticket counter with my 2 checked bags, I was surprised I got both boarding passes. Only after I got to my gate did I suddenly wonder about my 2 checked bags, which I'd need with me in DFW. Yup, checked all the way thru to DSM.

I raced back to the ticket counter, explained I had forgotten to clarify I needed the bags checked thru only to DFW. The original and next-door TA worked on this for me and were great, as was the guy in baggage (Joe I think). The TA updated and printed two new bag tags and taped them to the bottom of an empty luggage bin, complete with priority tags, and sent them back to baggage.

The app told me they were loaded on the plane with me, and they were both on the baggage carousel in DFW. YAY!

As a many year UA 1k and newly minted AA EP, I had low expectations this would work after dismal results over the years with UA when rerouting bags after check-in. So, I am very appreciative of the early morning PIT employees that helped out today and just wanted to say THANKS!
cmd320, dls25, Thysk and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
It’s always nice to hear about good staff.

Make sure you email AA and tell them about your positive experience with the staff there.
Spanish likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Happy to do - can you recommend an email address?
Old Nov 19, 2020, 10:32 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

I'd actually not write what they did, just that they were very helpful. It's against policy to "short-check" bags with layovers < (I think) 12 hours. It's not what you were doing, but some can do it to game the hidden city ticket aspect. I've been told in the past that agents are audited and can/will get reprimanded for violating procedure and short-checking (or checking through on 2 separate itineraries). To be safe, just send a compliment in through AA but don't give any specifics.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 6:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by dorisrpas
Happy to do - can you recommend an email address?
The "contact us" link on AA.com actually goes to real people who read them (well, YMMV on reading comprehension level, but still real people). I'd use that.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the contact info and advice. The layover was exactly 12 hours, which I did hear the one TA mention. I know there is a rule about short-checking, just never knew the exact time interval. I'm grateful it worked out this time (and I learned!), although I did tell them if they needed to change the ticket so bags could get off in DFW, that was ok. Still impressed the bag handling actually worked! Thanks again!
Old Nov 20, 2020, 9:43 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
PIT seems to be a pleasant surprise in general for customer service, and in particular for AA and the airlines from the past that have become part of present-day AA. Which is in stark contrast to PHL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.